Sherwood Forest Natural Rabbit Food?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartofagirl

Reaction score
I was on a website for rabbit hutches when the poster posted their review on Sherwood Forest rabbit food, it even showed pictures of her feed compared to Sherwood pellets. The Sherwood were green while her current pellets were brown. I was looking at the maintenance rabbit food and it says "is designed to be fed free-choice without rationing and without the need to provide additional hay, supplements, or treats." Also, there's no corn or soy. A 3 lb Holland Lop would go through 4.5 lbs in a month, which would cost $13.71 a month (including shipping). I'm guessing a 6 lb rabbit would go through 9 lbs a month? So $25.46 a month (including shipping). Does that seem like a lot of $? I love the idea of having to not supply hay..or is that a bad idea? I can buy 50 lb bag of pellets at TC for $15-20, but the quality isn't going to be fresh and may have a lot of "dust"..I can't think of the term. I also like that it can be shipped for a flat fee of $4.95.

The food only has 14% protein so is not suitable for breeding does or growing kits who ideally require 18% protein.

If your rabbits are just house pets then it is a good choice as they are less likely to get fat on it. If your rabbits are outside in the winter then you should feed them a higher protein brand of food in the colder months.

I personally would never stop feeding hay since my rabbits play with it and I consider it 'mental stimulation' but the feed you mention does have a higher fibre level so you probably don't need to supplement unless you have a wooly breed.

Some rabbits do not like a firmly compresses pellet that leave less dust /fines in the bag, and that stay green longer as they don't oxidize as quickly. Horse feeds are often very firmly pressed and several members say their rabbits wont eat them. Please consider that it may take a while to switch your rabbit to the new food.

I got a "free sample" of their Sherwood food...my rabbits loved it. :)

But for all the reasons Dood listed, it isn't practical for me, as I have lactating does AND my rabbits are outside. In a lean-to but still. :p

Really, really, really good stuff, You can get a free 2 pound sample if you pay shipping.

If I'm going to feed pellets they are it. The rabbits like them and have great body condition on them. They have several formulas including one for growing animals and I would recommend the fortifying essentials, http://store.naturalrabbitfood.com/adult-rabbit-food/

it is designed to be fed with hay, hay really provides the rabbit with the mentally satisfying nibbling. If you have trouble finding hay in your area maybe get some grass hay cubes at tsc?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... _vc=-10005

Looking at the Label, it would seem that it nothing more than alfalfa pellets with oil (proprietary blend of plant oils) and minerals/vitamins. You could do about the same by taking alfalfa pellets, add some BOSS and/or flaxseed, and livestock grade molasses (for the B vitamins). Give them a mineral block and call it a day.

I've become such a skeptic...I hate labels that say "proprietary _____" But, what I'm currently feeding says that, too. I know it is to cover for the fact that the ingredients change based on availability.

Frecs - I agree with you if someone has multiple rabbits but for a person with one or a couple than this is a good alternative to most pellets.

Heartofagirl- I like the hay cubes over the pellets because of more long stemmed fiber. The amount varies but I've never heard of that much hay being fed! I always feed free choice.

dangerbunny":3cgunn8m said:
Frecs - I agree with you if someone has multiple rabbits but for a person with one or a couple than this is a good alternative to most pellets.

I think you missed my point. For one or 100 rabbits, the ingredients is nothing more than alfalfa with oil and vitamins/minerals added. Unless the oil improves the flavor of the pellet, there is a chance rabbits will reject it. Mine seem to HATE pure alfalfa pellets. They will kinda eat them if I give them a coating of molasses (which also adds B vitamins). (I can attest to the fact that alfalfa pellets are much more strongly odoriferous than alfalfa-based rabbit pellets so I suspect the flavor is also quite strong.)

IF your rabbit likes it, will eat it, and it is cost effective for you to mail order it then great. :)

It may be totally a coincidence, but the one rabbit I tried this food on developed kidney stones and kidney failure and had to be put down....

Latest posts

Back