She Kindled day 32 **pic**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well she's down to five from 8. Two were out of the nest box this morning when I checked and another was cold and dead just on the inside. The others seem to be doing well.

That's unfortunate... It happens sometimes. They don't release the teat when the doe decides dinner time is over and so get dragged out of the nest. Rabbits cannot carry their young back to the nest the way a dog or cat might.

Thanks Maggie! That seems like the logical explanation, they cannot climb out by themselves yet and I didn't see any wounds on them that make me think she was killing them on purpose. I guess the gluttons were eliminated....

Jamie Dog Trainer":itqob4lz said:
Thanks Maggie! That seems like the logical explanation, they cannot climb out by themselves yet and I didn't see any wounds on them that make me think she was killing them on purpose. I guess the gluttons were eliminated....

No, she wouldn't kill them on purpose. That is very rare and there would be signs. As for the gluttons being eliminated, you are right. So very often when a kit gets dragged out like that, it is the largest, plumpest one. It's sad to lose kits, but the remaining five will make the most of the extra milk and should grow faster as a result.

Well I feel really stupid. Hmmm...I went out later on yesterday afternoon after making the initial post about finding the little dead babies on the wire outside of the nest box. Later on I checked again and there were two more!!! Both were still alive, one was still nice and warm so I knew it hadn't been out long. I realized this is my fault as i under estimated the strength of these little babies, they were climbing out on their own as my nest box is just a cat crate. So I quickly changed the crate to the regular commercially made nest box I purchased yesterday.

The other was icy cold but moving so I tucked it into my bra against the warmest part of me and let it sit in there for about 20 minutes until it revived movement and started making sounds. Oh they are too adorable!!! I put it back with the litter hoping, but not really expecting, it to survive.

Much to my shock and delight it is not only still alive but nice and feisty as of late this evening.

One more exciting thing!!!...there's 6 babies in the nest box. Remember my question about finding more "tissue" in the hutch? I really think she had a very late baby...there's no other explanation as I took all the babies out of the nest box and placed them in a cardboard box to count them. And I counted as I put them back too and there were ONLY 8. So, I think she just had one more in there..about five to 7 hours after I thought she was done LOL

Nature is amazing!!!

Back