Rex with lopped ears, how often does this happen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GBov":16uwnshv said:
And its NOT hot yet, only in the mid 80s so far so heat cant have done it.

:eek: :evil:

It has made it into the 60s here a few times... in the last week...

Seriously though, how do you keep your bunnies cool enough? I thought they got heat stroke much over 80 degrees?

As for marketable... just depends on what people like in your area. They sound super cute though. Seems really strange that you would be getting lops from two upright eared parents. I've heard folks complain that it's difficult to get lops from lops sometimes :p

I hope you get the picture thing figured out, I'd love to see them. How are their coats?

As for your computer problem, I've never heard of one overheating due to a bad connection, but I guess it can happen. If you can find a local repair shop to just solder in a new power jack it might solve your problem. I know I have a guy here who does it really cheaply if you are able to just bring him the parts to solder.

Syberchick70":3dcvofnq said:
GBov":3dcvofnq said:
And its NOT hot yet, only in the mid 80s so far so heat cant have done it.

:eek: :evil:

It has made it into the 60s here a few times... in the last week...

Seriously though, how do you keep your bunnies cool enough? I thought they got heat stroke much over 80 degrees?

As for marketable... just depends on what people like in your area. They sound super cute though. Seems really strange that you would be getting lops from two upright eared parents. I've heard folks complain that it's difficult to get lops from lops sometimes :p

I hope you get the picture thing figured out, I'd love to see them. How are their coats?

As for your computer problem, I've never heard of one overheating due to a bad connection, but I guess it can happen. If you can find a local repair shop to just solder in a new power jack it might solve your problem. I know I have a guy here who does it really cheaply if you are able to just bring him the parts to solder.

I keep my rabbits in all wire cages in the deepest shade I can find or manufacture. Tarps, shade cloth, vines, trees and anything else I can plant or place to block the sun. Growing shade is much cooler than shade from tarps but, where the vines give out the tarps begin.

So far so good, even with temps over 100 we have only lost an occasional kit to heat stroke in the nest boxes. One doe in particular puts more fur in every time I take any out.

We breed right through the summer as well, or try to at least. Keeping track of which lines can beat the heat and give us babies lets me breed for the south. I don't think rabbits from Canada would do very well here, even in the best shade! :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> THREE have lopped over!!! :D

I am LOVING this!

What is a lopped rex called, for marketing that is?

Well there's the Velveteens but they have the body type of an English Lop and then there's the Plush Lops which are rexed Hollands

Do their size and body types resemble English or Hollands Lops?

If not I think you might need to start your own line and name for them - ? Cashmere Lop ?:D

Rats - "cashmere" is taken for angora/fuzzy lops

Hummmm

Fleece Lop?

Dood":ix1gz4js said:
Well there's the Velveteens but they have the body type of an English Lop and then there's the Plush Lops which are rexed Hollands

Do their size and body types resemble English or Hollands Lops?

If not I think you might need to start your own line and name for them - ? Cashmere Lop ?:D

Rats - "cashmere" is taken for angora/fuzzy lops

Hummmm

Fleece Lop?

Perhaps a naming contest? :lol:

They have the shape of a Rex *says she with a shrug* but the buck and doe are the heaviest in my herd, the most solid shoulders as well.

As I never managed to get the breeder to send me the pedigrees I have started wondering if the buck and doe are brother and sister with a lop or two in their near past. She said they were from two different lines with the buck out of a doe from California but, perhaps, not. :roll:

Still, if it has gotten me super cute lop eared rex, whey hey! <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:27 pm __________ <br /><br />
cmfarm":ix1gz4js said:
I'm still dieing to see some pictures.

And I am dieing to have a computer fixed and be able to post them! Aaaaargh! Its like having candy and not being able to share it! :(

alforddm":jsmw8f7u said:
Gosh I'm starting to wonder how much it would be to ship a couple of rabbits from Florida to Oklahoma... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't bother shipping, just come on down, the weather is great this time of year! :D

I will breed the doe again to the same buck, put the three lops into a grow out cage together and let them get old enough to breed and we shall see what we have.

Perhaps we are on to a winner. :D

I have seen flop ears on Giant Chins with weak ear bases. Usually happens with the youngsters in the spring and summer-- I think the 80s is plenty warm enough to do it. Once they flopped, most did not recover.

I'm jealous, I'm starting to work on a project crossing my French Lops with my Rex' trying to get a 13+ pound Rex with lop ears. I'd love to see pictures of your kits. I think that if you could get them to breed true you are definitely onto something. Congrats on the super cool litter.

Yes pure bred Rex ears do lop. It doesn't mean that they are crossed.

Rex is a genetic mutation of a meat breed. There are all kinds of odd recessives.

It is genetic. People say summer ears, and to a point that might be true, but since 75% of my litters are born beginning May through October, I would see it more in all my breeds, which I don't.

Right now, I see it only in the Chin Rex line. Had some Chocolates too I culled some time ago for this reason. The cartilage is weak, the ear carriage too low on the base. Big ears, tipped and too wide. It's the worst on my bigger Chins. I culled an entire line because of that, I don't want it loose in my herd. I have one that just came back to me, and I haven't decided what to do with her. Her ears are not as bad, but her mother's were almost covering her eyes :(

Latest posts

Back