Scary Moment Yesteday!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
When I got home from work, I went to check on everybunny. I opened the door and right away noticed that CupCake's cage door is open....not good. I walk to the cage and it is EMPTY! Now I am thinking, "Oh no! She is long gone now...." I start looking around under the cages...not there. I duck into the pump shed that is in the other half of the building and start looking around in the dark. (the light fixture we installed is the pull chain kind and it only came with a 2in chain...need to fix that....I hear a noise and sure enough, there she is! I was so glad and I said, "CupCake! What are you doing over there?" She hopped right over to me and I picked her up and she snuggled up under my neck like she was SO glad to see me. Poor thing, I am not sure if it was my daughter the night before or me that morning that left it open. I check her out and she did not seem to be injured (it is quite a drop from the cage door to the cement floor!) so I put her back with some water and food. I am just so glad she did not get out and hop away for the hawks to get!

we had the same thing happen last week..Our lovely buck.. My daughter left his cage door unlocked, he jumped out. Well it was too late by the time we noticed. Our Husky had him, had a nice rabbit snack..Was I ever mad. Almost burried the dog with the rabbit.

must be something going around- I didn't latch Rascals cage properly, I guess (new snaps, hard to handle them) I was going back and forth with feed and water, and Rascal disappeared-- found him in the neighbor's patio area, munching dandelions---hmmm, I gave them all dandelion leaves yesterday morning--nice to have a supply close enough that he did not wander far...

We also, had a experience that a cage was left unlatched but our mini Rex buck just had a great time exploring. The next morning my husband come home just to pick up something and he left his friend in the truck and he said a bunny is loose so he called me and sure enough he was having a good old time.

But we also a few weeks ago had to stray dogs just mob this cage and they got our little polish buck. We were able to replace him fast cause we were going to a show that weekend. But it was still sad. Our own dog would never harm the bunnies. she see's us love on them and takes very good care of them.

We had a buck get out once, but he managed to get back in. Unfortunately, the pen he got into was the angora colony. :roll: I walked into the room to feed and noticed I had 4 rabbits eating at the feeding instead of the 3 I should have seen. I had no idea how long he'd been in there since I'd been gone for a few days and Mike was feeding everyone. The buck is virtually identical to Fat Little Bunny, so I could see how he was missed in the mix.

He must have only been there a couple of days, because 29 days later I had 15 kits. (all three girls do a 31 day gestation)

Last year I had a lot of "fun" chasing rabbits....

Between the folks who wanted to rescue my poor breeders, the homeless guys that wanted to pet them, and me forgetting a couple times to latch the cages, I had rabbits loose in the city almost every day. Glad you found her. I never had any loses, thank goodness.

Shara":ezb3413t said:
Last year I had a lot of "fun" chasing rabbits....

Between the folks who wanted to rescue my poor breeders, the homeless guys that wanted to pet them, and me forgetting a couple times to latch the cages, I had rabbits loose in the city almost every day. Glad you found her. I never had any loses, thank goodness.

Me too! My kids (and me) would have been heart broken. :cry:

Harvey got out once and to this day I still don't know how he got out..My rabbitry is in the garage so it makes me nervous if any of my rabbits get out..he was just hoping around and probly said hi to doe a couple times..that god that cage is high off the ground...

wow you should hear my story :p i had a 3 stack with two does each in the middle and top tiers. the bottom tier was empty. so i took one doe out of the middle tier, leaving one in. took her inside, played a little. when i came back out i saw that the bottom tier was open. since i had two does to a cage, i started freaking out! oh no, the cagemate got out! i swear i was down on that floor looking around for a full 15 minutes before i realized, oh, wait, i didn't have any rabbits in the bottom tier! this one goes in the middle with the other doe! lol :p

LOL! That's the equivalent of looking all over for your glasses while they're perched on top of your head.

Or looking all over the house for the TV remote, when for whatever reason, I had stuck it in my back pocket when going to do something. One of them well duh... moments

So far I've just left the a doe's cage openover night,but no escapees yet haha she won't come out from the back :/ just when she is getting food and water. Hopefully one day she will be less reclusive with some TLC.

However, I did have Bear ,my boyfriends Dutch, running around the living room and when it came time to put him up he was nowhere to be found! Little butt had jumped into a box under the kitchen table lol

None of my rabbits seem to be interested in getting out. No spirit of adventure I guess. Mor than once Ive left cage doors open while I do my chores and the only ones interested in geting out are the adolescents who are curious about everything. Even they usually just stick their heads out and look around.

I bred 4 does today, and Dirk, one of the bucks who was in on the action almost climbed out of his cage before I could put the next doe in with him.

Later, when I was installing a gravity waterer in my buck growout pen and trying to figure out the right length of chain to cut to support the water bottle, I had an escapee... I turned around and saw a young buckling on the ground! Luckily he was only a few feet away and is very friendly so I just picked him up and put him back.

I had the same sort of thing! I had gotten a couple "new to me" cages from a friend, and didn't look them over close enough. The feeder hole was longer than the feeder I put in ... and so I had two escapee bunnies. Fortunately the barn cats didn't eat them, and I caught them easily. It's amazing how they can squeeze through such a small space!

boundarybunnyco":q9x5jmtu said:
I had the same sort of thing! I had gotten a couple "new to me" cages from a friend, and didn't look them over close enough. The feeder hole was longer than the feeder I put in ... and so I had two escapee bunnies. Fortunately the barn cats didn't eat them, and I caught them easily. It's amazing how they can squeeze through such a small space!
Tell me about it. I had a couple of two week old kits go up the chute of a J feeder and come out the top of the hopper. It's impossible but they did it. I guess the second one was playing follow the leader. Now I make sure the lid is closed, even in dry weather, and regularly check the hopper to see if anybun is stuck. It only happened once but it isn't supposed to happen at all.

i had a huge satin rabbit escape out of its feed hole too. the thing was 8 weeks old, and like, 5 lbs, and it got thru this tiny little feeder hole and ended up landing the name "Houdini"

Oh, I have had plenty of escapees ... last one was the growout cage with the bucks in it ... I happened to come home late after dark and went out to feed and water and luckily one of the himi bucks was out as the other two were the broken orange and the black one. They don't run off, but they do have fun playing catch-me-if-you-can LOL They will run right up to us, wait for us to bend down, then dart off a few feet and stop, looking back at us :lol:

I can leave my cage doors open as the adults don't do any more than lean out, but I don't know about the replacement buck and doe that I have hand raised. I guess I'll find out as they are going into cages this next week LOL

Back