Satin Color genetics Black/Broken/Cal

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legalyaker

Reaction score
So my wife and I are considering Satins in the future for a second breed. While discussing this it is apparent she favors broken satins particularly broken blacks. I favor cals. I was thinking to have at times have a buck that could work for both of us which if I am right would be a solid black buck to improve type and point color in the cals and handle good typed charlies. We likely wouldn't plan on keeping any blacks for show purposes. Does this sound I'm on the right page with this line of thinking?

I like reds also but it looks like it would be impossible to incorporate a red into the barn unless I completely kept lines separate.

Reds are best kept in a totally different line. Anything else can create smut if you want to show. Black is a self color and red is an agouti color, best to stick self to self or agouti to agouti. That being said, I have mixed and matched, but you get a lot of unshowable rabbits that way. Not too familiar with cals, but there is a page on Facebook for satin rabbit breeders, just do a search and then join. They're pretty good about answering questions.

I will check out the FB page. I read last night and sort of remember from 20 years ago when I showed that cals and other pointed rabbits are really black rabbits with a heat modifier gene which is why they can change colors a bit a different temperatures.

I'm not sure how this would affect things like toenail color however, you could get something like a broken black and a broken that both carry himi. Then about 1/2 of the kits would be himi. Approx 50% of these would also carry broken.

Your litters would look like this

EE aa CC enen 12.5% Solid black
EE aa Cch ENen 25 % Broken black carries himi
EE aa Cch enen 25% Solid black carries himi
EE aa chch ENen 12.5% Broken himi
EE aa chch enen 12.5% himi

In many of the larger breeds, including Satins, Cals are only accepted in black, only black points. Because of that, I never breed my Cals to anything but themselves, and Siamese (aka Sable).

It's possible that the black would carry something like dilute or chocolate that will make the Cal unshowable. So if you chose black, chose carefully and know that's a risk even if it's off the ped.

Breeding good Cals together and with Siamese is plenty enough to keep good color without introducing blacks.

Forgot all about Siamese. Always liked them when I was younger. Maybe I can talk her into that variety instead of Black.

Back