Rabbit Names

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I name all my breeders and my pedigreed babies. I have for breeders: Joy, Twitch, Angel, Cain, Buccee, Benjamin, Lee, Snowflake, JJ, Crush, FancyLike, Casper, Savanna, Charlotte, and N17. My current litter of Rex are: Indian Outlaw, Troubador, Huckleberry, Calamity, Texas Ruby, Plain Jane, Sweetheart, and Simplee Wild.

I don't name my rabbits, but sometimes they sort of *have* names already. We just got a golden retriever puppydog. 🥰🥰🥰 Hubby drove all the way across the state to pick him up and when he got back, asked me what we should name him. "Shiloh" just popped into my head, and that was his name. Usually it takes forever for DH to settle on a name. So, cool! It's the perfect name for our new little boy.

I started out with two does and a buck. None of them had been named, but one of the does didn't HAVE a name. I finally decided on Alma for her. The other doe was Sophie from the beginning, and the buck was Buster Brown. Poor Alma was a good mama, but neither she nor her kits ever got very big so I replaced her with Maizie, one of Sophie's daughters: a very pretty girl who just birthed her first litter of six healthy kits. I'm no good at coming up with names on my own, though, and even if I do force it, I can't usually remember them without constantly reminding myself..

I realize that most here don't raise rabbits as pets but does anyone besides me name them?
I bought my first two as pets. Then they took it upon themselves to drastically increase their population without consulting me first.
Giving them "the talk" failed, they are like teenagers... with a one track mind, so I had to separate them.
The first two bucks were easy to identify. I named them Lewis & Clark because they are constantly exploring every last inch of the barn.
Not sure on the remaining genders, I provided names that weren't specific to their assigned body parts.
Like Pat, Chris etc.
Whatever they turn out to be, or self-identifiy as, I'm safe.
Rabbits are more intelligent than most give them credit for. The first two actually respond to their names. Most of the time anyway.... The doe always does. The buck tends to have selective hearing depending on his mood.
Of course! I tend to name the breed quality/rabbits for resale. If I know a kit is bound for freezer camp, it feels wrong to name them. Which is strange... the larger animals all get names. Though family tradition dictates all steers are named either hamburger or steak! No names if I want to wait a little longer to see how they turn out... if they are a keeper, they get a name later.

I name all my rabbits, even the ones I don't keep. I generally sell all of them, only dispatched 2 so far.

Depends on what time of year it is. The spring ones were called names like "Hershey" "Cadbury" "Godiva"

I've decided I like more 'regal' names, so the latest batch was Apollo, Caspian, Phoebus, Rapunzel, Maona, etc

One of the does I kept from a previous litter is interestingly marked, (looks like toasted marshmallow) looks like she's going to Carnivale so I named her Calypso.

Yes, when you breed animals naming them makes it way easier to keep up with who is who and how they are related. Although the litters i know are for the freezer get the same name ("flappie") popular bunny name, but also a christmas song about the son's pet bunny ending up as christmas dinner. They are for dinner, not breeding or pet and since everything needs a name they might as well have one that fits. Note that even without children i find the idea of taking a family pet animal for the pot at least stupid. Pets have an important job that doesn't go hand in hand with being food.
Agreed about pets, I only allow the breeders and other keepers to have names for that reason. And I have promised the children who the breeders are very much pets to, as personality is just as important to me as type that they will never ever go to freezer camp but live out as retired buns due to their service.

We started with Gus and added Lola and Loretto (after my ex h mother - she wasn't very kind and neither was the rabbit) then came Chloe and Rip (he had a Rip in his ear as did Chip) then Abigail and Razz the tort. We also have George (born on July 4th) and Frank who came to us already named by one of the local kids from the fair. Ellie, Honey and Lacy have also joined the crew and Moo (bet you can't guess what he looks like) I only name the breeders or ones that stand out in some way. Either their coat pattern is different or they have a sweet disposition.

Latest posts

Back