Should I cull?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
So got two kits from a show yesterday. They are just 7 weeks. The are as big as my 10 week old kits, with a higher arch and a wider shoulder (more square vs my v shaped kits). I was going to cull my kits because they are bucks but now after seeing these kits, it really makes me want to cull what I have to make plenty of room for them. What do you think?

Knee jerk response here....Make haste ..Slowly....

If You have the room to allow them all to grow and mature a bit longer... that would be my suggestion... Sometimes the ducklings turn into swans....

Bucks... i do tend to be a bit harder on... so i really need a Good reason to follow my own advice...

I agree. Many rabbits are late-developers, and you could wind up culling out some very nice rabbits in the process.

Skysthelimit,
I would cull the excess Bucks that show the least promise.
The ones that do, I would watch for awhile just to see
who lives up to my/your expectations.
Then continue with the cull keeping only the very best as a herd replacement.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :pancake: :eek:ldtimer:

Just so you know:
CULL does not mean KILL!
Look it up in a dictionary
so you can understand what people are saying
when they use the word CULL!
" Cull" to separate away from the herd or group.
When you Cull, you can sell as a Pet, or food source,
or for any other reason that you deem fit.
The Rabbit may even be used as a breeder for someone raising only
for meat and not worried about color or type.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

AngelsGirl":3h4u8o5q said:
Sell!!! DO not cull them just because they are bucks!!!!

Very true Ottersatin, though in my case, these guys will probably end up as meat.
Rex don't sell at all. No one wants Rex here, no one sells Rex here, unless you are selling to another Rex breeder. These guys have been advertised several places since the day they were born. There is really no market for rabbits in the hood, or really anywhere around here unless you've got NZ/Cal for 4H meat pens or cute dwarf breeds for little kids.

Here excess bunnies go to the dogs, the original purpose for raising rabbits.

__________ Sun May 13, 2012 3:57 pm __________

I've been told that should is one of those things that will never get better. What you have at 10 weeks is what you've got.<br /><br />__________ Sun May 13, 2012 4:06 pm __________<br /><br />
SatinsRule":3h4u8o5q said:
I agree. Many rabbits are late-developers, and you could wind up culling out some very nice rabbits in the process.

Some things not in there favor--

1. They are bucks, my buck to doe ratio is not very good right now.
2. I have three litter in boxes, so there are replacements.
3. I have the original sire
4. They are brokens, and I am tired of brokens.
5. They have a bit longer shoulder.

Things in their favor
1. They are sweet tempered
2. They are colors I want to maintain in the herd
3. They have high arches and good depth

Do what is best for your herd. If you know how your lines develop and know those kits wont be better then the others and know they wont sell just knock em. I have done the same thing. Its about knowing your lines. I know which lines I have that develop very slow and which ones dont. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make room so the others can grow and develop the way they need to.

well, you do know that Jack is improving as he gets older-- and I would like soeething other than full siblings to cover the two girls! later on, I would be willing to be your grow out site@!!! Jack's coat improvement, is something you were not expecting-- and his shoulders are maintaining their width very well...

Frosted Rabbits":1wy4g6j1 said:
well, you do know that Jack is improving as he gets older-- and I would like something other than full siblings to cover the two girls! later on, I would be willing to be your grow out site@!!! Jack's coat improvement, is something you were not expecting-- and his shoulders are maintaining their width very well...

Jack brother (no name yet) is a keeper, and comes from a faster growing line. The judge yesterday said he had good typed, a bit narrow in the shoulder but still that color is uneven. However, I will not fault him for that color, castors are hard to work with. I haven't quite figured out how to improve color in a castor.

The broken kits, seem to be slower developing in every way. There's nothing wrong with a slower growing, but somethings don't fix themselves. I put them back in the crate, but I'm thinking now, unless they turn out super, they still won't replace the current herd sire, or the back up, Adieux's brother. And I have one older Opal, same sire/dam that doesn't have any rings at 4mos old. Don't think I'm going to mess around with him either.

I would wait to cull until 12 weeks, that's when I really put the hammer down on who gets to stay and who gets to leave. They might be late developers, but I would want to breed towards earlier developers anyways. Gets them to a nice butchering size faster, primes them for the table at an earlier age, and then you're not feeding them as long before they start being productive for you.

Don't cull yet, but keep an eye on them.

Back