Should I put him down?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandits Bunny Farm

Reaction score
One of my kits got cut a week or so ago, and I kept him inside for a couple of days to keep an eye on him, but I decided he was ok, so I put him back outside. Today I picked him up, and I realized that his wound got infected! I ended up opening the scab, so that I could see how bad the infection was.... It's pretty deep. It was like thick glue. Some pus is literally stuck to the skin(? Muscle?). He doesn't seem in pain, but I soaked it in hot saltwater, and then I ran hot water on the wound. Will he be ok or should I put him down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 557
I don't even know if it would be safe to stitch it up due to the infection.
Honestly though, if you don't have a way to close it up (if you have a friend who is a nurse, maybe they can stitch it up for you?) I wouldn't try to keep the kit. That looks too deep to be able to heal up on its own. :(

Well before I reopened up his wound, it had scabbed up pretty well. But when I realized that it was infected, I had to open it up again to clean it out. He's super active, even with an open wound. And unfortunately, he's spok for :angry:

Bandits Bunny Farm":1n5hinec said:
Well before I reopened up his wound, it had scabbed up pretty well. But when I realized that it was infected, I had to open it up again to clean it out. He's super active, even with an open wound. And unfortunately, he's spok for :angry:

I don't know if you can do this with bunnies or not, but maybe you could use superglue to glue the edges of the wound together? I would honestly get some advice from someone with a medical background or a lot of experience with this sort of thing if you can. You don't want to get gangrene setting in or anything.

I know a few things about the situation. 1) you should probably clip the hair away from the wound site. 2) It needs to be free from infection and have some sort of anti-infection stuff in there to kill the bacteria. 3) the wound needs to heal from the inside-out 4) the wound needs to be protected 5) it needs to be protected in a way that the bunny can't get to it.

That's what I have to offer... as well as best wishes for the little guy :/

Bandits Bunny Farm":mfxazm13 said:
I have a lady that might be able to take him and take care of him. I have to see though...

Oh that would be excellent!! Keep us updated! Poor little guy....

A few of my barn cats have come back a couple times with pretty deep wounds. I have used Vetericyn and it works wonders. Spray the wound a couple of times. I would probably do it twice a day. Once in the morning, once in the evening. One of my mom's friends had a horse with a football-sized wound in its chest and after spraying it for a couple of weeks he healed up just fine. As long as he's not in pain, I wouldn't put him down. Hope this helps :D

I'm not a vet but I've treated quite a few wounds on horses (with a vets advice) don't try to close the wound if it is infected. Treat it with a wound spray. As long as it doesn't get dirty you probably don't need to wash it out just keep treating it with the wound spray. Given that the flies are out you might try one of those repellent wound sprays to keep the flies off it. It probably wouldn't hurt to give him some antibiotic since he has the infection but I'll leave it to other to advise how much and what kind.

As long as you can get the infection under control it will heal. He may have a scar.

Any updates? Man that wound looks bad.. :cry: I agree with the advice already given to keep it clean and let it heal from the inside out..Move him to a place away from others that may groom him, you don't want further injury or to spread infection. Maybe try Nu-stock or Blu-kote once the healing has started..
How in the world did this happen??

Well I have the rabbits in a colony now, and when the babies were about 3 1/2 weeks old, a friend of mine gave me a little (I mean it was TINY) bunny pen that she had when she had her rabbits. So I decided that it was time to move the babies into the colony in the little pen. Well, just a few hours later, a couple of them had figured out that they could just hop over it.

So we have this big cage that we cut the bottom off of because it was super rusty, and I put that over the pen. Well we came home from somewhere and one of my mini lop mix does had escaped, so I went to get her back in, and I realized that the kit had gotten out. A couple of days later, I noticed a little brown feather hanging from his side (a bit of his fur), and I kinda felt a scab, so I moved his fur so I could get a better look at it, and accidentally opened the wound. I should have gotten pictures, but I didnt.

I kept him in for a couple of days, and he seemed perfectly normal, like nothing had happened, and it had scabbed, so I decided to put him back out. Today when I picked him up to check on it, kind of near his elbow, it felt kind of squishy, so I pressed it, and pus came out. It was about the consistency of thick glue. I opened the wound, cleaned it out as best I could, and sprayed vetericyn on it twice. He totally acts fine. I keep the kits in a bigger pen in the colony that looks like 5 baby gates hooked together (so you know what I'm talking about) but I have all 7 in the cage in my room because it's supposed to rain and I don't know what else to do with them until we put a roof on the colony.

Sounds like he squeezed out underneath the rusty gate and cut himself on one of the bottom edges :/

If you haven't done so already, I would go ahead and trim the fur down around the wound to help keep the edges clean and so you can keep a closer eye on it. Certainly don't let him in with the other rabbits right now, like katiebear said, they will groom the wound and keep irritating it.

Any word whether your friend can take him and tend to him for you?

If you have a small cage or cat carrier that would be best. Keeping him isolated from the group will keep him from further injury. You are going to need to trim the hair and keep the wound open and clean. Antibiotic should be used twice a day. If you have injectable I would use that too. If he got cut by rusty wire you may be looking at tetanus... :(

That's really good to hear.. :D I was hoping you could get him through this..it will build your confidence..you are a strong and smart young person...Thank you for the update :cool: :bunnyhop:

Latest posts

Back