Should I intervene for this kit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure we've had different experiences, but I wouldn't feed it to a dog. They might get a taste for it and try getting the other ones.

Plus, this is just for me, but I tried saving a baby rabbit from my outside cat and it would have lived if my dog hadn't LITERALLY CHUCKED it around
Also I think that it's spirit would be more peaceful buried or outside

Yeah the point about feeding it to your dog could be an issue. We only feed our dog dog food.
I guess i assumed that they already decided to feed the baby to the dog. Our neighbor feeds meat to their German Shepards, I would gladly give them the scraps after if processing our friers. Or to a dog musher.
I have no problems with folks who grow rabbits for their dogs, reptiles n such. As long as it's not a slimey rabbitry.
I'm pretty certain that the folks on this site take humane care of their livestock and raise healthy animals.
This is a good discussion because it is a part of the process and good thoughts

I'm sure we've had different experiences, but I wouldn't feed it to a dog. They might get a taste for it and try getting the other ones.

Plus, this is just for me, but I tried saving a baby rabbit from my outside cat and it would have lived if my dog hadn't LITERALLY CHUCKED it around
Also I think that it's spirit would be more peaceful buried or outside
My dog has been eating raw rabbit it's whole life as I purchase it freeze dried from online retailers. He seems to clearly know the difference between a live animal and food in his dish. He's actually smelled the live kits while in my hand and has been trained "leave it" which means he's allowed no more than to smell. I've used this training technique for years with dogs. To know it works and the dog actually understands,, you eventually use actual food he's allowed to eat (but it's not placed in his dish), put upon the floor, told to leave it and the dog obeys and leaves it forever. It's a training that must be done very early in life and must be done methodically and correctly. In the dog's mind, you are top dog and anything you tell him not to touch through the leave it command he knows not to touch and will not if given consistent training and reminder training over the years.

My dog has been eating raw rabbit it's whole life as I purchase it freeze dried from online retailers. He seems to clearly know the difference between a live animal and food in his dish. He's actually smelled the live kits while in my hand and has been trained "leave it" which means he's allowed no more than to smell. I've used this training technique for years with dogs. To know it works and the dog actually understands,, you eventually use actual food he's allowed to eat (but it's not placed in his dish), put upon the floor, told to leave it and the dog obeys and leaves it forever. It's a training that must be done very early in life and must be done methodically and correctly. In the dog's mind, you are top dog and anything you tell him not to touch through the leave it command he knows not to touch and will not if given consistent training and reminder training over the years.
If only it was that way with cats
S.T. (Spotted Tabby) Snatched Pearl the other day when she slid off the couch and I had to chase him down

Latest posts

Back