Rabbit Hide Dog Treats

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderHill

Reaction score
Hello! I've been wanting to make dog treats out of rabbit pelts but couldn't find a good thread on the subject, so I figured I'd just start one! I'd love to hear from anyone who uses their pelts this way. What is your method to prepare them, how long do they keep, etc. I'm not interested in tanning (after a few failed attempts), but don't want the pelts going to waste if we can make healthy treats out of them for the dog. Thanks in advance!
20220715_083042.jpg

I have personally never made dog treats out of the pelt I usally just tan it. But I would assume you could dry it out like you do with ears… like in a dehydrator or in the oven..or maybe even cut it up and put it in the freezer and take some out for treats.. that is what I do with he ears!! You can also give the feet to the dogs as well. Also your dog is adorable!!

I discovered a crazy video...in a country that is possibly indonesia? Hot, tropical, not anywhere I have been. Anyway.

They PLUCKED the rabbit fur, like scalding a pig, and cooked it with the skin on...I was astounded by the fact that I never considered the idea. I want to try it now.

I just case skin the rabbits, put them on a hide stretcher (like a huge safety pin) and let them dry--away from flies. When they are all dry (in a few days), take a razor and cut around to form a "ring" of hide/fur. If you use a scissors, you end up with a lot of messy fur flying around so you might want to try the razor. Our dogs love these! They also love the whole, dried hides, but can't finish them in one sitting. The fur on doesn't seem to be an issue--it is about the same when predators catch a rabbit in the wild. Pretty easy!

I have ideas for the future of shaving off the hairs and saving them for spinning with sheep wool--or using some to line nests that have to be re-formed after cleaning out. Then, the dogs can enjoy the skin and I can still use the "rabbit wool".

I just put the dried hides in a paper shopping bag and let them breathe on an indoor shelf since last summer. (I wouldn't recommend using plastic! Air is important!)

After some weeks, I used a butter knife to scrape off the thick fat deposits (they were starting to get runny/sticky--messy) and then rubbed the oil off the hides with a paper towel (the dogs were happy to eat those treats!).

A year later, stored in the paper shopping bag on my shelf, the skins are still nice and dry and smell very clean. I thought they might get sticky and rancid, but they are really nice and "smooth"/stiff. A tiny amount of oil is still coming off as I can see it on the bag.

I live in New England, so we have very hot and humid weather for about 3/4 of the year. I was pleasantly surprised that the skins didn't mold, rot, get rancid or attract any bugs.

I didn't use salt to dry them. I was trying to find a fast and economical way to preserve them. And, I am thinking these possibly could be rehydrated in an alum pickle to tan--haven't tried yet. Or, slit the tops, add holes for laces and have a warm/rustic set of slippers. ;-) I bet they could be dried over a form of some kind to make something nice and furry....

Hope it works for you! God bless you!

Also, if you don't eat the organs, they are great for the dogs--all of the innards, including the intestines and stomach. There are digestive enzymes, partially digested food that is easy nutrition and probiotics in there (as long as they appear/smell healthy).
Head, feet, insides--basically, anything you don't want to eat. That's what the wild dogs eat!

Also, if you don't eat the organs, they are great for the dogs--all of the innards, including the intestines and stomach. There are digestive enzymes, partially digested food that is easy nutrition and probiotics in there (as long as they appear/smell healthy).
Head, feet, insides--basically, anything you don't want to eat. That's what the wild dogs eat!
There is a survival book I had that mentioned eating the contents of the rabbit stomach, because of the enzymes and nutrients. In the book it is referred to as “rabbit salad”. This of course was wild rabbit, in a survival situation.

Well, I hope I don't ever have a need to eat the stomach myself (I think it would be difficult), but I am happy that our dogs are getting that super nutrition. Saves on trips to the vet! We have been raising one of our working dogs on supplementary rabbit, and she is really alert and healthy--coat shining!

Thanks! We split our rabbits with the dog already, keeping the loin and back legs for ourselves and the rest supplements the dog's diet. However, while we do give him the head, feet, and organs, we haven't been saving the stomach and intestines for him. Those usually get buried somewhere in the garden or under a fruit tree. It's good to know that we can save those for him, too, and they are really good for him!

There is a survival book I had that mentioned eating the contents of the rabbit stomach, because of the enzymes and nutrients. In the book it is referred to as “rabbit salad”. This of course was wild rabbit, in a survival situation.
Oh wow! That's really interesting! Although I agree with Therese, and hope I never need to try this myself!

The author said the taste of the juices in the stomach are like vinegar. The main thing it is edible and is nutritious, and will not hurt you. Sounds like you just add a touch of olive oil! Yum! White wine I think!

Ha! I am sure if you gave it a name in French, it could be served in the finest restaurants!

A point about the intestines, the dogs (and even pigs) won't eat them if they "stink" from diarrhea or some other issue, so I don't feel I have to be too careful about the condition of the rabbit.

Latest posts

Back