Seeking Cure or Tips to Reduce Rabbititus!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyHare

Reaction score
Ok- It's been confirmed by my friends. I'm sick - I've got Rabbititus.
(Know full well I don't need another breed but I make room for it!) I started out with a few cages now - I don't count; just put more in. LOL I'm getting better - First I wanted All colors now Blues and Blacks mainly. But I need meat breeds but I love the small breeds and You know that adorable French Lop. Well it needed a home and a friend. Well you see - It's getting there. Almost cured - Wait I just saw a nice ad for a dwarf - I'll be back. :lol:
Ok - It's a New Year! I've read the books and I know. Consolidate into a few breeds but It's like weightloss. I can read everything and know the right answers but it doesn't help. How did everyone come up with their cure or Are You All Sick Too? :roll:
Just Wondering - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you go to the cupboard and the cupboard is bare,
it will be drawn to your attention that you are housing
maybe just a few rabbits too many!
Your pocketbook will tell you when you are just a tad over the top.
Oh YES, we are all VERY infected with the disease [Rabbititus],
but we like to be able to eat ourselves, so we must know where/when
to draw the line! Look to your heart for the answer, it will tell you
when it is TIME!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Heh, I am currently feeding over 4 bags a feed a week. I DO NOT HAVE A COMERCIAL RABBITRY! :eek: I have about 75 kits, most of which are 8 weeks old....I am going to be curred one way or another (especially it feed prices keep going up) :p

I've always heard it as "rabbitosis", but as I understand it, there is no cure. Sorry!

I'm at three breeds and holding. . .

Nope, no cure at all. I was infected at 12ish with the disease, and went on as normal, thinkiong I was cured, for years. With no warning at all, at 21 I smelled a rabbitry. Within a month I had four rabbits. Then I bought eight more. Then I had babies, and then I was given some more.
:)

Now, due to poopy people who decided they didn't have the money to pay me anymore...I am back down to four. :( But, with any luck (and it is the year of the rabbit, after all) I will be back where I want to be, soon, this time with my OWN land. :)

I wanted 2 does and a buck. Now I have a small commercial operation. I go out in the cold and snow to feed and water (with bottles) twice a day. I am always hunting for cages and equipment...and more rabbits. My family has felt the purse strings tighten a couple of times because I found a 'once in a lifetime' deal. It is a sickness and my area has no Rabbits Anonymous.

It has recently gotten so bad that we were leaving to go somewhere and as we pulled out of the driveway, my three year old told me, "Mommy, you forgot your rabbits!" She was in a dead panic. I told her that we didn't have to take any rabbits anywhere that day and she didn't believe me. We ALWAYS take care of rabbit business when we go to town.

I don't know of a cure but there are treatments to lessen the negative impact and stigma of having rabbititis/rabbitosis. Really good recipes can help your budget stretch by lowering your feed bills (keeps rabbit numbers in check and you and your carnivorous critters can eat them) and turn people toward compassion and appreciation for your affliction when you invite them to dinner. Learning how to tan and pluck and knit hides and wool has the same effect when you make homemade gifts that would cost a fortune if your friends and family tried to buy them for themselves. It is totally irrelevant that you don't have a market for them - it's what they are worth that counts. Then, of course, there's Easter. People who'd whisper about you being "that weird rabbit lady/man down the street" will seek you out and treat you like their best friend at Easter.

Ive got Rabbititus bad! Only have one bun now, but he is literally showered with attention and might possibly be the most spoiled rabbit ever! Have dreams of getting a wonderful Doe for him though and having a few lil' ones hopping about. My dream is to have a very small, tight operation with some of the sweetest, cutest show-quality ELops around. Have alot to learn before that happens though... but I can still dream. :)

oh there is no cure!!! Sadly i understand this,,, dh told me no more buying rabbits..... So i just got the free ones off of craigslist and freecycle. I am intent on having a good mini rex line and an awesome meat mutt!!! I just need 4-5 more breeds to mix in thats all!

pastelsummer":910la7c3 said:
oh there is no cure!!! Sadly i understand this,,, dh told me no more buying rabbits..... So i just got the free ones off of craigslist and freecycle. I am intent on having a good mini rex line and an awesome meat mutt!!! I just need 4-5 more breeds to mix in thats all!

ROTFL !!!! :rotfl:

(wonder if my DH would accept that line of reasoning ? )

The only sure cure I have found is running out of space and money! Once you have hit rock bottom, you tend to self-correct, LOL.

pfaubush":sbjpcqm5 said:
I wanted 2 does and a buck. Now I have a small commercial operation. I go out in the cold and snow to feed and water (with bottles) twice a day. I am always hunting for cages and equipment...and more rabbits. My family has felt the purse strings tighten a couple of times because I found a 'once in a lifetime' deal. It is a sickness and my area has no Rabbits Anonymous.

It has recently gotten so bad that we were leaving to go somewhere and as we pulled out of the driveway, my three year old told me, "Mommy, you forgot your rabbits!" She was in a dead panic. I told her that we didn't have to take any rabbits anywhere that day and she didn't believe me. We ALWAYS take care of rabbit business when we go to town.

I have to admit...that is adorable! I only have 2 rabbits right now but I definately want/am planning on more...Rabbititus indeed! My 4 year old is always asking when he can have one (the cal/nz buck is my baby and the lop/satin doe was brought home by his dad) Every time we go somewhere he asks if we can bring another bunny home and if it can be his :oops: I think rabbititus spreads!

Oh and as a side note-We're building both all wire cages and some hutches to sell if you are interested. :)

mountainrabbits":2gupre79 said:
Oh and as a side note-We're building both all wire cages and some hutches to sell if you are interested. :)

And then...there are enablers.
:beer2:
I LOVE enablers!!!

I am my own enabler, going to look at two more hutches today since I have some new Silver Foxes coming soon!

Latest posts

Back