Rex with lopped ears, how often does this happen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Being still so new to raising Rex they still surprise me all the time and this kit is the newest surprise.

Totally lop eared!

How often do pure bred rex have lopped ears? All the others are normal, as are the 9 litters we have had so far.

Sure is cute though!

I haven't ever seen it in any of my litters.

When it is really hot in the summer, sometimes the top inch or so will lop over, but it is only temporary.

Pictures please? :camera3:

Are they like completely lopped over like a Holland Lop? It's possible that there might be some sort of large lop-eared breed in their bloodlines.

"Purebred" rex should never have lop ears. It means there is a lop breed in there somewhere. It could though be a temporary thing instead of genetic. Sometimes larger breeds have an ear lop for awhile as they grow in to them. It's more common in hot weather but it can happen any time. Usually they aren't as fully lopped as a true lop but closer to airplane ears.

I am sooooooo sorry :oops: but no pictures are poss. due to a computer cable over heating problem. I am now working on a library computer.

*sigh*

But when the money gets better so will the computer!

Until then I shall describe the little thing. White with brown ears, eyes, brown down the back and lots of little brown spots and with TOTALLY lopped ears, right down floppy by the face. Just like a lop but with the rex coat.

Very cute!

But with them soooo lopped I was wondering about a true lop breed in the wood pile. Perhaps that might be why the breeder would never give me the pedigrees promised?

I wonder what the market is for lop eared rex? :lol:

AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds so CUTE!!!!! :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

If it was permanently lopped ears, I would probably keep her to do some breeding experiments. Breed back to the mom if it's a buck or breed back to the dad if it's a doe. I would probably keep a couple back from that litter to do some test breeding ;)

Lopsided":3omysq85 said:
If it was permanently lopped ears, I would probably keep her to do some breeding experiments. Breed back to the mom if it's a buck or breed back to the dad if it's a doe. I would probably keep a couple back from that litter to do some test breeding ;)

Enabler! :twisted: <br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:26 pm __________ <br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":3omysq85 said:
I know that a vitamin A deficiency can cause "lopped" ears. Scroll nearly down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/72228408/Rabbit-Diseases

Blasted link wont work for me, would a vit A deficiency effect all of a litter or just one?

There are several rex coated lop eared breeds in process. They seem to usually sell pretty well.

akane":1tam0ekx said:
There are several rex coated lop eared breeds in process. They seem to usually sell pretty well.

:lol: My mum just said they would sell pretty well! :lol:

I understand that there are plush lops, and velveteen lops. Not sure which would be like a rex coat, but I believe they are related.

__________ Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 pm __________

GBov":xefo0i41 said:
I wonder what the market is for lop eared rex? :lol:

I'll take it.... :D :D

Please, please, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE take a few good pix, in case it's temporary, so when you get your cable issue fixed (or you find a few minutes to steal on someone else's computer) you can show us this Rex lop! I don't want to grovel, but I will if necessary! :p

I know that rex genetics carry some weird mutations, and it must be true that, somewhere in the past, the lop was simply a genetic mutation that someone decided to breed for. Not sure how that all ties in, but it's possible, I suppose, that it's a mutation instead of an indication of lop heritage. Lop blood would be more likely though.

Btw - you said your computer 'cable' is overheating? That doesn't make sense. Are you talking about a charger for a laptop, our something else? I make my living repairy computers. ;)

... and I really need to watch when I post by phone. Ugh! The typos are killing me. :p

If you have a phone with internet and a camera you take a pic and do it that way. I usually email pictures to myself and then download them to my computer because it is easier for me that way.

Wonder if it is some thing like the FG with weak ear bases coming up? This happens with them some times, the whole ear will fall over on both sides to completely lop. I've also seen it in FA and EA where the ear bases are weak.

That is a GREAT idea of taking pictures, even though I cant put them up right now!

The computer issue is that where the power cable goes into the back of the lap top has broken loose somehow inside the computer causing it to over heat. I have it soldered last year and it worked so good that I forgot the issue and let my kids carry it back and forth from their room and my office so it has broken loose again.

I feel really stupid about it and, until this poxy divorce is finished, there is no money to fix it. Ah well, at least the library has nice computers. :D

My camera is great but all it is is a camera, no phone involved. I am looking into trying memory sticks and such like at the library but my computer skills are very small. :lol:

This is Valley Girl's first litter and, after a good look yesterday, I could see that three other kits are lopping over but only with one ear so far. They all look fantastic, healthy, fat and furry so I don't think a vit deficiency is to blame. And its NOT hot yet, only in the mid 80s so far so heat cant have done it.

My guess is a lop or two in the wood pile but, if it has gotten me something marketable, woooo HOOO!

Back