Rare breeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OneAcreFarm":kuduz3h8 said:
A&BRabbitry":kuduz3h8 said:
skysthelimit":kuduz3h8 said:
This is one of the reasons I chose Silver Fox over, NZ or Cals.
I don't quite understand your reasoning there as most breeders at the top of any breed of show quality animal does alot of line breeding within their program. It is the basis of any domestic rabbit breed.

I think she meant that she chose Silver Fox over Cals or NZW because they are a Heritage breed....

All of those other posts popped up while I was still typing. I like the thought of heritage breeds, had barred rock chickens when I had chickens. That is why I chose Silver fox over the other fast growing meat breeds.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm __________<br /><br />
3mina":kuduz3h8 said:
So I've been looking around the net and I'm leaning towards Silvers and Standard Chinchillas.
I'm finding I like the smaller rabbits :p Never thought I'd say that but the big guys are getting to be a pain to handle.
Those Chins look awfully chunky :lol:

Not to mention silver fox are like puppy dogs. Much easier to handle than my Rex.

That's what I'd figured Sky's :D
It's amazing how confusing a thread can get when everything shows up at once :mrgreen:

Typing away, then something else pops up, and you gotta fix your thread, then boom something else, and the comment is not quite what you started out with.

On thing about the heritage breeds, is getting a good trio. I got a pair, and I hope they will be what I need, because I can't seem to find a second doe, so it's gonna be mother to daughter father to son for a while. Good and bad will show up really quick. I'll get to know my breeding pair.

I right there regarding the trio, since this lady is one of two breeders for both breeds in Canada. It'll be a major undertaking to get stock somewhere else. My thought is if I can't get a trio I'm asking for the doe to be bred, I'll take diversity however I can get it ;)

Actually, Sky's I'm looking at Silvers not Silver Foxes. Slightly different build, smaller size, different silvering. I may have to get a pair of each. :mrgreen: It'll save me from having to choose I suppose

Random, pancake rabbits are very good on the grill :twisted: so no problems with that program

Random Rabbit":2s19166r said:
skysthelimit":2s19166r said:
it's gonna be mother to daughter father to son for a while.

( ummmm, Sky.... That particular program has a small issue......... :pancake: )

( sorry... simply could not resist.....)

Yeah....that *may* not work.... :twisted:

Random Rabbit":p9p0ueb7 said:
skysthelimit":p9p0ueb7 said:
it's gonna be mother to daughter father to son for a while.

( ummmm, Sky.... That particular program has a small issue......... :pancake: )

( sorry... simply could not resist.....)

Right. Should have went to bed earlier :oops: Probably should have drank more cough syrup.

__________ Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 am __________

3mina":p9p0ueb7 said:
Actually, Sky's I'm looking at Silvers not Silver Foxes. Slightly different build, smaller size, different silvering. I may have to get a pair of each. :mrgreen: It'll save me from having to choose I suppose

Random, pancake rabbits are very good on the grill :twisted: so no problems with that program

Silvers are basically non existent around here. Like big foot, talked about in hush-hush tones, but no ones really seen one.

LOL! Yeah, that could cause some issues, Sky.

In fact, I have evidence to back it up! Yes, indeedy! :p

I asked a friend if she had been having any issues with heat sterility, and she confirmed that they hadn't had a litter all summer.

They raise Cals, and their daughter mistakenly put the buck back into the doe's cage after breeding... so they have been breeding doe to doe all season! :lol:

I'm happy to say they now have litters on the way! :)

Latest posts

Back