Recent bout of bloat...related to mastitis?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
I was wondering if the recent dying off of more than half of the kits from Lucky's litter was due to the fact that she had mastitis and I treated her with pen G while she was still nursing . Could this have affected their intestinal flora to the point of creating a perfect environment for the wrong kind of bacteria to grow later when they were weened?

I would think it possible. I remember wondering at the time about the possible effects of penicillin on the kits, but felt that Lucky's need for it outweighed a possible problem down the road. I know that penicillin is given as an injection for rabbits to avoid it going through their digestive systems. If it was in Lucky's milk, the kits could perhaps have effects on their digestive systems.

I ALWAYS give Probios paste in conjuction with ABX treatment for mastitis. Mom and kits get it. Seems to head off the enteritis issues.

Well now I know. I think the four left will live they seem fine now. I will get up to the store and get the probios paste. Does it keep in the fridge?
Thanks for all the info. Soccer has started back up for both kids so I just got on to look.

Back