Skinny back and hips with flabby bulging belly Coccidosis?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damani

Reaction score
DSCN3323.JPGDSCN3322.JPGDSCN3331.JPGI have an eight month old buck that has sired a couple of kits that is now not interested in mating. Indeed, his back bone and pelvis 'stick out' and his belly or flanks are saggy. I noticed a couple of days ago, his eyes have a white bump in the corners closest to his nose. His appetite is okay, his stools are fine, but he just started sneezing today. His mother's sister, has always been so bony her rib cage flares out, but she eats fine, no sneezing or other problems. I thought about coccidosis. Any ideas?

I thought it was his third eyelid, but why is it visible as a bump? He doesn't seem to be too hungry or thirsty, but he accepted greens this morning.

It sounds like he's in pretty rough shape.

If he were one of my meat bucks, I would cull him. I prefer breeding animals with strong immune systems.

If he's someone you don't want to give up on, you can try treating him for cocci and/or worms.

If he won't eat pellets, feed him whatever else he will take. Oats and hay, boss, greens, etc. Watch his poops, and if they seem to get smaller or stop, begin treatment for gi stasis. Make sure he stays hydrated.

You likely want to keep him quarantined during the process, just in case his sneezing turns into something worse. Watch for matted paws or white snot.

Dood: He is a product of a cross between a Satin and an Angora. I wanted to keep this one to breed back to the Angora, the others out of the litter I butchered, and their livers were spotless (and delicious). He did breed successfully, but the kits crawled out of the nest and died, there were only two. I just noticed in the last week that his third eyelids were exposed, and his flanks were droopy, when I petted him, his spine and top of his pelvic bones were popping out. His stools are perfect, he is interested in food, just not as bouncy as he used to be and sneezing.
I also have a problem with mice in the rabbitry. Yesterday it looked like a dozen baby mice 'came out of the woodwork' when I started filling food bowls and I spent hours chasing the little blighters out of the J feeders. One was actually drinking water from one water bottle! I suspect their urine and feces are getting into the rabbit food.

-- Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:45 am --

Zass: No indication of mucus. I wanted to document for this forum, my use of homeopathy to treat rabbits, which is kind of tough because they don't communicate their 'mental state' much other than by a change from normal in their behavior. He eats his pellets just fine, also eating leafy greens and barley straw.
So, to repertorize *his symptoms, I picked a few based on objective observation:
Distended abdomen, loss of muscle (emaciation), poor appetite, sneezing, listlessness and the 'pop eyed' look. Rather than listing the signs and symptoms that are common to the disease, I picked the ones I could observe without reading too much into it, and what has changed from normal. When I plug those (rubrics) into a grid, a list of various homeopathic substances pop up with those symptoms in common, ranked by how often they are mentioned in the literature (Materia Medica) as symptoms people report occurring when testing the substance (or toxicology reports) or cured (clinical proofs) with the substance.
Quite a few remedies have these symptoms, so you narrow down the field by adding the 'red herring' or the strange, rare, and peculiar (SRP) sign-the pop-eyes. Then you look through the remedy profiles to see what kind of distended abdomen--is it flabby or hard, on one side or the other, etc. This is what the list looks like; the descriptors are called Rubrics: the numbers in parantheses are indicating how many remedies include that symptom or rubric
1. MIND - Mood, disposition - Indolent, listless, lethargic, ambitionless (39)
2. GENERALS - FLABBY feeling (107)
3. GENERALS - ATROPHY - Muscles; of (33)
4. ABDOMEN - ENLARGED (66)
5. ABDOMEN - ENLARGED - children; in - marasmus [wasting of muscles due to malnutrition-sometimes parasite caused](10)
6. STOMACH - APPETITE - capricious appetite (78)
7. STOMACH - APPETITE - changeable (33)
8. BACK - EMACIATION (19)

9. EYE - PROTRUSION - exophthalmos (49)
*Repertorizing is a homeopathy term which was developed (decades after the founder died) by a doctor Kent to systemically look at symptoms given off by the patient in order to speed up the process of looking in the literature for a match.

This program I have automatically arranges the list of remedies in a grid based on how strong the occurrence of those rubrics show up in the literature. The top ranking remedy was Calcarea carbonica, #2 was Sulphur, #Phosphoricum #4 Natrium muriaticum. #1 included all of my rubrics, but many of them were weakly represented. Rubric 5 is only mentioned in 10 remedies so that one wasn't helpful as much as causative, and could be combine with rubric 4. Rubric 8 is also more defined than rubric 3, and could have been combined.

Mental symptoms in rabbits can only be determined by behavior. General symptoms affect the entire organism, local symptoms such as abdomen, stomach, back, all make up a 'three legged stool' by which we can build a comprehensive symptom profile to match to a remedy profile--'like cures like'.

So to the Materia Medica, I looked at keynote symptoms of Calc carb- as for matching the mental symptom, it wasn't much of a match other than 'slowness' and 'weakness of will' I had to read into his lack of desire for mating to get this, so maybe not so good.

Ah, maybe this is getting too pedantic, which my friends accuse me of when talking about how homeopathy works, so I will skip the boring details and get to the point: I initially tried putting Sulfur (homeopathic pellet) in his water bottle, but he wasn't thirsty. I chose Sulfur because I was desperate and really didn't truly match the list of ailments to the remedy. Sometimes Sulphur 'defines' the symptom picture of the patient by bringing out the less noticeable aspects to the surface (one of the qualities of sulfur).
Nonetheless, Natrum muriaticum seemed a much better match when I looked at the more detailed literature:
Great emaciation; losing flesh while living well--this was most frequently reported in the clinical proofs of Nat mur and pretty much sums up what is wrong with this animal without looking for the cause or opening it up to see the liver, etc.
But remember the SRP? Another keynote symptom of Natrium muriaticum is PRESSURE IN THE EYES.

Now, the way that homeopathy 'works' is to imitate the symptoms of the patient with an artificial temporary disease in order to stimulate the defense mechanism to overcome it--not create antibodies or suppress symptoms or kill anything. It works on a nanoparticle level by tweaking the DNA. We only exhibit signs of illness when we are SUSCEPTIBLE, or our defense mechanism is weakened. Just so, the remedy will only 'work' if we are susceptible to it.

Next is the application of the remedy... if anyone is interested in following this please let me know.

-- Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:19 pm --

DSCN3333.JPG
Celice":17qpy7sd said:
how are they in drinking?

the white thing in the eye is the third eyelid

Just a note about his third eyelids. I was concerned that they were visible, meaning his eyes are 'popped out'. The remedy I gave him created an 'aggravation' that is, a symptom of the remedy, not the native illness. Nat mur also has a lot of allergic rhinitis symptoms and one of them is "redness in the margins of the [eye] lids." That symptom was not present before I gave the remedy, but it developed overnight in both eyes. Usually this 'aggravation' is an intensification of existing conditions prompted by the remedy, and therefore, a confirmation or 'proof' that you got a good match. Remember, it is artificial and temporary.

Christmas Day, Bucky breathed his last, I tried several remedies, to which he did not respond, basically he starved to death, I kept giving him water by squirting it in his mouth, but he would not eat the last two days.

Back