Raspberry Leaves

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was reading thru some back posts and came across the recommendation of feeding Raspberry Leaves for various problems. My brain cells connected, and i thought "Hey, i wonder if those would be of help for 'problem Breeding does ' ??

I have a pretty good supply of dried raspberry leaves in storage. Had ordered them when i had a dairy goat who often had some trouble at freshening time. The year i used the raspberry leaves... she kidded in easy, no trouble fashion.

The one thing that sort of makes me a tiny bit hesitant... is that Raspberry leaves are supposed to stimulate uterine contractions. Could that be an issue causing a doe ( rabbit type) to lose her litter ??

I was thinking, that the doe, that only had the two kits, might benefit from the raspberry, of which i have a bunch.

Any thoughts ??

There are some who share your concerns about raspberry leaves possibly causing contractions at the wrong time. I can only relate my own experience.

My rabbits get raspberry leaves from spring through fall and have never had problems. I always feed a variety of greens, about a gallon per rabbit per day, so the raspberry leaves are never more than a big handful or two each, but the rabbits seem just fine with them. They dry well for winter too. I have no reservations about feeding them to my does at any stage: open, pregnant, kindling or nursing. They are also an excellent green for kits and will stop diarrhea without constipating.

Consider this-- in the wild- the rabbit will eat them at any time. they would always be a very small portion of the total diet. too much of anything that is 'strange' all at one time, can cause an issue. so keeplevels low and slow, you'll probabably have it made in the shade.

they call me mellow yellow......

I feed my rabbits a variety of greens. They get something fresh every day. I believe that, more than any one particular green food, is responsible for the lack of breeding problems I have. I think it triggers something in the rabbit's body chemistry and mental/emotional state that says to them it is a good time of year for breeding since there's a variety of fresh food (=spring & summer) as opposed to dried vegetation, bark and twigs (=winter=bad time to raise kits in nature).

A small amount during pregnancy shouldn't hurt.

I feed a large handful to my does after they kindle. It's all around a great herb for any kind of uterine/reproductive concerns.

Qadoshyah

Latest posts

Back