Rabbit Names

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitDad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I realize that most here don't raise rabbits as pets but does anyone besides me name them?
I bought my first two as pets. Then they took it upon themselves to drastically increase their population without consulting me first.
Giving them "the talk" failed, they are like teenagers... with a one track mind, so I had to separate them.
The first two bucks were easy to identify. I named them Lewis & Clark because they are constantly exploring every last inch of the barn.
Not sure on the remaining genders, I provided names that weren't specific to their assigned body parts.
Like Pat, Chris etc.
Whatever they turn out to be, or self-identifiy as, I'm safe.
Rabbits are more intelligent than most give them credit for. The first two actually respond to their names. Most of the time anyway.... The doe always does. The buck tends to have selective hearing depending on his mood.

I always name every rabbit I get, even if it's a deformed or stillborn Kit (though those don't usually get creative names, one's I've used include Acorn and Haystack)
I guess it kinda feels like I have to name them, or else (I'm not sure if I can think of the right words) it feels disrespectful

Generally my animals manage to name themselves.
Elsie, our stupid cat, showed up as a seriously injured kitten.
I'm not a "cat person" (meaning if I went to the pet store, I'd buy anything else first.)
But... the poor thing needed help so we rushed it to the vet.
Not having a name, I was calling her "Little Cat". Obviously her initials were L.C. which morphed into Elsie.
My favorite horse WAS a starved, neglected and physically abused mustang. When I rescued him, he didn't come with a name.
We had a long talk when he first arrived & bonded almost immediately. Somehow animals know who they can trust.
In the days that followed, he'd do his "happy dance" each time he saw me.
I'd let him out & he'd follow me like a puppy, "helping" while I took care of the rest of the animals.
He ended up with the name "Sundance" or... "The Kid". He responds to both.
I know I shouldn't have "favorites" but other than the colt, (still a baby) he's the only problem child that demands attention.
Doesn't seem to matter what we are doing, he just wants to be part of it.
By far, the easiest horse I've ever trained. He really tries hard to make me happy.

For awhile, they were named by a 'name theme' each year. The flower year, the spice year, the Roman year, the Qualities of Light year, etc. Now, we're naming annually in alphabetical order. Eventually, they will be sorted in the database by age since it sorts their names alphabetically. Aster, even though his name starts with "A" is a pretty old bunny since he's from the Flower Year. Alexander is also older than his name would imply since he's from the Roman year. But, eventually, they'll be in alphabetical order by age.

Yes, when you breed animals naming them makes it way easier to keep up with who is who and how they are related. Although the litters i know are for the freezer get the same name ("flappie") popular bunny name, but also a christmas song about the son's pet bunny ending up as christmas dinner. They are for dinner, not breeding or pet and since everything needs a name they might as well have one that fits. Note that even without children i find the idea of taking a family pet animal for the pot at least stupid. Pets have an important job that doesn't go hand in hand with being food.

I'd let him out & he'd follow me like a puppy, "helping" while I took care of the rest of the animals.
He ended up with the name "Sundance" or... "The Kid". He responds to both.
I know I shouldn't have "favorites" but other than the colt, (still a baby) he's the only problem child that demands attention.
Doesn't seem to matter what we are doing, he just wants to be part of it.
By far, the easiest horse I've ever trained. He really tries hard to make me happy.
My stallion is like that. I had to rescue some construction workers from him when he was around 2, he was curious as to what they were doing, got out of the fence, figured out how to get to them, and kept trying to steal their tools and go in the house... They were pretty much fine with him, just pushing him out of the way when he tried to grab something or stand somewhere he shouldn't.

My stallion is like that. I had to rescue some construction workers from him when he was around 2, he was curious as to what they were doing, got out of the fence, figured out how to get to them, and kept trying to steal their tools and go in the house... They were pretty much fine with him, just pushing him out of the way when he tried to grab something or stand somewhere he shouldn't.
Sundance appointed himself as the leader of "his" herd. He gets really upset if someone isn't where they should be.
I've switched stalls with the others a few times, just to mess with him.
I'll open the gates so he can put everyone back where they should be... according to him.
God help us if his routine changes.
The colt is a little devil! I'm afraid the day will come when he challenges Sundance for leadership. He won't prevail, but I'm certain he will try anyway.

My kids were only allowed to name kits with food names when they were growing up, so there were names like stewie and mustard and pepper. Only the breeders got real names.

When I had NZ reds, I named them red food names, like Paprika, Cayenne, Pumpkin, except my buck was named for the town where I bought him--Winston.

Now my Chin breeders are named Cadbury, Clover, Chrysanthemum, and one as yet unnamed doe who I don't think I am going to keep after all, and my Angora buck is named Muppet. He will get some girlfriends this fall hopefully, who I planned to name Flopsy and Mopsy. Not very original...but given their funny appearance with their fluffy fur, appropriate. I still don't name kits usually, but that may change with the angoras.

All of mine get names. We usually pick a "theme", like a movie, band, book, TV series, etc. and pick names from that. We have done 1-D, Voltron, State ferries, the Beatles, and many MANY more. Some will get odd ball names off of their personalities, (like Tom, my showmanship/first pet rabbit, named after my grandfather because his brother pulled the fur on his face so he was "bald") but that kinda creates a bigger attachment, and while we do care about them they are still meat so you don't want to get too attached.

The one in my pfp was named fava bean, he was out of a silence of the lambs themed litter, and his mother was Rosemary who was in a litter themed as just general horror characters.

All of mine get names. We usually pick a "theme", like a movie, band, book, TV series, etc. and pick names from that. We have done 1-D, Voltron, State ferries, the Beatles, and many MANY more. Some will get odd ball names off of their personalities, (like Tom, my showmanship/first pet rabbit, named after my grandfather because his brother pulled the fur on his face so he was "bald") but that kinda creates a bigger attachment, and while we do care about them they are still meat so you don't want to get too attached.

The one in my pfp was named fava bean, he was out of a silence of the lambs themed litter, and his mother was Rosemary who was in a litter themed as just general horror characters.
I like the name Fava Bean

Recently I've had quite a few named after video game characters which leads to some very... Interesting... Names
"Pat" & "Chris" got their names from the SNL spin-off movie "It's Pat"!
For those unfamiliar with it, throughout the entire movie we don't know if Pat is male or female.
Then at the end, Pat is getting married... right about when we expect to figure it out, Pat marries Chris. You can't tell what Chris's gender is either!
Perfect names for unidentifiable rabbits.

I realize that most here don't raise rabbits as pets but does anyone besides me name them?
I bought my first two as pets. Then they took it upon themselves to drastically increase their population without consulting me first.
Giving them "the talk" failed, they are like teenagers... with a one track mind, so I had to separate them.
The first two bucks were easy to identify. I named them Lewis & Clark because they are constantly exploring every last inch of the barn.
Not sure on the remaining genders, I provided names that weren't specific to their assigned body parts.
Like Pat, Chris etc.
Whatever they turn out to be, or self-identifiy as, I'm safe.
Rabbits are more intelligent than most give them credit for. The first two actually respond to their names. Most of the time anyway.... The doe always does. The buck tends to have selective hearing depending on his mood.
Generally we only name the employees (ie. breeders) but we agreed that others might be called number-names such as James Bond 007... Agent 32... Officer 21... it seemed fun to issue them badge numbers, and keeping it sequential helps a lot.

Notwithstanding sometimes they get nicknames before they become employees. We had a dog attack our rabbits on Cinco De Mayo while we were watching The Three Amigos, so the one that escaped the dogs was tattooed Lucky Day

Generally we only name the employees (ie. breeders) but we agreed that others might be called number-names such as James Bond 007... Agent 32... Officer 21... it seemed fun to issue them badge numbers, and keeping it sequential helps a lot.

Notwithstanding sometimes they get nicknames before they become employees. We had a dog attack our rabbits on Cinco De Mayo while we were watching The Three Amigos, so the one that escaped the dogs was tattooed Lucky Day
Please don't forget Agent 86, 99, The Chief, Laraby, and of course Hymie.
I've rarely been interested in TV, generally too tired from working my butt off.
However I made exceptions for Get Smart & Green Acres. Those were just too good to miss.

My kids were only allowed to name kits with food names when they were growing up, so there were names like stewie and mustard and pepper. Only the breeders got real names.

When I had NZ reds, I named them red food names, like Paprika, Cayenne, Pumpkin, except my buck was named for the town where I bought him--Winston.

Now my Chin breeders are named Cadbury, Clover, Chrysanthemum, and one as yet unnamed doe who I don't think I am going to keep after all, and my Angora buck is named Muppet. He will get some girlfriends this fall hopefully, who I planned to name Flopsy and Mopsy. Not very original...but given their funny appearance with their fluffy fur, appropriate. I still don't name kits usually, but that may change with the angoras.
Absolutely love the names Flopsy and Mopsy for angora does! :love: Great names here.

Back