Rabbit in petting zoo environment???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroodCoop

Reaction score
If a hundred or so people pet a rabbit after possibly petting other animals or anything else people do without washing their hands when they should; what would you expect for consequences or risks?

The last petting exhibit I saw, they had hand sanitizer stations at the entrance. All the animals belonged to the exhibit, so I assume they weren't worried about animal to animal contamination, only whatever came in with the humans. But I wouldn't want a hundred possibly flu contagious kids petting MY rabbits.

Is it any riskier than for any other animal there? If you condemn it for rabbits you have to condemn the entire practice.

With Akane on this-- In most situations, with parents being anal about 'germs' there usually are bottles of sanitizer readily available.. The last bunch of fairs I went to, I swear, even the worst food trailers had them, as well. All animal barns had them at every entrance/exit-- The thing I would worry about witht he rabbits, is potential rough handling-- no small rabbits-- only big heavy ones!@!!

The sad thing is, the final year I was teaching, our school nurse put around a memo that the hand sanitizer did not kill several of the current germs, that only HOT water and soap washing (for at least 20 seconds)was thorough.

I saw a few rabbits at the petting zoo section of the zoo in Oklahoma city...they were in a pen with high walls though so i doubt the smallest children could reach them (probably prevents rough handling a bit better that way) and they all appeared healthy...there was hand sanitizer there and sinks with soap to wash if you choose...but that was near the exit...main concern seemed to be to wash the animals germs off kids hands for the most part. I remember it so well because it was the first time I saw a silver fox in person @.@ and an American blue for that matter...the blue was the friendlier of the two ...or at least the one that wasn't tired of people for the day yet :p

I would worry about the kids having a sick rabbit at home and then me bringing the disease back to my herd, but you face the same problems when you take rabbits to shows, and they have an even higher chance of contaminating your buns.

Most people would quarantine the rabbit to limit the risk.

That being said, I had an English Lop as a kid. My first rabbit, and at the time, my only rabbit. She was so unique looking, people came from all over to see her and other animals in my mini zoo. We took her to parks and to schools where she met lots of different people and she never got ill, so it depends on the rabbits immune system as well.

This is a similar situation. People go ga-ga over a Flemish Giant and get a huge kick out of petting such a large rabbit. I like sharing this but don't want to hurt the rabbit or the herd.

Our church has a fall carnival every year that includes a petting zoo (they contract with an animal-rescue farm). The rescue provides hand sanitizer at the entrance, and most of the parents have their children use it. The last couple of years, I've been the only one the animal owners would allow to hold the rabbits, although the children were allowed to pet them.

My kids take care of our own rabbits before we go, so by the time we see them again, we've already washed hands, showered and changed clothes.

Allow me to play Devils' advocate here. It is my firm opinion that people who are always trying to sterilize everything end up sicker than those of us who just take life as it comes. Multiple studies have shown that those who are exposed regularly to animals have a stronger immune system than those who are not. I consider wiping my hands on the seat of my britches good enough after handling my rabbits. I seldom get colds and, so far as I know, have never had the flu.

Back