School frustrations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JessicaR":2mtzy881 said:
I don't think I could do homeschool...
If it is a feeling that you are inadequate for the job, I can assure you that most every homeschooling parent has felt the exact same way. Like jumping off a cliff with no safety net. Will I do it right? What if I leave gaping holes in my child's education? I didn't graduate from high school/college/teaching certificate program; how can I be qualified to teach?

Yet, study after study has shown that there is virtually no difference in the quality of education provided by a parent who dropped out of school, and a parent who has a master's in education and has been teaching for years. They have test results that are pretty much equally well above average. You are capable. :) And there is so much support out there... Even on here, as you can see. :D

If it is a matter of having to work, though, I certainly understand. You can do only what you can do. I am surprised that your daughter has an IEP, but is not getting the help it requires. They are required to follow it, so be bold in making them stick to it, even if you have to bend the superintendent's ear. :muscles: :evilcloud:

We'll be here cheering you and your daughter! :cheer1: :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2: :hooray:

JessicaR":87lfocow said:
Venting and looking for advise!

Here is the situation. My 10 year old daughter has learning disabilities, I still don't exactly know what all her problems are because quite frankly the school system sucks! Here is what I do know; Based on in school testing. She scored low on long term memory, and very low on short term memory, she can read quite well but, she doesn't remember what she reads, so comprehension is low. It takes several times of her rereading things to understand enough to answer questions on tests. Now comes the not so clear results. She may be dyslexic, not enough for concern (according to the teacher) but enough that she still on occasion will write numbers, and letters backwards, once she wrote her full name all letters backwards, like if you was to write something on a window and then look at the word from the other side of the window, everything was backwards. She also will occasionally flip numbers, for example she will write 51 instead of 15. They also said she might be slightly autistic but again nothing they are worried about.

She does go to special classes to help with her reading, and they are supposed to be helping her during tests, but they are not! Other than that they are not helping her much, every time I talk to the teachers they assure me that she is getting the help she needs, and that she is doing well and making good progress. However her report card is saying something different. As expected she is having trouble in with reading, but she is passing. Math right now is the biggest problem. She has to do timed math facts 100 problems in 2 minutes (I think) She just cant do it! We have tried flash cards but she just cant remember them, and she gets very frustrated and upset. It breaks my heart to watch her struggle and cry because she cant get it. On top of that the teacher decided that for everyday she doesn't pass the timed tests she has to take home 2 pages of math facts, so 200 math problems, and do them at home. Also she makes her stay in for recess to do math facts. I don't know what to do to help her it makes me angry and frustrated because I don't know what to do!! I have even just said screw it before and let her use a calculator to finish her homework because it was getting so late. I understand teachers cant make special allowances for students but I don't think its fair to expect her to pass a test like that given her learning disabilities. She is always going to need more time, as it is when she tries to get the test done fast she ends up making mistakes with flipping the numbers, or she will read them wrong.

I think what also makes it worse is they shut down 2 elementary schools in our city so now the class rooms are pretty crowded and the teachers have too many students so she is falling through the cracks.

Wow! Fight for you child. I'm dyslexic. Mostly in math, but also verbal and in writing I misplace and repeat words.

My IQ was so high in elementary school, they were pressuring me all of the time to do better in the accelerated classes. Even at one point, planning on sending me to college for a half day by the 3rd grade. My parents said No.

And then finally, I hit algebra in Jr. High and they put me in the slow group. Which was a relief but I still had problems. I flip numbers and can barely do fractions although I am a lot better today.

I found that when I got into college that a lot of my dyslexia went away with Acetate Sheets that you hold over the pages.

They come in colors. Mine is yellow.

My husband is also dyslexic and his is blue.

There is also a green, violet and reddish looking one.

Those colors keep the pages from jumping around when we are reading. And some print is easier to read than others, but when you get me under florescent lights, everything jumps around!

I've known other dyslexics that have severe problems with fluorescent lights. They are not allowed in my home. And sometimes, I'm in places that have so many that I have to leave.

And I've also come to find out that I have Aspergers.

Noises really bother me at times to the point I want to shoot the ceiling fan or the radio, or the refrigerator. I had a refrigerator once that has a noisy fan and it about did me in.

Noise keeps me from concentrating. I am sensitive to the noises of electrical appliances. Those boxes on the phones at the end of the plugs hum!!! Had one years ago that hummed so loudly that it made me crazy tense and ex hubby couldn't hear it.

We even had to have a safety light removed because of the hum. My ex made fun of me for it and told me I was nuts. Thank God the guy at the power company was familiar with the problem. Ex hubby started running his mouth about me imagining things and blah, blah, blah. The power company guy took a glove and put it on a stick so the the sound would reflect back at them and he said, "This is what your wife is being tormented by and it's not a joke! This humming can be so severe it causes health problems. We even have health issues because of it and have to go to have checkups done on a regular basis."

I think that was the only time that man truly apologized to me before he died.

Your daughter's problems may not all be "a lack of memory" issues. She may have difficulties tuning out what is bombarding her. If you are surrounded by something that you are sensitive to, that's what it feels like....bombardment.

Also, and I don't know why, when I started taking fish oil and vitamin B, it helped my nerves/stress over noise and it helped me a lot with focus.

And when I started using Coconut Oil, a lot of my memory problems went away.

Which also, you might have your daughter tested for diabetes because that can cause memory issues.

Coconut oil passes the blood/brain barrier and provides something that insulin normally does, but sometimes insulin can't pass the blood brain barrier.

JessicaR I feel so sorry for your kid having to do all those math problems it sounds like torture. I did well in school and was really good at difficult math problems like algebra-- and long division and mathematical word problems but I was really bad at doing sheets of mindless math problems that where really just busy work- like the sheets they are making your kid do, I would get bored and after about the 20th math problem I would start day dreaming about something else or fall asleep. I found it impossible to do really boring simple addition problems for extended periods of time.... Anyway, what a horrible teacher all your daughter is going to learn from that is that learning is no fun. I think the teacher sounds lazy- like she is just giving the kids huge amounts of mindless sheets of math problems so it will fill up the hours of class and so that she doesn't have to actually give lectures or teach the kids anything- just a way to keep the kids quiet and busy.

It sounds like under diagnosis, over diagnosis, and incorrect treatment even for a correct diagnosis are all potential problems.

Well, you know your daughter better than anyone so trust your intuition.

Well, two of you have mentioned those colored acetate sheets now... I wonder if they would help my son with his math now, since he's suddenly having trouble with it. I'm going to have to get a set! :) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:53 pm __________ <br /><br /> I just bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Pack-8-1-Transpar ... ate+sheets

I can't wait for them to get here so I can try them with Bunny-Wan Kenobi! :bouncy:

JessicaR":16f0upr8 said:
Her main teacher really is not understanding of her problems and just plays it off as she is not putting the effort in. I have told her numerous times that when she becomes too frustrated she shuts down.

I am supposed to talk to her IEP teacher in 2 weeks hopefully we can get these issues solved

Sending good wishes your way. Jessica, forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know & being a pest, but your daughter's situation has stayed on.my mind. You may want to write down how long it is taking your daughter to do homework to counteract the teacher's accusation that she's not putting in the effort and bring it with you to the meeting. Let them know how stressed out she is, too. Expand the EP requirements so she can't hold her in at recess-the girl needs a mental & physical break during the day and the teacher is not helping by making her drill more. Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better very soon.

My son has Autism. I knew it the school thought he was just a bad kid messed up from the divorce. I contacted Far Northern Regional services which paid for his testing. He became a client of theirs and they paid for3 years of training for him. See if their is a group like that in your area. I dealt with the school till he ended up being taken out of his special education classroom at age 7 and taken to Juvenile hall. It was horrible. He was curled up in a ball in complete shutdown being yelled at by a officer to sit up and quit kicking. He was trying to get people away from him completely overstimulated. I homeschooled him for three years after that. If your child has a IEP it's time to play with the school. As a parent you can request a IEP meeting to talk about your concerns. At my son's meetings there were usually 6 professionals there. A very expensive meeting. If you feel they are not addressing the problems you don't have to sign the IEP agreement or state on the papers you don't agree. Those meeting cost money and time to them. You can call as many meeting as you feel necessary to help your child. If you would feel better bring a outspoken friend to the meeting with you. I had a friend bring me to her son's IEP because they would not listen and she did not know her rights. Ask them to give you a printout of the parent rights. Request to sit in back of classroom to see what is happening. See if there is a Advocacy group to help you. I wish you the best in getting help for your child. And if needed call more meetings.

-when I was divorced, my 8 year old son decided to live with me, -at that time I noticed that even though he was getting "good" grades in school, he was almost completely illiterate , and could not read even simple sentences, I started to try to help him learn to read, but it was so frustrating for him he would be in tears in a few minutes, so I backed off - to give him a couple of months to adjust to missing his mom and the divorce thing. -after he was with me about 2 months his mom was crying on the phone telling him she could not live with out seeing him, so he agreed to fly back to visit her, -- she pulled some legal dishonesty, and got a Utah judge to give her custody [I was not even noticed of the hearing] any-way-- she would not let him come back to live with me-- and I felt he would be hurt worse by a fight between his mom and I-- so I just told him I was sory she did that but, he needed to try to get along with her, --and-- I was not going to put everyone through a court battle, that would cause more hate and discontent. so-- when he was 14 he "ran away", and came to live with me. I noticed right away he was having trouble reading so asked him if he would let me help him-- he said yes, -- so I had him read something for me-- he could not read any better then he had at 8 , He was so dyslexic that when he tried to spell words from his book for me [to help sounding out the words]-it was all jumbled up, and letters backwards and in the wrong order [about the only words he could read were simple words like "and" and "the"]so I talked it over with him,[because he got so frustrated as soon as we started, he could not even function ,when I started to try to work with him, --it was going to be "pointless", as he felt like he was too stupid to succeed before we could get started.] -we decided to take away his phone privilage except on weekends, -- and he could use the computer as much as he wanted to "talk " to his friends, -- after about a year-- he could read and write, and type very fast-- now he can read and is doing well in his college classes. --what I can't understand --is, how can a child get a C+ average in school and not be able to read at all.?? <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:31 am __________ <br /><br />
We even had to have a safety light removed because of the hum. My ex made fun of me for it and told me I was nuts. Thank God the guy at the power company was familiar with the problem. Ex hubby started running his mouth about me imagining things and blah, blah, blah. The power company guy took a glove and put it on a stick so the the sound would reflect back at them and he said, "This is what your wife is being tormented by and it's not a joke! This humming can be so severe it causes health problems. We even have health issues because of it and have to go to have checkups done on a regular basis.
-------Is anyone else going nuts because of the "screach/ buzzing" the new power meters make??
-this is something I hear all the time in the background, when I am anywhere near the house/ meter, - and at night it wakes me up, and keeps me from resting.
- I finally put a #10 tin can over it with a ground wire attached to it, to "shut it up"-- I can still hear it, but it is a lot less now.
-------I asked the power company to put the old kind back on, but they refused. they said the "smart meter" was not an optional item, and they would not put the old one back on--
these things are terrible.

You guys don't know how much your words have seriously helped! :grouphug: I have a meeting with the teacher scheduled, unfortunately its not until February 13, that's the soonest everyone can get together. Meanwhile I think I will try and find some of those colored paper to see if that helps.

I found another school near us that sounds like it would be ideal for her. They have small class sizes and classes are individualized to each student, they work at their own pace. The only problem is they only take students in grades 6-12 so she has a couple more years yet. She is in 4th now, but they are talking about holding her back.

I am wondering if I should have her tested for autism, maybe that is the problem too. I don't know if being moody is a part of that, but man can she throw a fit :lol: Half the time I don't know what makes her upset, but she will start crying and screaming, and nothing can snap her out of it.

JessicaR":318wzbi8 said:
You guys don't know how much your words have seriously helped! :grouphug: I have a meeting with the teacher scheduled, unfortunately its not until February 13, that's the soonest everyone can get together. Meanwhile I think I will try and find some of those colored paper to see if that helps.
I'm so glad! :grouphug:

I can't wait for the colored sheets to get here! I printed out some double-digit multiplication problems today, and left some plain, and highlighted others in yellow, orange, and blue (the only highlighters I could find around the house). He didn't think there was much difference, but I noticed that he solved the blue one like a rocket! :shock: Now I'm really interested to see what happens!

I found another school near us that sounds like it would be ideal for her. They have small class sizes and classes are individualized to each student, they work at their own pace. The only problem is they only take students in grades 6-12 so she has a couple more years yet. She is in 4th now, but they are talking about holding her back.
Find out if that other school has a waiting list. You might want to go ahead and get on it! That sounds like a much better environment.

I am wondering if I should have her tested for autism, maybe that is the problem too. I don't know if being moody is a part of that, but man can she throw a fit :lol: Half the time I don't know what makes her upset, but she will start crying and screaming, and nothing can snap her out of it.
Absolutely, in autism they are typically called "meltdowns". I would have to put Galadriel in her room and close the door, and let her scream it out until she could calm down. It's usually from overstimulation... not being able to filter out things that are not significant... so everything is significant -- from me talking to her, to the sound of the washing machine, to the buzzing of the light bulb, to the sound of her clothes rubbing together, it was all loud to her. It was so much to take in, and she couldn't filter it, and it was scary and upsetting. You don't normally pay attention to the sound and feel of your clothes all the time, and you don't hear the clock ticking, or the quiet computer fan, or lots of other noises that are going on around you, because your brain recognizes "this sound is not important", and tunes it out. An autistic person hears and feels all this stuff at the same level as important things like someone talking to them.

Unfortunately, the ways of handling a normal child who starts crying over something (not talking about being hurt or sad, but not getting their way, etc.) don't work with autistic kids. They only make things worse. "That's not acceptable; stop this foolishness or *insert disciplinary action here*" usually will work with a normal child, as long as they know you will follow through with the inserted disciplinary action if they don't straighten up. With an autistic child, it only adds to the downward spiral of chaos. :( Not that you can't discipline an autistic child -- they can get to be just as spoiled and bratty as a normal child if you don't -- it just takes a lot more careful thought to determine what is actually effective. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:53 am __________ <br /><br /> I also talked to Bunny-Wan Kenobi about reading books today. I had asked him before about letters moving and stuff, but he couldn't tell me what happened when he was reading. He's older now, so I thought I'd try again.

"No, the letters don't move around or anything. Just these red lines start showing up under all the words, and then the red lines start blinking. It's not distracting, though."

:shock:

Flashing red lines under all the text, and you're not distracted? I'm very interested to see whether his reading speed and retention will improve if we can get rid of those red lines with some red acetate. :)

I hadn't heard of flashing lines. Swimming letters, yes. Flashing lines, no.

My son would get overwhelmed with his environment and meltdown. Too bright, too much noise, a persistent odd noise, smells, touch or who knows what would set him off. I trained his standard poodle to lay on top of him which is called deep pressure therapy. He loves heavy blankets and encompassing strong hugs when overwhelmed.

Demamma":2w1crw9f said:
I trained his standard poodle to lay on top of him which is called deep pressure therapy. He loves heavy blankets and encompassing strong hugs when overwhelmed.

You know the last time my daughter had a melt down the golden retriever puppy we are raising went over to her and laid her head on Autumn's lap. That did seem to help, Autumn started petting Lexi and she calmed down. I think we need to get her a dog that can be trained like your poodle! Unfortunately the shelties are too sensitive and shy away from her when she is upset. Maybe on the slim chance that Lexi fails and doesn't become a guide dog we should adopt her.

After years of hearing from the grandparents that Autumn acts this way because we spoiled her (which I know we didn't) it is such a weight off my shoulders to know that her behavior can be explained.

I would get on list to get a pup who does not make it as a guide. They usually have a good foundation to train to help. I worked black as my son's service dog for 2 years. We could not of gone many places without him back then as son was having such hard times. I will try and find picture of Black working.
1136816582400.jpg
1354446383009.jpg
1136814782355.jpg

that's a good idea, I can get on the adoption list through Pilot Dogs, plus I have first dibs at any pup we raise that doesn't graduate.

Those are some very sweet pictures! Poodles are great dogs!

Ask her doctor about the testing for sensory issues (sensory integration dysfunction). My son was tested at the Betty Jane Center when it was still there so I am not sure who would do it now. A lot of her issues could be in combination for an autism issue and sensory issue. I might still have a book lying around here that has activities you can do at home to help when they feel unhinged, helped the son a lot. If I can find it you are more than welcome to have it to try with your daughter. For some reason I thought your daughter was the same age/grade as my youngest daughter but she is in 6th now.

JessicaR":32x2146a said:
After years of hearing from the grandparents that Autumn acts this way because we spoiled her (which I know we didn't) it is such a weight off my shoulders to know that her behavior can be explained.
YES. This was huge for us. It wasn't that anyone was blaming us for her behavior, but that we were blaming ourselves. Having a reason for what was going on made all the difference, and we could focus on ways of helping her rather than making things worse, and feeling all the worse for it.

*gonna rant*

My own mother tells me my gifted son needs more discipline. I was even told I "wasn't doing him any favors" by protecting him.

The current problem is something along the lines of worrying that he will damage some object of her's when we visit because he is very rambunctious and outgoing and doesn't really listen to anyone, unless their request makes sense in his 6 year old mind.
I told her to just put the TOY she's worried about away, she thinks she shouldn't have to. He isn't TRYING to break anything. He has never broken anything (at her house, anyay) It's not my fault she bought fragile toys to decorate her home with. He's the only grandchild she worried about breaking the toy in question. (a wooden rocking horse)
It's just one excuse, it's not the first time she's told me she would like it better if he were more obedient. (SHE'S NEVER ALONE WITH HIM, so it's not like a babysitter here, we're talking about visiting grandma for thanksgiving dinner and such)

If she would just sit down and talk to him about what she's worried about, he would respect her wishes. But she doesn't expect to have to treat "kids" like "adults". It doesn't occur to her that explaining the situation to him could be more effective than saying "don't do that" or "settle down".

It seems to me like the problem is more that he is willfully defiant and very, very physical, and she would like it better if he were to be calm and submissive.

I would have to PHYSICALLY HARM him to force him to submit. He DOESN'T GIVE UP. He doesn't stand in corners or do "time out".

He trusts that I will treat him with respect.
I like this trait of his. I like him this way. I want to encourage it, not destroy it.

He's a good person. Always willing to help out if someone needs help. He shows a lot of empathy and concern for our animals and people. He's never intentionally harmed any living thing. He cares for plants. So what if he's boisterous and not particularly obedient?
I don't mind him at all. (yeah OK, sometimes it's quite it's difficult, but it seems to just be part of the territory here)
He does co-operate with his teachers for testing, because he understands it's important.
We just give him the space he needs to be boisterous in for now, and durable toys. :lol:

What is best for her isn't what is best for him IMO, and I'm his mother. So she can't touch him. If she says anything again, I'll just stop visiting until he outgrows whatever it is that's bothering her. She's free to visit my home instead.

*Done ranting*

Ah this all goes back to not being bothered by what others say, cause your the one who understands your child. I know first hand it's hard to hear when it comes from someone close to you though. But the kids come first. My mother will forgive me :D

Zass":1kgzvcbj said:
If she would just sit down and talk to him about what she's worried about, he would respect her wishes.

We always talked with our kids about how they should behave when we visited someone. For instance, when they were toddlers, drawers and cabinets were fascinating to them and we had to explain that it was rude to open other people's so they wouldn't do it.

I feel for you though... my dad was always worried about the kids dropping crumbs on the table cloth or floor and would watch their every move when they ate. About a year after moving into their new home, we joined my parents for Christmas. Firstpup was about two and a half, and we adults were all lingering over the meal but he was on the floor in the dining room. He laid down and put his stockinged feet on the wall, and my dad about blew a gasket. :x

When we went home after that trip, I wrote a thank you card to my parents. But I told them we would not be coming again for Christmas until dad was no longer so protective of the new house. I felt really bad for my mom because it punished her too, but it was just way too stressful and not enjoyable for us or our children to be scrutinized continually like that.

We should all remember God gave "us" these children to raise and care for, we are their parents, not others-- it is our responsibility, not theirs, -- it is often nice to hear others opinion, [and sometimes not] but the parents, need to follow their heart- and not be "bullied" by others.[including family]
I was told by many that my "troubled" children were never going to amount to anything, because I would not raise them the way they wanted me to- and I did what I felt was right, [like home school, and lots of chores]- , -- and it worked-- and those "doomed" Boys are very sucessful members of society today and good people. and-- I am a very proud dad, one graduated from Stanford, and one from Hastings School of Law. I am soooo glad I did not raise my children like they wanted me to.

michaels4gardens":35l74ae0 said:
We should all remember God gave "us" these children to raise and care for, we are their parents, not others-- it is our responsibility, not theirs, -- it is often nice to hear others opinion, [and sometimes not] but the parents, need to follow their heart- and not be "bullied" by others.[including family]

:yeahthat: This, this, a thousand times THIS!!!

And that includes doctors too. I got a lot of pressure to vaccinate my kids but I refused.

Trust your own instincts as a parent, and don't let anyone, especially the "professionals" make you go against your gut feelings.

Back