Rabbit with fleas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd ask a vet.
There are many types of fleas and some are species specific. The actual rabbit flea that infests wild Oryctolagus cuniculus is found on wild European rabbits and tends to congregate on the ears; added to that it has an unusual life cycle and the female flea can only reproduce after feeding on the blood of a pregnant doe.
There are spot-on flea treatments that are safe for rabbits and would certainly control most kinds of flea, but vet advice would be needed to know which ones are safe.

I think I'd ask a vet.
There are many types of fleas and some are species specific. The actual rabbit flea that infests wild Oryctolagus cuniculus is found on wild European rabbits and tends to congregate on the ears; added to that it has an unusual life cycle and the female flea can only reproduce after feeding on the blood of a pregnant doe.
There are spot-on flea treatments that are safe for rabbits and would certainly control most kinds of flea, but vet advice would be needed to know which ones are safe.
Thank you

Food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) is an all-natural, safe flea treatment.

Don't create clouds of dust when you put it on (or prepare to have a breeze/fan to blow the dust away from you and bunny), because it isn't good for lungs.

If you have fleas in your carpet, it is good for that, too! (Or roaches, ants, bed bugs, lice, etc.)

Basically, DE is powdered chalk (fossilized minute sea creatures). However, for insects (including ear mites) it is deadly. It is to them what crushed glass would be for a larger creature such as a mouse, and they end up being dried out by it until they are dead. It even works on their eggs--the same way.

It is quite safe! Human beings and animals can use it externally AND internally. It kills most parasites and is an absorbent detox like charcoal.

By the way, pool grade DE is quite different from food grade and should not be given to people or animals.

Here is a link for food grade DE DiatomaceousEarth.com Official Site to Learn About Diatomaceous Earth

50# bags can save you money in the long run, but you might not need that much.

We buy several 50# bags at a time for use with people, goats, rabbits, pigs and chickens.

Here is a link for more uses of DE and how to use it: 10 Uses for Diatomaceous Earth for Home & Farm | Easy & Practical Uses

DE really is a fantastic gift from God! No chemical side effects.

Back