rabbit diets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb59

Reaction score
I raise NZ Whites, Florida Whites, and a few Satins. I've been doing this for about a year now, feeding them a diet of alfalfa and pellets, with ocassional treats my wife gives them from her garden. I've read what to feed them and what NOT to feed them but I have never seen a suggested amount that they should be getting each day. My wife thinks I overfeed them.

Can anyone that has more knowledge of rabbits than I, recommend a suggested amount of food rabbits should intake each day?

Thanks a million for any assistance with this.

- Joe

In the summer my bucks and resting does get about 3/4 ounce per pound of rabbit but some people suggest 1 ounce per pound.

They'll need more in the winter as they exert more energy keeping warm
Pregnant and lactating does need more.
Growing youngsters need more.

It really depends on the environment and your stock.

It does vary a little, as Dood said.

My 5-pound rabbits get about 4 - 5 ounces per day. My larger rabbits get 6 - 7 ounces, depending on how much they eat, and how they feel.

A quick, easy way to keep track of a rabbit's weight:

Run your fingertips down the rabbit's spine, from shoulders to rump.

If the spine feels like gentle, rolling bumps, the rabbit is the right weight.

If it feels somewhat spiky, the rabbit is too thin.

If you can't feel the spine, the rabbit is fat.

NOW -- there are a few meat rabbit lines with very well-developed loins that actually come above the level of the spine. To feel these, you have to press your fingertips gently in to the spine, between the loins, and run your fingertips down that way.

Dood":12yqzsfe said:
In the summer my bucks and resting does get about 3/4 ounce per pound of rabbit but some people suggest 1 ounce per pound.

They'll need more in the winter as they exert more energy keeping warm
Pregnant and lactating does need more.
Growing youngsters need more.

It really depends on the environment and your stock.

I live in SE Pa. Thank you Dood. You've given me a good basic start.<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:44 pm __________<br /><br />
Miss M":12yqzsfe said:
It does vary a little, as Dood said.

My 5-pound rabbits get about 4 - 5 ounces per day. My larger rabbits get 6 - 7 ounces, depending on how much they eat, and how they feel.

A quick, easy way to keep track of a rabbit's weight:

Run your fingertips down the rabbit's spine, from shoulders to rump.

If the spine feels like gentle, rolling bumps, the rabbit is the right weight.

If it feels somewhat spiky, the rabbit is too thin.

If you can't feel the spine, the rabbit is fat.

NOW -- there are a few meat rabbit lines with very well-developed loins that actually come above the level of the spine. To feel these, you have to press your fingertips gently in to the spine, between the loins, and run your fingertips down that way.

Interesting method of tracking weight. I like it. Will give this a shot tomorrow. Thank you.

I base it on whether food is left from the previous feeding and on the feel of the spine.

But, just because food is left over from the last feeding doesn't always mean to cut back--it could mean something is up with the rabbit. So, it is important to always be observant of your rabbits...how much they are eating, drinking, how their fur looks, how their spine feels, the "brightness" of the eyes, etc.

I'm personally very big on the "light in the eye". I used it when working with abused infants/toddlers who couldn't otherwise express how they felt...and I use it with my animals...the eyes speak volumes if you learn to look....

:welcome: to RabbitTalk, JB!

I use the method that Miss M mentioned.

However, I recently found a rabbit mentor (show rabbits) and she says to free feed your show rabbits, so I have recently adopted that regimen for them.

Frecs":2bzmkwst said:
I'm personally very big on the "light in the eye". I used it when working with abused infants/toddlers who couldn't otherwise express how they felt.

Oh my gosh. That is just too sad. :cry:

MamaSheepdog":38nm5svf said:
Frecs":38nm5svf said:
I'm personally very big on the "light in the eye". I used it when working with abused infants/toddlers who couldn't otherwise express how they felt.

Oh my gosh. That is just too sad. :cry:

Broke my heart...I eventually had to stop because of the emotional toll it took on me. But, I can say that it was very rewarding to work with a child for a period of time and see that light come back on!

Frecs":3w3lokgm said:
Broke my heart...I eventually had to stop because of the emotional toll it took on me.

Bless you for the work that you did. I couldn't do it. I would have to keep them all.

Sorry for the thread hijack, JB. :oops:

I raise 3 different breed of rabbits (NZ White, Fl White, and Satins). The NZ Whites and Florida Whites I can see this working (the light of the eyes) but the Satins have always been shy and standoffish. Just not sure this would work with them. But I'm not entirely sure I have your gift with noticing this.

Frecs":2ma4dqrx said:
I base it on whether food is left from the previous feeding and on the feel of the spine.

But, just because food is left over from the last feeding doesn't always mean to cut back--it could mean something is up with the rabbit. So, it is important to always be observant of your rabbits...how much they are eating, drinking, how their fur looks, how their spine feels, the "brightness" of the eyes, etc.

I'm personally very big on the "light in the eye". I used it when working with abused infants/toddlers who couldn't otherwise express how they felt...and I use it with my animals...the eyes speak volumes if you learn to look....

jb59":1ykn10w0 said:
I raise 3 different breed of rabbits (NZ White, Fl White, and Satins). The NZ Whites and Florida Whites I can see this working (the light of the eyes) but the Satins have always been shy and standoffish. Just not sure this would work with them. But I'm not entirely sure I have your gift with noticing this.

The "are they eating all their feed per meal" test and the "how do their feel along the spine" tests are certainly the better tests to use. :p

Welcome to RT, Jb! I am always happy to see a fellow Pennsylvanian with the same interests. I am from SE Pa too. About Ann hour and a half north of Philly.
I am glad you asked the question about feed. I have been looking into that lately. Don't have any rabbits yet, but plan on having French Angoras by Spring, and possibly American blues. So excited to start on this hoppy adventure.

Oh have you ever thought of feeding fodder to your buns? I am seriously thinking of feeding mine that way.

They definitely all eat all their food (normally). I started trying the spine test and hope to have that mastered or at least understood soon.

Thank you.

Frecs":33bfavzp said:
jb59":33bfavzp said:

The "are they eating all their feed per meal" test and the "how do their feel along the spine" tests are certainly the better tests to use. :p
<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:03 pm __________<br /><br />Thank you 3Lil. I'm real close to you (Jonestown) as I am also about that distance from Philly. I moved up here 4 years ago from Florida.

I've been doing this for about a year or so now but haven't heard the fodder feeding thing yet. Please enlighten me.

3LilMonkeys":33bfavzp said:
Welcome to RT, Jb! I am always happy to see a fellow Pennsylvanian with the same interests. I am from SE Pa too. About Ann hour and a half north of Philly.
I am glad you asked the question about feed. I have been looking into that lately. Don't have any rabbits yet, but plan on having French Angoras by Spring, and possibly American blues. So excited to start on this hoppy adventure.

Oh have you ever thought of feeding fodder to your buns? I am seriously thinking of feeding mine that way.

I have a couple of questions about the "approx. 1 oz food per pound of live rabbit" guideline.

--Does this mean "1 oz. pellets per lb rabbit"?

--Does it mean "1 oz. everything added up per lb rabbit"?

--If I weigh the foraged veggies (from my own veggie boxes and weeds/native plants), they're bulky but not dense, so they appear HUGE but don't weigh much. I'd be feeding Parsley Graybuns forage by the carload lot if I tried to get 11 oz. of the stuff to him every day. :eek:

--I haven't tried sprouting anything yet (i.e., fodder) simply because finding small, reasonable quantities of whole, untreated oats and barley is more difficult than I had expected. (Wheat "berries" are available at the local organic grocery store.) The organic garden-supply source I had thought to use is set up for people who have acreage, not "footage." :lol:

--Where does hay figure into this guideline? Hay is Parsley's #1 source of entertainment! Yes, he has a couple of toys (one of which is a hay container that rolls and flips around; the other is a hanging wooden toy that makes the most satisfying *thwack* noises when he slaps/punches/noses/heads it), but Loose Hay is his favorite. He can --eat it --redecorate the ex-pen with it --throw it into/out of the litter box --throw it out of the ex-pen --wallow in it --"wash" it in his water bowl --he "can haz" just TOO MUCH FUN with hay! How much "new" hay should I give him per day if I follow the "1 oz per 1 lb" guideline?

Baseline: He weighed 11.56 lb (5.25 kg) at the vet's the week I brought him home (adoption day was 28 September 2013).

(I keep trying to tell myself that I'm "only figuring things out so that Parsley can have optimum nutrition and provide me with optimum garden fertilizer for as long as possible" [given that we have no idea of his age; I suppose he could be anywhere from 2 to 5 years old]. Yes. I keep trying to tell myself that, although I really still want my very own English or Giant Angora, pluck-able, with the sweet and personable disposition. Parsley, although sweet and loaded with personality--almost too much personality, maybe!--really isn't a very cuddly kind of rabbit.... Maybe he needs a friend to help bring him out of his shell...you know? :twisted: )

DogCatMom":19so7dl2 said:
I have a couple of questions about the "approx. 1 oz food per pound of live rabbit" guideline.

--Does this mean "1 oz. pellets per lb rabbit"?

--Does it mean "1 oz. everything added up per lb rabbit"?

--If I weigh the foraged veggies (from my own veggie boxes and weeds/native plants), they're bulky but not dense, so they appear HUGE but don't weigh much. I'd be feeding Parsley Graybuns forage by the carload lot if I tried to get 11 oz. of the stuff to him every day. :eek:

That is strictly in terms of pellets. Once you start with other stuff, it gets more complexicated. (I invented that word. :mrgreen: )

If your primary feed for Parsley is pellets, give him 11 ozs of pellets per day, plus hay, plus a small amount of treats.
If you give pellets, plus more than just "treats"...then, reduce the pellets a bit. How much is a "bit"? Therein lies a very excellent question. If Parsley isn't prone to gluttony, you can let him tell you...by how many pellets he doesn't eat.

--I haven't tried sprouting anything yet (i.e., fodder) simply because finding small, reasonable quantities of whole, untreated oats and barley is more difficult than I had expected. (Wheat "berries" are available at the local organic grocery store.) The organic garden-supply source I had thought to use is set up for people who have acreage, not "footage." :lol:

If you are only dealing with one rabbit, try looking at www.sproutpeople.com...or another company providing sprouting seeds for people.

--Where does hay figure into this guideline? Hay is Parsley's #1 source of entertainment! Yes, he has a couple of toys (one of which is a hay container that rolls and flips around; the other is a hanging wooden toy that makes the most satisfying *thwack* noises when he slaps/punches/noses/heads it), but Loose Hay is his favorite. He can --eat it --redecorate the ex-pen with it --throw it into/out of the litter box --throw it out of the ex-pen --wallow in it --"wash" it in his water bowl --he "can haz" just TOO MUCH FUN with hay! How much "new" hay should I give him per day if I follow the "1 oz per 1 lb" guideline?

Baseline: He weighed 11.56 lb (5.25 kg) at the vet's the week I brought him home (adoption day was 28 September 2013).

(I keep trying to tell myself that I'm "only figuring things out so that Parsley can have optimum nutrition and provide me with optimum garden fertilizer for as long as possible" [given that we have no idea of his age; I suppose he could be anywhere from 2 to 5 years old]. Yes. I keep trying to tell myself that, although I really still want my very own English or Giant Angora, pluck-able, with the sweet and personable disposition. Parsley, although sweet and loaded with personality--almost too much personality, maybe!--really isn't a very cuddly kind of rabbit.... Maybe he needs a friend to help bring him out of his shell...you know? :twisted: )

I don't even bother trying to calculate in the hay...but I feed grass hay. If you are feeding alfalfa, you would want to figure it in...somehow...because it is contributing to the protein portion of the diet.

I think Parsley needs a nice French girlfriend...as in French Angora...yep, that's what he needs...a sweet French girlfriend... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He eats orchard grass hay. Well, that's what's put into his eating bowl/hay rack. The litter box is filled with shredded newspaper, topped with timothy hay. He redecorates mostly with the orchard grass (short little pieces, so it's easy to see which is which, plus it looks like grass).

He receives LOTS of forage every day, with pellets mostly as a supplement. I cut the pellets back the other day when I had to...ah...really work to feel his spine. Whoa!

I'll need to weigh the forage, but volume-wise, it's approx. 4 cups/day. Pellets = 5 Tb./day (I think of them as a supplement, just in case of mineral deficiencies, etc.).

Coat is plush, he LOVES the forage, energy is good, etc.

With using the pellets as supplement, don't worry about the measures given above (the 1oz to 1lb ratio).

If you are giving "forage" like carrots, apples, or other "sweet" plant parts...go easy. Those can make for a fat rabbit. Most of the "forage" should be weeds, grasses, leaves, twigs, that sort of thing that is fibrous and high protein, low carb.

The fresh-foods part of Parsley Graybuns' diet--the majority of his food--is usually several (or most) of the following:

from the garden
chicory leaves/stems
parsley leaves/stems
basil leaves/stems
dandelion leaves/flowers
plantain leaves
mallow leaves/stems
chard leaves, small
arugula leaves, stems, flowers (almost hay-like)
kale leaves, small and very few
rose branches with leaves and a rose hip or two
blackberry leaves, small branches
one huge sow thistle (in neighbor's yard; 18" or so--45 cm--tall)

from the produce store (mostly free, trimmed from their produce; this is for days when I don't forage in the garden)
romaine leaves, white stem broken off and discarded
celery stalks, root cut off and discarded
Italian flat-leaf parsley (purchased b/c Parsley just LOVES parsley!)
collard leaves, one leaf per meal--they're huge
fennel leaves, stems

from the kitchen (everything else that's not pellets or hay)
sliced-up baby carrots
apple cores, seeded, and a few small pieces of apple every few days
banana peels
corn husks

He's definitely "bright-eyed and bushy tailed"! :)

Latest posts

Back