rabbit pellets + alfalfa/timothy pellets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
producers pride rabbit pellet 15% protein $14 50#
alfalfa/timothy pellet 12% protein $14.50 40#

the rabbit pellet doesn't list alfalfa or anything specifically it says stuff like forage product and roughage product. but guessing theres some in there. so if I mixed it a portion of alfalfa/timothy pellets it shouldn't overdo too much alfalfa right? the alfalfa pellet is 16% protein and $13 40#.

if I mix it 2 part rabbit pellet and 1 part alfalfa/timothy the protein would average out to... 15+15+12= 42/3= 14% protein.
if I mix it 2 part rabbit pellet and 1 part alfalfa it would average to.. 15+15+16= 46/3= 15.33% protein.

my reason for this line of thinking is that now that I IDed horsenettle (poisonous, in the nightshade family) and am seeing that grows a lot more than I am comfortable with here. plus the toxic/abortive qualities in the flower and seed head of QAL. and the hay here it all goes together. and while I think the goats and horses did fine with it and ate around it or ate just the right small amount or something. I don't think the rabbits do that.
I think these plants, one or the combination, is what was causing all my problems with my past rabbits. so right now it would be a lot easier to put in the extra pellets with the regular rabbit pellet then fuss over is my hay poisoning the rabbits, or now I will need to source and buy real good hay and be paying top dollar plus driving out and back getting it,... Ya I think it would be a lot better to just stretch the pellets with the alfalfa or the alfalfa/timothy pellets.

PLUS I am feeding forage through the summer and come winter if needed I can adjust the mix ratio.

OR do I just chuck it and go with alfalfa pellets 16%, wheat ~9%, and loose mineral. maybe 3 part alfalfa pellet to 1 part wheat for about 14% protein. and adding rolled oats in winter.
these are the loose mineral: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... eral-50-lb ...and... http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... ral-50-lbs

ugh I don't even know what I want to do now :?

I'd be curious to see how this works for you. My rabbits will not eat the alfalfa or alfalfa/tim horse pellets. Two weeks, they ate the other pellets and left the larger horse pellets in the feeders.

Latest posts

Back