"reinventing" the standard rex... ok maybe i am doin this...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":5fo28kpe said:
I might be mixing it up with a different breeder.. the one I am talking about is call double-decker rabbitry.. And her name is Jessica... Her rabbits go for 150 and up

Yep, Double Decker is pricey. She's been showing for years in 4H then as an adult. But Tony also has years of experience, and comparable rabbits. All my stuff either goes back to Double R or Double Decker, and the more I bred towards Double R, the bigger and faster my kits grow, and the shoulder shortens.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 am __________<br /><br />
Pepperoni":5fo28kpe said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":5fo28kpe said:
I always thought rabbits from double R was way more than 35 to 60 each.

No, that sounds about right to me. At least it's in line with what he was asking for things at MSRBA spring show.

Goatgirl, I'm not sure about how long you're willing to wait, but I'm taking a trip to TN the first week of November and will be driving straight through Ohio from MI. I'll likely have some available then and could also transport from other breeders in the SE MI/NW OH areas. Not sure how much I'd ask for that, depends on how many animals and how far we'd have to travel off our path. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in :)

Sounds like a plan :)

Pepperoni":t3l3qoma said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":t3l3qoma said:
I always thought rabbits from double R was way more than 35 to 60 each.

No, that sounds about right to me. At least it's in line with what he was asking for things at MSRBA spring show.

Goatgirl, I'm not sure about how long you're willing to wait, but I'm taking a trip to TN the first week of November and will be driving straight through Ohio from MI. I'll likely have some available then and could also transport from other breeders in the SE MI/NW OH areas. Not sure how much I'd ask for that, depends on how many animals and how far we'd have to travel off our path. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in :)

i'll keep that in mind thanks :)

right now everything is crazy and I don't have the space for any more rabbits. unfortunately.
I have cages, but barn isn't coon proof. and only so much hutch space, which is full.

but if things magically come together then I will surely be getting in touch with you.

skysthelimit":3d701oms said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3d701oms said:
I might be mixing it up with a different breeder.. the one I am talking about is call double-decker rabbitry.. And her name is Jessica... Her rabbits go for 150 and up

Yep, Double Decker is pricey. She's been showing for years in 4H then as an adult. But Tony also has years of experience, and comparable rabbits. All my stuff either goes back to Double R or Double Decker, and the more I bred towards Double R, the bigger and faster my kits grow, and the shoulder shortens.

__________ Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 am __________

so are you saying that double R is better for the meat market than than double decker?Because there is a big difference in price

OGG, hold off until the next OH Mini Convention show. It's held the first weekend of May every year at the state fairgrounds in Columbus, and it is an AWESOME show. Yeah, it means waiting 8-9 months, but there are plenty of big rex breeders who show at that event. It will save you a lot of the size issues that you will spend years trying to work past.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1ebm6fu5 said:
so are you saying that double R is better for the meat market than than double decker?Because there is a big difference in price

Yes, just by a tad bit. Either way you get quality.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:35 am __________<br /><br />
SatinsRule":1ebm6fu5 said:
OGG, hold off until the next OH Mini Convention show. It's held the first weekend of May every year at the state fairgrounds in Columbus, and it is an AWESOME show. Yeah, it means waiting 8-9 months, but there are plenty of big rex breeders who show at that event. It will save you a lot of the size issues that you will spend years trying to work past.

Listen to this guy, he knows his stuff. Two years to get past the size issues, just barely, so it's better not to try to go up from MR, and it's better not to try to collect Rex from random breeders.

...well... it turns out my replacement buck just happens to be 1/2 MR 1/4NZ 1/4FG :whistle:
so if I keep back any of his daughters I may end up with some rex fur... looks like I just may have ended up doing this... :roll:
he is 9wks right now though so still plenty of time til I find out though.

Are you willing or able to make it to some of the shows coming up in northern OH? As the fall comes there will be many shows and probably lots of opportunity to find nice buns. I'm waiting on my work schedule to come out but I'm sure i will be to a few Ohio shows this fall. Plus my offer to transport still stands.

Pepperoni":3iov1avt said:
Are you willing or able to make it to some of the shows coming up in northern OH? As the fall comes there will be many shows and probably lots of opportunity to find nice buns. I'm waiting on my work schedule to come out but I'm sure i will be to a few Ohio shows this fall. Plus my offer to transport still stands.

You will find very few Rex at these shows. I am usually the only one.
The only shows where I have been to where I was not the only one--Medina, Lisbon and Ohio Mini Convention. You might get some at Lancaster.

well it seems some higher power wants me to try this! you guys just will not believe what has happened now...

so I just got a new cali doe on 7/31... I was also pickin up the new buck that day (the NZ/FG/MR) and I had her bred to that breeders stud opal NZ/FG...
well the guy I got the doe from had two does and was goin to let me choose which one I wanted but then found out the girl that helped him with the rabbits (he is in a wheelchair and cannot always get out to them) had bred one of them. so he had to give me the other one. fine with me.
well on I go thinkin nothing more of it....

until this morning when I find a litter in her nestbox of the hutch!! and guess what... the buck she was bred to was a MR!! broken blue.
the litter is 1DOA broken black, 1looks black, 1 looks choco or blue, 1teeny broken black, 1teeny white, 4 nice fat white.

the teeny babies are real teeny so i'm not really expecting them to live but i'm goin to wait and see how they do at least. sad that the teeny broken lived and the good size broken was the DOA... darn.. feel bad if the teeny one ends up not makin it.
so I guess will have to see how they grow! :roll:

am grumpy that I wont see how her babies with the opal would've turned out though. I guess there is the tiny chance that she could have them tucked away in her other uterus horn but i'm not holdin my breath on it. though I will be palpating her later just in case. next time I want to know!

though the surprise litter isn't too bad :roll:

Congrats on the suprise litter! :) They sound pretty! Hope they all do well for you!

choc point cali/ brk blue MR litter
full litter

black kit and I think blue kit

four white kits

teeny white and teeny brk black kit

teeny kits next to regular size white kit

My experience is that standard rex have nicer fur than minis to begin with. I think would be hard to recreate with a mini, but if it's fun and you have the space...why not try?

Latest posts

Back