So excited!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeannag

Reaction score
I am so excited my hubby game me our old dog kennel space for my rabbits. It is 10x10 and is 6 feet tall with a door and it tarpped. I am excited. right now all that is in their is straw. So tell me what should I do? I will bring in their hutches (i have 2 rabbits right now) and then let them run around during the day and put them in their houses at night. What should I have in their pen area for them to play with and hop around on?

Will also dedicate a bed in my garden for them to much on. Last year I had strawberries they loved the leaves, lettuce and carrots, they also loved our apple limbs/for wood for them to chew on.
I have attached a picture of my two girls. (both fixed)

Attachments

• DSCF5256.JPG
    DSCF5256.JPG
    115.4 KB
Pretty girls! They will love to have the kennel as a play yard. I would provide a way for them to get back into their hutches if they want to, because, after all, "there is no place like home"!

Firstly, you need to prevent them from burrowing out. 2" x 4" welded or woven wire fencing would work for my standard sized rabbits, but I think a Polish might be able to squeeze through that, so you might need something with smaller holes. Chicken wire will rust and weaken too quickly, so find something with a heavier gauge, or use rubber horse stall mats, scrap plywood, or something else as a subfloor to prevent them from digging their way to freedom. Personally, I think something that allows urine to drain would be ideal, but I used what I had on hand for mine. Here is the link to my play colony:

new-and-improved-play-colony-t5318.html?hilit=%20play%20colony

It now also has a long shelf on 12" x 12" cinder blocks which is a good place for the bread pan "water trough" I provide for water. Being raised up above the bedding it doesn't get soiled. They like to jump up on things and lounge around, surveying their domain. If you can find any scrap pipe big enough for them to run through, they would like that too. Someone mentioned using old tires, and I think that would be a good option providing they don't think they are good to eat... which I doubt they would, but I would be watchful at first. I am sure they would have fun on ramps, and they would enjoy boxes with holes cut in them to hide in too. Think of a child's playground and go from there!

Back