Scale?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamdrglass

Reaction score
What type of scale set ups do you use? I am wanting to start weighing my litters so I can keep records for pedigrees ect. ect.
Thanks
Dan

I just use a digital postal scale that I had in my office, and a cardboard box. It has lbs, oz, and can tare weight so it works for me! Seems pretty accurate anyway. :)

I am cheap and a little lazy. I have a kitchen scale for kits that weighs up to 2 lbs, and a hanging fish scale for the adults with a canvas bag under it. some day when I have some extra cash laying around I want an old produce scale with the big dial, just for fun!

We got an old pediatric scale from a thrift store. It is very sensitive, and does pounds and ounces. Tare can be done by adjusting the zero balance. And it fits adult bunnies!

I use a food scale I originally bought for weighing my puppies. It goes up to 11 lbs. And is also very sensitive, and can be zero'd out.

Dirk Chesterfield":bh38uinx said:
I have an Ascali Primo scale. It's good down to 1 gram. Max weight is 11lb. Runs on 2 AA batteries. Had mine for about 5 years and I use it for everything. Good all around scale.

http://www.amazon.com/Escali-Primo-Digi ... B0007GAWSC

I have this one in silver :) I've only used it twice for bunnies though. I generally use it for measuring out ingredients to make soap!

I have just a kitchen meat scale that I use. My rabbits stay so small that we didn't need to buy a bigger or more industrial one. It is digital and makes it super easy. We put a paper towel in the tray, zero it out and then stick them in. When I am done I just stick the plastic tray in the dishwasher and voila! all clean! lol

fish scale for anything over 2 lbs. An old kitchen scale for anything under that. It's accurate the the ounce, the fish scale is accurate to the 1/4 lb.

We have a couple of scales. A very accurate scientific scale for anything under 7lbs. (does grams, oz, troy oz, etc...accurate to 1/10 of a gram. ) I use that for the little kits. When they get to about 4lbs I put them in a basket and hook it to the hanging scale (keeps the little bugers inside and quiet long enough to actually GET a weight). that scale is accurate to .5oz and weighs up to 20lb objects.

Ok, this thread got me motivated to replace my digital scale with a new one! :pinkbunny: The tare function on my old scale would always migrate a good bit, and I'd always have to reset between bunnies........which tends to frustrate an impatient husband! :lol:

The one I ordered goes up to 13 lbs, which should work on most adults too.

I got a hanging scale for fish or luggage or anything of that sort and use a reusable cloth shopping bag with it. It cradles the rabbits and they stay pretty still. I am liking my set-up a lot.

I use an Ultra-ship 55. It has the tare function and multiple settings for lbs, oz, kg and grams and it goes up to 55 lbs weight. Since I tend to use whatever container is handy to put a bunny in for weighing I like the detachable face. If you end up using a box that would hang over the front you pull the face loose from the scale so you can still read it. It has a good, long cord and has taken a lot of abuse from jumpy bunnies over the last few years. It was around $40 and I love it. It even came with 3 different tops so you can weigh things you wouldn't want to put on a flat surface (things that roll, etc.).

Latest posts

Back