Sewing projects

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does not have a pedal, or a power cord, or a bobbin case, or any accessories. But at $8.99, I figured I wasn't taking much of a gamble! :p After all, I'd already found a website that sold pedals and pedal kits with all sorts of plugs, because the pedal for my Kenmore gets really hot if you sew for a while.

It's a Bernina Record 530-2. I have a lot of cleaning ahead of me!

Oh my what an awesome find! Clean it good and make sure everything works by hand. Then you can try to find a peddle on ebay. I think it takes the same feet as the 730 and 830 but I will warn you...bernina feet can be expensive! At least it looks like it comes with a zig zag foot.

Thanks, Alforddm! :D I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

The needle does move up and down when you turn the whatchamacallit on the side. It feels stiff, so I'm sure there's some very old oil in there possibly working on turning itself into varnish. Hopefully not.

I've done some poking around real quick. Found a manual on Bernina's website, and then found a really nice clear copy on dolfmeister.com (which I'd never heard of, so I looked it up before I downloaded from it). So far, I haven't found a power cord, but I haven't refined my search much. I did see this set of 18 feet on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Feet-Set-for ... xy6~BRz~jz

It works out to under $4 per foot! :fainting:

Yes, I do have a zig zag foot, so I can do most things with that until I get more feet.

I don't really know how to clean it internally, but I figure there have to be guides online for that.

Thank you! I saw that first assortment, but wondered about the condition of the cord. I did not see that new cord! :)

I'm not sure how the foot pedal is done. The machine was knee operated, but could be used with a foot pedal. I still have to look into exactly how. Lots of Christmas cleaning going on right now, so I'm only looking when I take breaks. :p I'm not buying right away... I need to get past Christmas and our mortgage payment. :roll:

Thank you! I saw that first assortment, but wondered about the condition of the cord. I did not see that new cord! :)

I'm not sure how the foot pedal is done. The machine was knee operated, but could be used with a foot pedal. I still have to look into exactly how. Lots of Christmas cleaning going on right now, so I'm only looking when I take breaks. :p I'm not buying right away... I need to get past Christmas and our mortgage payment. :roll:

Thanks for finding that new cord. Looks nice. I don't know why my search yesterday didn't bring it up, but all that matters is that I have a link to it now! :) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:35 pm __________ <br /><br /> On the bright side, my husband said I shouldn't have oil turning to varnish in there, unless they used the wrong oil. He said that over the years, it would have just slowly left all the spots where it belonged, so it should be just basically un-oiled.

I'll pop it open after Christmas.

What a fun Goodwill find!! I had an old one that was completely locked up - would.not.budge. With some oil and a lot of elbow greas (via DH, b/c my hands didn't have the strength) we got it moving. The mechanics underneath had dried out and locked up - I was able to systematically take it apart (yay old machines!) to figure out just where it was having problems and DH used his strong hands to break it free. I might have mentioned this already though?? Oi... no idea. SOrry if that's a repeat.

Miss M":17qbl481 said:
Heritage, did you take pics of that quilt?

Yes! I have them. Getting ready to head out, I'll post them this evening. Somehow I must not have opened this following an email notification and haven't been in on the posts in a while.

With these old all metal machines carburetor cleaner is your friend. It will strip off any old oil or grease and then you can reoil and regrease. Just be careful not to get it on the paint and use in a well ventilated area.

Here's the finished product! The quilting wasn't as smooth/free flowing as I had hoped because of all the tension issues I was fighting, but it got done. DH said he never thought he would be praying for a sewing machine, but that's just what we did. As I was doing the final section I said a huge "thank you, Lord!" for getting through it... I really didn't know what I was going to do. I spent a couple solid hours cleaning, tinkering, and struggling with multiple machines. Failure was not an option, and neither was tearing out what had already been done because I am sure it would have been ruined. DH was even going to drive me 2 hours to his sister's apt. in a neighboring city to pick up her machine if I didn't get it working right. It was that important of a project. Anyway, here it is! DONE - whew!

(This is the memory quilt I took on for a lady in Canada that lost her 3 children and father in a car accident in September. Ladies from around the country sent me fabric to represent the lives lost. It was heart breaking at times, and there were tears shed, but I was honored to do the work on it).

I need to get some photos in daylight before I ship it off...

Heritage, I saw your quilt a few days ago, but it was so nuts around here that I didn't have time to comment. It is so gorgeous! You did such a beautiful job... and I zoomed in and admired all your beautiful loops and hearts that you stitched on there. I know that lady will treasure that quilt always. :D Thank you for showing it to us!

Y'all are positively going to kill me. I posted about the $10 thrift store Bernina that (now that the hectic holidays are past) I'll be cleaning and gathering parts for. Wellll......

My aunt posted a link from CL on her FB page. It was for a big garage/warehouse sale... all the things from a furniture repair/restoration/reupholstery business, plus all the other assorted things that were kept in the warehouse. We decided to go by it on our way into town today, having no idea that the sale we were going to was being held by my aunt's sister, being the business items and other belongings of her husband who died in an accident some months ago.

We went in and started running into family, and that's when we found out. The owner of the warehouse had put it up for sale, since it was just sitting holding these items, but no one was actually using it anymore. The widow had been working through her grief, and knew she needed to do something about the warehouse. But the warehouse sold quickly, and suddenly she had to get out of it in a week. So she held this sale, and other family members tended to it when she wasn't there.

Right away, there were two sewing machines (one of which was ancient and frozen), but they were both sold. We started looking around at everything.

After a bit, tucked almost under some upholstery padding that was overflowing a box, I saw this handle protruding from a soft cover. Curious, I lifted the cover and found a portable sewing machine. I picked it up and set it on a table, and removed the cover completely. There before me was this:

BerninaA.jpg

My heart almost stopped. :fainting: ARE YOU KIDDING ME, ANOTHER BERNINA?!?

I took it up to my aunt's father and waited with butterflies while he helped someone else. When he was finally free, I asked him how much they were asking for this sewing machine. He replied that he hadn't even known it was there, and had no idea. But.... that old frozen machine sold at $15, so this working machine (yep, he plugged it in and momentarily pressed the pedal) should be worth $30.

You could have knocked me over. It was an incredible deal, I knew... but this is the tight check and I hesitated to spend that right now. My husband came to my rescue, and I bought it.

Then I got it home and looked it up. They still sell this machine new! MSRP is $1600! :fainting:

I called my aunt and told her all of this, and let her know that I couldn't offer more for the machine, but I wanted to give her sister the opportunity to get it back and sell it for more. She told me that that wasn't the point of the sale, and they knew there were probably things of worth in there that would go for way less than they could have. The point was to sell it all quickly and get it out of the warehouse. She said she was positive her sister would be completely fine with it, and for me to just count it as a blessing.

I'm still blown away.

Thanks Miss M - the quilt is on it's way to Canada now! Shipped it out yesterday - one of the errands I was doing during all the flash floods :roll: . I was so frustrated with the backing b/c I used spray basting for the first time trying to save time and the sides stretched and folded :cry: . It is what it is though... I hope she likes it. I wrote as a PS in her letter that if now was too hard, to please put it away until the time was right. If you Google the Neville-Lake Family you can see a LOT of news coverage on it.

Awesome deal on the machine! And you can enjoy it, guilt free, which makes it even better! Shows the integrity you have, which I greatly admire.

What a blessing! That is the type of machine that you will be able to pass down to Galadriel. Give it a good cleaning to be on the safe side and then get to work. You will be in heaven as soon as you start sewing with it. I've only had the opportunity to sew on a Bernina one time and it was the smoothest machine I've ever touched!

heritage":12kiiacl said:
I was so frustrated with the backing b/c I used spray basting for the first time trying to save time and the sides stretched and folded :cry: . It is what it is though... I hope she likes it. I wrote as a PS in her letter that if now was too hard, to please put it away until the time was right. If you Google the Neville-Lake Family you can see a LOT of news coverage on it.
I personally love handwork because it isn't perfect. I have a lot of my great-grandmother's embroidery and things, and I love looking at them and seeing the slight imperfections in her nearly-perfect stitching. It makes me remember her and wish that I had learned from her when I had the chance. I think that if the imperfections in the quilt bring anything to her mind, it will be that this quilt did not come from a production line; it came from the hands and machine of one lady who lovingly put it together just for her, from material given for just this quilt by many other ladies. :)

I looked up the family... what a terrible thing to happen. :cry:

heritage":12kiiacl said:
Awesome deal on the machine! And you can enjoy it, guilt free, which makes it even better! Shows the integrity you have, which I greatly admire.
:oops: Thank you! I knew I couldn't use it without making that phone call.

bikegurl":12kiiacl said:
What a deal on that sewing machine!! Enjoy!! :D
alforddm":12kiiacl said:
What a blessing! That is the type of machine that you will be able to pass down to Galadriel. Give it a good cleaning to be on the safe side and then get to work. You will be in heaven as soon as you start sewing with it. I've only had the opportunity to sew on a Bernina one time and it was the smoothest machine I've ever touched!
It is such a blessing! I have wanted to cry in frustration sometimes with the Kenmore, and Galadriel has come near that herself. She began avoiding the machine, doing everything she could by hand. I think these machines will bring the love back in both of us. Not that it was gone, only that it was mixed with dread. I do hope you're right, and sewing with these will be a pleasure, something to look forward to!

I have the manual, and it has a section on cleaning, so I'll be sure to do that first. :)

Is Singer sewing machine oil ideal? My husband encouraged me to use his steam engine oil, which is slightly more viscous (but still a light oil), and it did make the Kenmore run quieter than the sewing machine oil, and it lasted longer between oilings.

My 14 yeast old daughter came to me the other day and said "Mom remember those dresses toy used to make me when I was a little girl? Can you make me one? " I was surprised but agreed.

She told mewhatshewanted and I drafted the pattern from her duct tape bodice I had used to make her Halloween costume year before last. She loves it! She said it was sooo comfortable.

The only way she'd let me share was if I didn't show her face.

MissM, how did the berninas turn out?

Attachments

• PicsArt_03-19-03.22.35.jpg
    PicsArt_03-19-03.22.35.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 945
alforddm":31nhgm31 said:
My 14 yeast old daughter came to me the other day and said "Mom remember those dresses toy used to make me when I was a little girl? Can you make me one? " I was surprised but agreed.

She told mewhatshewanted and I drafted the pattern from her duct tape bodice I had used to make her Halloween costume year before last. She loves it! She said it was sooo comfortable.

The only way she'd let me share was if I didn't show her face.

MissM, how did the berninas turn out?

That, IMO, is the perfect "girl dress" - nicely done! I am still a bit intimidated by patterns... I would love for each of my girls to have a handful of those dresses, plus leggings, and that be the majority of their wardrobe. It would be so simple, and I like simple! That's what I am working towards for myself, somewhat of a "capsule wardrobe" I guess.

My mom is teaching me to sew. She is making an easter dress for me right now. (family tradition) we all dress in matching suits and dresses for church on easter.

Back