Six week old kits getting sick :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpm

Reaction score
They are NZ/Californian mutts. There are nine of them in a 5'x3' grow out pen. Today I noticed that they are coughing (maybe sneezing?) and shaking their head while the do it. They don't seem too worse for wear and as far as I can tell are eating and drinking.

Any idea what this is and how to deal with it? Maybe just a cold that they will get over?

weaning stress is showing you that your rabbits are carrying pasturella... possibly.

Or you have something come through your herd like bordatella that's affecting your kits.

Or you need to check their ears for mites.

Thank you for the reply, I will check for mites. The other two conditions is it worth trying to treat or just let it run its course and cull the kits that get too bad? <br /><br /> -- Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:57 am -- <br /><br /> Went out this morning and they didn't sneeze/cough while I was out there for maybe an hour. Also no mites. Assuming they are successfully building up their own immunity after being weaned.

Thanks for all the advice!

We are grateful that there was no discharge from the eyes or nose, and still no coughing or sneezing with the head shaking today. I checked 4-5 of them for mites or irritation in their ears, didn't see anything unusual. So good news today after having got a little worried yesterday.

They are in a 5'x3' grow out pen with a wire floor and sides. No shavings or hay to be allergic to. Trying to be careful with their water and the rest of the herd so if there is some issue it isn't spread.

Sounds like they are getting better- thats great!
Keep us updated when anything changes :) <br /><br /> -- Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:57 pm -- <br /><br /> Sounds like they are getting better- thats great!
Keep us updated when anything changes :)

jpm":3v9345jf said:
Thanks for all the advice!

We are grateful that there was no discharge from the eyes or nose, and still no coughing or sneezing with the head shaking today. I checked 4-5 of them for mites or irritation in their ears, didn't see anything unusual. So good news today after having got a little worried yesterday.

They are in a 5'x3' grow out pen with a wire floor and sides. No shavings or hay to be allergic to. Trying to be careful with their water and the rest of the herd so if there is some issue it isn't spread.
Had you just topped off water crocks or anything? I know my young ones will be either overly ambitious or misjudge water levels or something making them sneeze and shake their head a bit if they dip their nose in too far.

At least whatever it is/was doesn't seem to be getting worse!

Here is a quote from the "various rabbit diseases" thread:

This bacterium is the cause of the respiratory condition known as "snuffles." Snuffles actually describes a symptom, not exactly the illness. Snuffles are paroxysms of head-jerking sneezing that occur on a regular basis. The symptom of snuffles is almost certainly a result of pasteurella multocida. If your rabbit is sneezing, and you see ANY white sticky snot in its nose, it’s not a cold, it’s Pasteurella multocida.
You said they were sneezing and shaking their heads...
But if they aren't doing it anymore, snuffles is probably not it :)

Back