Rabbit with open sores from chewing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
Arg! My FA buck is won't stop chewing at his back right above his tail and he his giving himself an open sore. It's not bleeding, but it looks pretty nasty. This is the second time he's done this! I checked and he doesn't have mats, fleas, mites, etc. And I can't figure out why he won't stop picking at that spot. Last time I smeared some antibiotic cream on the wound and he left it alone and it healed just fine. Now, 2-3 weeks later, he's doing it again... I feel bad for him but I don't really know how to treat this while avoiding matting up his wool.

Any ideas?

Two possibilities... he is itchy and/or in pain from something you can't see OR it is a behavioural problem resulting from frustration, boredom etc.

I'd try to find something cooling to kill the itch first. I make a salve with 3 parts olive (or other vegetable oil), one part beeswax and enough oil of peppermint to add a soothing, cooling note. I use this for myself. Maybe 5-8 drops of oil for 2 oz, salve. Microwave the oil and wax until it melts together, then stir in the essential oil and let cool. Very good stuff. More beeswax makes it stiffer and not so messy. Just an idea... I don't know that it will help but I don't think any of the ingredients would harm him if ingested in the quantity you would use.

MaggieJ made a good point that it may be from frustration or boredom. Does he have toys? Mine love cat toys, apple branches, woven grapevines, baskets made of natural materials and even toilet tissue tubes to work out their frustrations.

Hrmm.. That's a good point. I've had him awhile, but he just recently started this behavior. I have a play pen for them to play in, but he hasn't been able to go out because of the rain and snow lately. Maybe I'll get him some toys for his cage to keep him busy.

Your Rabbit could be suffering with a Fungal infection.
I would try some of the medicated Fungal creams or powders.
Make sure they will not cause problems if ingested.
As rabbits are often quick to lick anything put on them.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Bored? Maybe...We eat a lot of "Tuna-helper" my missus saves me all of the tuna cans. Nearly every pen has it's own can. You should hear the rabbits when they all start playing with them.....It sounds like an offbeat Tuna-tin-can band! Or, they'll play "Hutch-hockey" sliding them all over the wire floor. Even the old does will join in the fun with their kits.

Grumpy.

When dogs and cats have allergies it commonly affects their ears, eyes, paws, and the root of the tail. The areas affected can be only one or a combination- it may be possible that he is suffering from an allergy to something in your area.

Personally, I hope he is just bored- that is a lot easier to fix!

Back