Rabbit book- thoughts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
Hey RT! I haven't been on here too much lately....sorry bout' that. I plan to try and be on here much more!
I started writing a new book a few weeks ago. It's a fiction rabbit book, about a rabbit on Rabbit Island named Sparrow. I have never been to Rabbit Island but really, really, really, want to go! :lol: I have decided to share what I have so far with you. Let me know what you think and if I should change/add anything! BTW, none of it is edited yet, so misspelled words and such haven't been changed yet ( and I am just a kid, so none of it's gonna be super realistic..sorry.) Now, presenting......Into the Burrow!!!!
Prologue:
a grey rabbit hopped quickly through the crowd of rabbits. What was happening? This had to be put to order.
“ Everyone! Everyone calm down!” he called loudly. But the other rabbits didn’t listen. Hadn't he just called? Wasn’t he loud enough?
“ Where are the humans?” called out a rabbit.
Cloud dashed through the crowd. But a white rabbit with red eyes and a grey nose stepped into his way. Could skidded to a halt, his large back feet sliding out in front of him. He stopped just in time. The two rabbits were face to face, touching noses.
“ Nice day isn’t it?” said the other rabbit.
Cloud smelled her. She was a doe. A young adult. Not a junior but not a full adult. 12 moon rises, like he was.
“ Yes, yes it is.” Cloud agreed.
The doe stepped back.
“ So any idea what's going on?” she asked.
Cloud shook his head. He didn’t know, but he was going to find out. And he was going to settle this, once and for all.
“ I don't know,” he said to the doe, “ But I am going to fix this.”
The doe snorted, “ Let's see how that goes for you.”
Cloud grunted.
Really? She didn’t think he could do this? Sure he could. Just give him a few minutes.
Cloud shook his head and his thoughts went away. Time to do something.
Cloud thumped his back foot on the dusty, rocky ground.
“ Fellow lagamorphs!” he said loud enough for all the rabbits to hear.
“ I do not know what has happened to our humans, or their other animals, or their kits, but I do know that they are not coming back for a long time.”
The rabbits gasped.
“ But I have a solution. We can live by ourselves! Survive and fight and raise our young, just like our ancestors did! Do you think we can do it? I think we can! But in order for this to work, I need three wise does and two brave bucks to come forward.
A white doe came up, along with an opal doe, a chestnut buck, a black buck, and the pretty young doe he had seen earlier.
“ Thank you.” Cloud greeted them.
The other rabbits nodded their greetings and sat down.
“ Now bucks, choose a doe. This will be your doe. Together you will raise a burrow. A herd of rabbits.”
The chestnut buck took the white doe, and the black buck, the opal doe.
The young doe came up to Cloud.
“ I know you said that the bucks choose, but I want to choose you.” she said.
Cloud nodded, proud.
“ My name is Cloud and I will name my burrow the White Burrow. This doe is my doe.” he announced.
The black buck announced his burrow name as the Black Burrow and the chestnut buck named his the Amber Burrow.
“ Now rabbits that have not been called up, choose your burrow. It can be any burrow out of these three. Once you have chosen your burrow you will belong to that burrow for life and listen to the Buck rabbit. You shall not have kits of your own unless you are a Mother Rabbit or a Buck Rabbit.” Cloud explained.
The other rabbits nodded and hopped over to there chosen burrow.

The White Burrow got about 10 rabbits, along with Cloud and his doe.
“ Tell me your name doe.” Cloud told his doe.
“ My name will be whatever you call me.” She answered.
So Cloud named her Flower, and together they had many kits.

The rabbits lived in their chosen burrows from this day forth, in happiness. The rabbits forgot about their human masters, and lived their own lives, wild and free.

Chapter one:
Fern sniffed at the wriggling kits. They were 2 weeks old, their eyes were opened and their coats were growing in nicely. Fern, the Mother Rabbit of the White burrow flopped down beside the litter. She thought about their mother, Willow, her daughter. She remembered when Willow had been this age. But then the hunters came and killed most of the does. Willow along with them. Oh how she missed her daughter! Willow had been a beautiful doe, of only 2 years old. She had had cream fur with one white stripe going down her forehead, and onto her nose. Fern was interrupted from her thoughts, when her mate, Thunder, the Buck rabbit, dashed into the burrow. He bent down and sniffed at the kits a bit, but then hopped off through a tunnel to the next burrow. Bucks never showed much interest in the kits, especially if they weren't their own. It was Thunder's job to check on the rabbits of the White burrow, making sure they were safe. He hardly came into this burrow just to rest. He hardly came into this burrow at all. Thunder roamed above ground for the most of the day. Fern on the other hand, stayed down here almost her whole life. She was the Mother Rabbit, which meant that she had to have all the kits. She had about a day or two to roam above, but then it was back to the burrows. The only contact with other rabbits she had was the occasional appearance of Thunder. Well, besides for the kits. They stirred, waking from their sleep. Fern called them to nurse. It wasn't long before they would be starting to go out on their own, exploring the tunnels and burrows. Fern sighed, layed back her ears and let herself fall asleep.
~

Sparrow leapt in the air, doing the most epic binky of all. He honked and scurried through the grass. He was six months old now and had left his mother, Fern. Now he spent most of his days above the burrow, running around and grazing on the grass. But today he wasn't looking for grass, today he was looking for dandelions. Those were the best. They tasted magnificent. And they gave you lots of energy. Sparrow hopped towards the burrow and slipped inside. He needed to find One Ear. She knew where all the good patches of dandelions and clover were. Sparrow slowed to a walk and tiptoed into the closest den. Luckily enough One Ear was inside, dozing with her ears layed back and her eyes in slits. “ One Ear!” Sparrow honked loudly. One Ear leapt up surprised. She thumped her back foot, her eyes wide. Sparrow laughed nervously. “ Did I scare you?” he asked. One Ear glared at him and growled,
“ You should never awake a rabbit ( especially an elder!) from there sleep like that!”
Sparrow winced and sat down. One Ear cooled down and smiled gently on him.
“ Now, now,” she said kindly, “ What do you need? You seem to be in quite a hurry.”
Sparrow asked her about the dandelion patch. One Ear listened thoughtfully.
Her name had once been Flower, but since she had lost her ear, she was called One Ear. Sparrow didn't know if she minded it at all.
“ The nearest clover patch would be by the big sap tree, but you're looking for dandelions. Now dandelions are a different story. The best one is quite far from here though. You could go, but I wouldn’t recommend it. That's where the foxes like to roam.”
Sparrow narrowed his eyes, “ I'm not afraid of foxes!” he said bravely.
One Ear laughed, “ You will be when one comes to eat you!”
Sparrow glared at her. One Ear smiled gently and said, “ Go on, find yourself a dandelion patch. My advice and knowledge seems to have no affect on you.”
Sparrow grinned and hopped out the den. Once he was out of the burrow, he shook himself off, and running off again.
~
Sparrow carfully tip toed in the grass. He hadn't been very wise and headed to the place where the foxes lived. But, to be fair, he had found two or three dandelions. They had been delicous. Sparrow looked around. Jackpot.
5 dandlions were a little over on the left. Sparrow headed straight for them. He took one and looked at his surroundings. Was it just him, or did he see something red out of the corner of his eye? Eh, it didn't matter. Sparrow bent down and took another dandelion. Sparrow, being young, did not know what a fox looked or smelled like. So it was no surprise that a fox leapt out of nowehere and pounced on him. Sparrow screamed in shock. He growled, and kicked but the fox held his grip. Then Sparrow tried playing dead. That didn't work either. He had to give up. He was going to be killed and eaten.
When Sparrow thought this was his last moment, a large bang came out of nowehere and the fox and him went tumbling down. Sparrow opened his eyes to see a strange creature, with paws that looked like claws, pick up the fox. It was dead. The creature who had killed his attacker, was holding a long shiny tube in one of his paws. Sparrow took one look at the strange object and at once decided it was dangerous. Sparrow leapt up and went scurrying off. The strange being saw this and set the object into action. More large bangs came, startling Sparrow. He kicked his long back legs in pursuit. Finally, he was back home and slipped into the burrow. He ran through the tunnels until he was in One Ear's den. But she wasn't there. Sparrow needed to tell her of his adventure and of the weird creature he had seen. He went into the next burrow. Only two old cream rabbits were there. They greeted him with honks and erect ears. Sparrow left that den and headed for the next. He was stopped at the entrance. Someone was stopping him. Sparrow slowly looked up. The rabbit looking down at him was no other than the Buck Rabbit, Thunder. Thunder was not happy.
“ You went to the dandelion patch.” he said. Was this a question?
“ Y-yes.”
“ The one where the foxes roam?” Thunder asked.
“ Y-y-yes...yes sir.”
Thunder snorted and hopped off. Sparrow sighed with releif. He could've been in big trouble. Sparrow looked inside the den. And there was One ear! Sparrow dashed to her and started to tell her of his findings. One Ear didn't respond.
When Sparrow was finished, he asked One Ear if she had ever been to that meadow, or seen a strange creature like that. She didn't answer. Sparrow looked down at her. She was still. Sparrow honked at her. Nothing. He patted her. She was cold. What was happening? What was wrong with her? Then it hit him.
One Ear was dead.

So what do you think? I plan to write more soon! Pics of the characters ( and a family tree so you can understand who the rabbits in chapter one are) coming soon!!!

Are you a warriors fan?
Is Sparrow one of the kits in the first part of chapter one? I feel like this might not go well for him lol
I could talk about fictional stories and editing forever - even reading your own story for the twentieth time and you'll still find errors or parts you aren't sure how you want to say it. But with this excerpt, my main comments for editing (outside of grammar and spelling) would be

Look at the structure of your sentences - most of them follow generally the same structure (theres a lot of simple subject-verb sentences, and those should mostly be used for effect or in dialogue where it can't break up the flow as easily, in my opinion) and try to add some variations to it. Every sentence should have a reason for being its certain length and structure. Sudden revelations - 'One Ear was dead' should be shorter, to the point sentences, but descriptions should be longer observations - "Was it just him, or did he see something red out of the corner of his eye?". This is a big part of voice, so it is different with every person

Another thing, is that I see a lot of repetition. My general goal when writing is once I use a word (not a word like "the", "a" or "as", but actual content words, like "red", "dandelion" or "run" - words that carry their own meaning) to not use it again for at least two sentences, at not more than twice in a paragraph, unless you absolutely have to. This is where you might pull out a thesaurus. For example, you might turn the part "Sparrow, being young, did not know what a fox looked or smelled like. So it was no surprise that a fox leapt out of nowehere and pounced on him. Sparrow screamed in shock. He growled, and kicked but the fox held his grip" into "Sparrow, being young, did not know what a fox looked or smelled like. So it was no surprise that one leapt out of nowhere and pounced on him. Sparrow screamed in shock. He growled, and kicked but the creature held his grip." Another word you might want to look at is dandelions in the middle, and rabbit in the beginning (maybe "a grey rabbit hopped quickly through the crowd of bucks and does" or something that effect instead).

And lastly, "show, don't tell". Instead of saying what happened, write what your character noticed to draw to that conclusion, like you do at the end when he realizes the doe is dead. The phrase "5 dandlions were a little over on the left" might be "Sparrow spotted five dandelions, peeking out behind a patch of grass a little over on the left". The word "is" and all its variations (are, was, had been) aren't very descriptive, and often can be replaced with better words.

Sorry if the comments are a little long,
You're pretty good with avoiding passive voice and framing dialogue, which some people find to be the hardest parts of writing. The story is looking pretty good so far, and I'm excited to see what happens next.

SableSteel already addressed the editing suggestions -- and I agree with most of the points he brought up -- so I won't repeat all that here.

I did want to say, though, that I really enjoyed the first chapter and I hope you'll let us read the next chapter when it's finished. I like all the characters and the concept of the rabbit herd living in the wild.

:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

@StableSteel If you mean Warriors by Erin Hunter...then yes! :D Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to use your advice!
@Winterwolf Thanks so much! I started to second chapter yesterday but lost inspiration. I'll post it here when it's done!

Also, anyone have cover ideas?

Back