Rabbit with drooping lower eyelid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrairieBelle

Reaction score
I have an 2 year old english lop doe that suddenly developed a drooping lower eyelid, her third eyelids are bit relaxed as well. Is it a serious symptom? Is there something that can be done for this? I snapped some pics today, but it was worse yesterday.
I have heard of Horner's Syndrome, but it's hard to find info about rabbits.
Do you think that's what this is?
I had another doe (1.5 yrs old)with this same issue a few weeks ago, it seemed to have gone away after a day or two, I thought that maybe it was from one of her kits scratching her eye. Then she just died one night. (The kits were 6 1/2 weeks) No visible wounds, infections or anything. The weather was in the upper 70s to lower 80.
The kits have all been ok.
Any suggestions? I'm kinda worried about her.
This blurry pic shows it at its worst
image.jpg <br /><br /> -- Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:13 pm -- <br /><br /> This is more what it looks like today. It was kind of gaping yesterday, a little scary looking.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Hmmm. I raise elops, and their extra eye lid shows more often than other rabbits I raise. But the drooping I've never seen. E. Cuniculi causes some neurological problems, but not sure if it would do that. I would be very worried too since another rabbit recently died. I assume you have her away from the rest of the buns while you try to figure it out. Sorry for your loss and current problems. :(

Well, her eye got better in a few days and she has shown zero signs of illness. Neither have any of the others.
Weird, but I'm happy that she's healthy now!
I can only assume that my doe's death at my friends house was caused by something else entirely.

Back