REALLY young hedgehogs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Hoglets spend the first part of their life flat, unable to ball, barely moveable faces, and blunt white quills while they sit under their mother. It's hard to get pics of these "pancakes" because hedgehog sows are normally considered rather easily stressed and much like hamsters prone to eating their young if disturbed. You aren't supposed to do anything for at least 2 weeks, possibly not even handle them until 4 weeks. Even in the case of lost hoglets from the nest you are supposed to use a spoon to move them and not get your scent on them. Well either these things have nothing to do with why hedgehogs abandon and eat their litters or mine just decided to ignore that part of the instruction manual. :lol: We have put hoglets by hand back into nests and peeked at them before 2 weeks since our first litters. One of our first litters the sow escaped the cage, gave birth in a closet, and we moved them all by hand to a new cage and nest. Didn't lose one. It was a scary cage design lesson though. Now we've gotten to peeking at them every day from the time they are do until we see pink. Adisa is my best sow so I didn't just take pictures of her pancakes this time. I picked one up and played with the macro setting on my camera. I still didn't take a lot of pics as Adisa huffed her annoyance but here are some "pancakes"

You have the most interesting critters, akane!!! Wow, baby hedgehogs.
Are these newborn? Or how old are they?
Look at you, breaking the rules! Either your hedgehogs are very tame, or its just another old wives tale, like not being able to handle rabbit kits (something we've all debunked, but you can still read it on authoritative sites) :roll:

Look at it's little squished in face! Are the eyes open yet?

Those spines look dangerous, lol! And they are so long and sparse and don't cross over each other, totally unlike the adults.

They are a couple days old. I didn't want to grab her babies right off. The first day their quills are covered by a layer of I guess skin so that they do not poke while being born. That comes off and they look like this. The eyes won't open for 2 1/2 weeks.

i needed a laugh and you gave me one...then you gave it my son...and that drew in hubby and ...laughter is good for the soul. :)

EEEEEEEE!!! Hedgehogs!
I really wanted a baby one, but they're illegal in california. :roll: Of course, there are all the people that breed them anyway - and I still want one, btw - but I also want a pet that I can take outside without getting arrested for it. :lol: :lol:

They have learned to ball and they are starting to get colors

The problem is that hedgehogs are not social. People talk about bonding with them but a hedgehog doesn't care. They aren't looking for attention or company. It's mostly breeding and handling them toward not caring what people do and having an active personality so they explore when out and are active through more times of the day than full darkness.

Back