Returning Buck to Colony Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotapony

Reaction score
I keep hoping for a few minutes to get an update written and post some pictures, but between keeping the farm going (we're still busy trying to get corn into the silos) and my daughter demanding attention in the house, I just can't seem to find the computer time to get it done. At any rate, the short, short version is that all 11 kits are still alive and growing well. They're out of the nest, but pretty much still stay in one big pile. They were 2 weeks old yesterday.

My new question is this: Would the buck pose the kits any harm if I go ahead and return him to the colony? The does are both in excellent shape so I think they're fine to go ahead and breed again. I know I've read you can leave the buck in the colony and he's fine with kits if he's been there the whole time. I just don't recall reading anything about a time frame to return him if he was completely removed.

I would be very surprised if the buck did the kits any harm. Most bucks are pretty mellow and they really seem to enjoy the youngsters. Put him in when you have a few extra minutes to watch his behaviour.

I have seen no evidence of bucks causing kits harm, and support adding him in, often the buck proves to be the kits best friend ;)

I've never seen a buck do intentional harm but I have lost a few kits to bucks running around clumsily chasing the doe. The kits can't get out of the way fast enough and get trampled. If your buck is the laid back, loverboy type they should be fine but if he's a no-nonsense git-r-done type I'd let the kits get a little older, take them out till the initial running around breeding is over or bring the does to him.

I went ahead and put him back in the day Maggie first replied. I expected at least some excitement, but no. First he hopped back to look out the door, then he got a whiff of a doe and thought about going after her, but she went and hopped past the pellet feeder. And that was just way more important. So yeah, I'd definitely say he's the laid back type. In any case, I've had no problems and am hoping for another couple litters in 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back