"reinventing" the standard rex... ok maybe i am doin this...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
ok so I have not found a single standard rex for sale in my area at all. of the THREE I've found since I started rabbits over a year ago, one was in Illinois but in my local CL :roll: , one was on CL but like WAAAYYYYY up on pretty much the MI and Illinois borders (would be like 5hrs drive one way), and the other was on here...

well yesterday someone one of the groups (in Michigan :evil: cursed) posted they had some rabbits for sale blah blah one is senior standard rex doe... *big sigh* but it got me thinking about the rex...

why not try "reinventing" them? for me I'd have to start with my does I have now (nz red, three qtrNZ/ one qtrFG gts doe, choco cali doe) and try to get the biggest minirex buck I can find. then go from there...
so just for fun I am tossing around ideas on this. totally for fun because I like doing this stuff for some reason hahaha. so no limit on cage space or anything like that.

F1 would be...
breed MR buck to all three
keep biggest doe from each litter and biggest buck of all litters
~all carry rex fur

F2..
breed F1 buck and all F1 does
so keep biggest doe from each litter (hopefully rex furred)
~this will give me 25% odds of rex fur, 50% will carry, 25% wont carry

F3...
breed F1 buck to all F2 does...
keep biggest doe with rex fur from each litter, keep biggest buck with rex fur
~this will give me 50% odds of rex fur and 50% will carry

F4...
breed F3 buck to all F1 does
breed F3 buck to all F2 does
breed F3 buck to all F3 does
~this will give me 100% odds of rex fur
pick the 2 biggest does from each litter and the 2 biggest bucks of all litters

**keep ones chosen to be F4 breeders (18 does, 2 bucks). these will be actual herd building stock.
**things to aim for:
1) litters of 7+
2) good moms
3) 4.5/5# at 8wks
4) good furs
5) keep only THHHHEEEEE absolute best growing, meatiest for breeders. use as replacements for culls of main breeding stock who arent meeting the goals.

:bunnyhop: so..... did I forget anything? :popcorn:

omg.. You read my mind.. I cant find any around here either .. but there is lots of mini rexes.

__________ Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:48 am __________

I don't have the breeds that you have... so I can buy a mini rex rabbit and breed that to what?.. I have broken red new Zealand that I can breed to.. But they are males. So I guess I have to get few females and go from there. Would that work out ok..

Wow, sounds like a great idea! Lots of space, work, ect. but lots of fun. Good luck! What color are you thinking about?

So the 4+ generations that you are contemplating would take a minimum of a year and a half. The feed cost for a dozen rabbits for that time [at $15/50#] should be about $780. Why not take advantage of my "quantity discount" and get 5 standard Rex for $150.00 and find a transporter to bring them to you from CA for $35/each, $175. Then you would have 5 nice PEDIGREED Rex rabbits NOW at the cost of $325 and you could start breeding the real deal with that sweet Rex temperament, not the temperament you'd get by crossing the NZ to the mini-rex :)

Wow, that's a good deal you're offering, caroline! But it is extremely hard (in my experience) to find someone willing to transport more than a few hours.

Are you on FB? There may be people driving right past you that could deliver them. ;) When I bought my Champagnes, I bought them from a breeder in another state, way too far away...someone else was driving past Western Michigan to get to a show up north...so she just put them in their car, they made a pit stop and I paid I think $20 for transportation. :)

I'd see who is going to what shows...and get pedigreed foundation stock. :)

Convention is coming up.... it might be easier than you think! I know a transporter whos taking her own, ours,and a few other breeder's rabbits to convention (and showing some for me. yay!) from Georgia. I could probably talk to her since she's in sync with the good transporters. If it doesn't pass her health inspection, it's not getting a ride!

I've brought stock to Georgia from Oregon, Kansas, Illinois....it can be done!

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3ape5qfz said:
omg.. You read my mind.. I cant find any around here either .. but there is lots of mini rexes.

__________ Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:48 am __________

I don't have the breeds that you have... so I can buy a mini rex rabbit and breed that to what?.. I have broken red new Zealand that I can breed to.. But they are males. So I guess I have to get few females and go from there. Would that work out ok..

ya tons of MR here.

yup, definitely would want MR buck and meat doe.

like example one doe...
F1, MR x NZ = keep biggest doe and biggest buck
F2, MR/NZ x MR/NZ = keep biggest doe
F3, MR/NZ x the F2 MR/NZ = keep biggest doe and buck that have rex fur
F4, keep F2 doe, F3 doe, F3 buck.. breed F3 buck to F3 and F2 does, work from there.

at least this is how I see myself doing it if I were to do it.
and with my VERY small amount of space, I don't see it happening :roll:

__________ Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am __________

WildWolf":3ape5qfz said:
Wow, sounds like a great idea! Lots of space, work, ect. but lots of fun. Good luck! What color are you thinking about?

SSSHHHHH! i'm NOT thinkin of any! :lol: ;)

but ya if I did actually have the space and was doing this I wouldn't worry about color until I was getting good meaty, rex furred litters.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:24 am __________<br /><br />ya I know about transporting but I've not had much luck with it when I did it... x.x transported 3 guinea pigs from Georgia to Ohio... it cost much more then I would have liked for transporting, plus the last person to transport them the one died and she didn't tell me until the day before I picked them up. though on the upside she did keep them longer then planned because the world was plotting against me and snowstorms, etc.

if I really want them and can save up the money I would be transporting some though.
would still be fun to see what the outcome would be from my idea though. just to see.

WildWolf":28v75mt7 said:
Wow, that's a good deal you're offering, caroline! But it is extremely hard (in my experience) to find someone willing to transport more than a few hours.

Well there is a rabbit judge here who is doing transport to the convention for $35/rabbit. He is providing the carriers. He only requires that the rabbits be entered in the show when they get there. He has converted 3 hole carriers to hold only 2 rabbits so they have more room for the x-country trip.

Alternatively, there are people advertising for transport on several Yahoo groups, meatrabbits, rabbit_classified, etc. That could make it happen.

Awesome. I need to check out those places then, because I haven't been to any of them ;)<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 pm __________<br /><br />Awesome. I need to check out those places then, because I haven't visited to any of them ;)

How about just breeding two Bud/BUB's together and going for size after that? That way you will start off with the dwarf gene not even there and you won't have to eliminate it later. You could then add in a meat doe or two to start upping the size again.

I always caution, having the problem with size, and not making senior weight with nothing but Rex on the ped, it's not that easy to bring up weight. And the moment you cross away from Rex fur, you are going to have a time getting Rex fur. It's hard enough to get good Rex fur with two Rex. I'm in generation 3 of a group of Rex bred for four generatons before me, and still the problem lingers. with the problems with density and prominent guard hairs, I can be sure somene crossed something some time ago and I'm still dealing with it 7 years later.
there are breeders on the Ohio/west virginia border' ohio/michigan border and ohio/pa borderas well. Now that we figured out my problem and my buns are being treated, if you can wait till the end of august, I can find someone to transport rabbits down state from the breeders in the area. How far can you travel if you needed to?

Devon's Mom Lauren":2aqmkhhj said:
How about just breeding two Bud/BUB's together and going for size after that? That way you will start off with the dwarf gene not even there and you won't have to eliminate it later. You could then add in a meat doe or two to start upping the size again.

if I was to try this I would definitely try and get the biggest MRs I could find<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:47 pm __________<br /><br />
skysthelimit":2aqmkhhj said:
I always caution, having the problem with size, and not making senior weight with nothing but Rex on the ped, it's not that easy to bring up weight. And the moment you cross away from Rex fur, you are going to have a time getting Rex fur. It's hard enough to get good Rex fur with two Rex. I'm in generation 3 of a group of Rex bred for four generatons before me, and still the problem lingers. with the problems with density and prominent guard hairs, I can be sure somene crossed something some time ago and I'm still dealing with it 7 years later.
there are breeders on the Ohio/west virginia border' ohio/michigan border and ohio/pa borderas well. Now that we figured out my problem and my buns are being treated, if you can wait till the end of august, I can find someone to transport rabbits down state from the breeders in the area. How far can you travel if you needed to?

I remember from your site you are Cleveland... hm... probably alliance would be the farthest I could go.

what prices would you have in mind if I was able? :mrgreen:
{I do not need more rabbits... I do not need more rabbits... I do not need more rabbits... :roll: }

I went in with another group of folks and created a "railroad" where each person did a small portion of the traveling and brought Rex from WI through Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico. It took a bit of work, putting it together, but it worked well and it was the only way for me to get Rex where I am in Texas, at the time.

Yes, I got some from WI, took a while to arrange, but worth it.
I will ask my breeder, the guy in Toledo and another lady. I am picking up two does next week from Double R, and I'm not sure what I'm getting from the other rabbitry yet. I'll be certified clean by then. There is a lady with Angoras coming up in August, perhaps she might be able to take some down. Then there is the possibility that I can make the trip to Alliance myself. Rex from those two usually run $35-60.

someone I got rabbits off before has a pair of 8month broken black MR... $20 for both...
I have no space... I don't need them... I have no space... I don't need them... I have no space... I don't need them...

:cry: but I WAAAANNNNTTT them!!! :oops:

skysthelimit":1u619rsp said:
Yes, I got some from WI, took a while to arrange, but worth it.
I will ask my breeder, the guy in Toledo and another lady. I am picking up two does next week from Double R, and I'm not sure what I'm getting from the other rabbitry yet. I'll be certified clean by then. There is a lady with Angoras coming up in August, perhaps she might be able to take some down. Then there is the possibility that I can make the trip to Alliance myself. Rex from those two usually run $35-60.

I always thought rabbits from double R was way more than 35 to 60 each.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":wbfwlkj4 said:
I always thought rabbits from double R was way more than 35 to 60 each.

No, that sounds about right to me. At least it's in line with what he was asking for things at MSRBA spring show.

Goatgirl, I'm not sure about how long you're willing to wait, but I'm taking a trip to TN the first week of November and will be driving straight through Ohio from MI. I'll likely have some available then and could also transport from other breeders in the SE MI/NW OH areas. Not sure how much I'd ask for that, depends on how many animals and how far we'd have to travel off our path. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in :)

Latest posts

Back