Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't thinking along the lines of birth control for rabbits. If your concerned you might as well just get them spayed.

It's more because I know a lot of people feed QAL to their rabbits (entire plants, so I would assume their rabbits would be ingesting seeds as well) and I'm curious as to whether it may be a cause of infertility in producing does.

MaggieJ":14wseqad said:
Neither have I, Devon. Were you wondering about a possible application as bunny birth control for house rabbits? I personally would not chance it, since the seeds of Queen Anne's lace are considered toxic.

Sometimes the whole plant shows up on rabbit plant toxic lists (which is ridiculous when you consider that it is genetically the same as garden carrots) but the better lists mention what parts of plants are toxic, in this case the seeds. Toxic is not a very exact word used this way, but it is enough to make me cautious.

QAL has a very toxic look alike around here--hemlock. That could be why the toxic listing--some poor guy was pulling carrots to pickle last year and got a hemlock root mixed in by mistake and spent the night in the ER.

I would imagine the seed head would be easy to remove if you are concerned.

It's quite possible that the seeds could interfere with fertility. It is best to either collect the plants early in the season when they are in the pre-bloom or early bloom state or to snip off the seed heads if they have already formed. In this part of Ontario, Queen Anne's lace is just coming into bloom, so seed formation is not yet an issue.

With regard to the look-alike hemlock... I can't imagine anyone making that mistake unless very careless! Carrots - and QAL - smell like carrots. The odour is very familiar and recognizable whenever the stems are cut or broken. Apparently poison hemlock has a disagreeable mouselike odour.

It's a good caution to mention, since not everyone is up on their plant recognition... and yet another reason to stress that one must take the time to learn to identify wild plants intended for food for either humans or animals.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedgui ... asp?id=530

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedgui ... asp?id=550

I've been preparing them a over the counter food I mean a ready made but contains nutrient that they need,
I don't have much time to prepare them a natural food ..I think it would be okay I'll been raising about
year so I can't see anything wrong with my rabbits they grow better....

arvie":2ghwsl3d said:
I've been preparing them a over the counter food I mean a ready made but contains nutrient that they need,
I don't have much time to prepare them a natural food ..I think it would be okay I'll been raising about
year so I can't see anything wrong with my rabbits they grow better....

Arvie, there is nothing wrong with feeding your rabbits a commercial rabbit food, if that is your preference. Most people do just that, This forum is geared towards those who prefer, for various reasons, to feed their rabbits in a more natural way. It's not about "better", it's about choice.

Thanks, MaggieJ, for clarifying that it's only the seeds of wild carrot that are toxic. I couldn't figure out when I saw wild carrot on the most toxic list in House Rabbit [pg 61].

What I find with those "toxic" lists is that exclude a lot of safe and useful plants... or plants having only one toxic part. This is why I prefer "safe" lists. You can put qualifiers on plants with unsafe parts without scaring people off the whole plant.

To find the scientific name of a plant when you know a common name, try either Wikipedia or Davesgarden.com. The latter may also help you find a plant's name based on its characteristics. Enter the characteristics of your mystery plant & it will suggest plants to buy. Look at their pictures & see if you can find the right one. If that doesn't work, they have a plant identification forum.

__________ Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:47 pm __________

The previous posts got me interested in finding what kind of twigs I could give my rabbit. Various places have listed trees but not shrubs. I do some shrub pruning every year & the cuttings just get composted or burned. So I searched online & found that these shrubs were non-toxic [near certain anyway]: forsythia, philadelphus [mock orange] & spirea. Also rose & maclura pomifera [Osage orange], if you can handle the thorns.
I also found these websites useful: adoptarabbit.org/articles [one on toxic plants & another on good rabbit plants]
pesches.com/gardenrx.reference a list of plant toxicity [mainly for humans] & another list of rabbit-resistant plants [for what not to try, though it includes hosta in the list]

My garden is organic, no pesticides or chemical fertilizers, so keeping that in mind, has anyone had any experience feeding trimmings from annuals and perennials grown in the landscape garden? I would love to feed my cosmos, snapdragons, zinnias, lobelia, johny jump ups, hollyhocks, etc. to the animals. What about basil, dill, cilantro, thyme, oregano, lovage, tarragon, and other herbs? I've fed hollyhocks to the goats with no ill effects, but haven't tried giving it to the horses or buns.

What about bean plants and pea vines? Artichoke stems and dried heads? Other vegetable plants once their fruits have been harvested?

On the wild side, native forage that we have here would be oak, sagebrush, buckwheat, yucca (has anyone given the yucca flower stalks as chew toys?), filaree, spotted spurge, and fiddle-neck.

We compost everything anyway, but I like to use our livestock as a pre-digest cycle to speed up the process! Since we have so many classes of livestock, I would be grateful for any input regarding what you have safely fed to your animals.

Thanks, and happy foraging!

--A

You will need to be very careful before feeding these things to rabbits. Some are no doubt safe, but many others may not be. They need to be checked by botanical (Latin) name, one by one. Some herbs, safe as food, may contain unwanted medicinal properties. Sage, mint and lavender may cause pregnant does to abort or nursing does to lose their milk. So please be very careful. I'll try to help you sort through these, but I am not familiar with many of the plants since they do not grow this far north.

Thanks Maggie!

I know that certain herbs have medicinal side effects- but was unaware of sage and lavender causing abortion.

I was out picking tomatoes until about 10:30 last night- it was 37 degrees and had to get it done to save the harvest. I've got green to ripe- probably about 50lbs total! I know tomato plants and others in the nightshade family are poisonous (although escapee goats have munched them with no ill effects, and the chickens will sometimes eat the leaves as well), but can the buns eat tomatoes? I also have a bunch of zukes and summer squash- is that safe or only winter squash? Some of them are huge and at the least I'd like to scoop out the seeds for them. Also, since Halloween just passed I am thinking I might get a good price on leftover pumpkins, and am thinking of storing some of those for winter feed.

I'd like to recommend an excellent book to everybody- "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery has been an invaluable resource for me. It covers everything you need to know regarding animals and plants, from primitive non powered methods to modern methods. She has a list of foods found to be safe for rabbits, as well as ones to avoid. She lists filaree as safe, which is great because it is a high protein forage and horses and cattle love it and put on the pounds. I'd be happy to post the list, but don't want to be liable for copyright infringement... any idea of the law regarding that?

Annette

P.S. I have seen parrot toys with dried yucca flower stalks- I am very hopeful that they are safe for the buns because I would love to make and sell rabbit toys as a way to support my rabbithabit!

You really need to avoid feeding the leaves and stems of tomato, potato or eggplant. One of our members lost a rabbit that got into the potato plants by accident.

Ripe tomatoes are safe, as are zucchini and summer squashes. Pumpkins are good... all parts are safe and the seeds act as a natural wormer and are very nutritious.

If the book is still under copyright (and it likely is) then it is protected. Brief quotes from a book are usually not a problem, but a whole list... I think you would need permission. But you can certainly use what to learn from it, expressed in your own words, to help others. As in "According to Carla Emery in her book The Encyclopedia of Country Living, such and such is safe for rabbits."

Has anyone fed figs, fig leaves, or branches to their rabbits? I just pruned the fig tree behind my bunnybarn because it was invading my limited space, and the leaves look positively delicious... the grape vines are looking pretty tasty too. I assume grape is safe, since the leaves are used in some dishes for human consumption.

Searched fig toxicity and found this interesting info...

Food Uses

Some people peel the skin back from the stem end to expose the flesh for eating out of-hand. The more fastidious eater holds the fruit by the stem end, cuts the fruit into quarters from the apex, spreads the sections apart and lifts the flesh from the skin with a knife blade, discarding the stem and skin. Commercially, figs are peeled by immersion for 1 minute in boiling lye water or a boiling solution of sodium bicarbonate. In warm, humid climates, figs are generally eaten fresh and raw without peeling, and they are often served with cream and sugar. Peeled or unpeeled, the fruits may be merely stewed or cooked in various ways, as in pies, puddings, cakes, bread or other bakery products, or added to ice cream mix. Home owners preserve the whole fruits in sugar sirup or prepare them as jam, marmalade, or paste. Fig paste (with added wheat and corn flour, whey, sirup, oils and other ingredients) forms the filling for the well known bakery product, "Fig Newton". The fruits are sometimes candied whole commercially. In Europe; western Asia, northern Africa and California, commercial canning and drying of figs are industries of great importance.

Some drying is done in Poona, India, and there is currently interest in solar-drying in Guatemala. Usually, the fruits are allowed to fully ripen and partially dehydrate on the tree, then are exposed to sulphur fumes for about a half hour, placed out in the sun and turned daily to achieve uniform drying, and pressed flat during the 5- to 7-day process. 'Black Mission' and 'Kadota' figs are suitable for freezing whole in sirup, or sliced and layered with sugar.

Dried cull figs have been roasted and ground as a coffee substitute. In Mediterranean countries, low-grade figs are converted into alcohol. An alcoholic extract of dried figs has been used as a flavoring for liqueurs and tobacco.

Toxicity

The latex of the unripe fruits and of any part of the tree may be severely irritating to the skin if not removed promptly. It is an occupational hazard not only to fig harvesters and packers but also to workers in food industries, and to those who employ the latex to treat skin diseases.

Other Uses

Seed oil: Dried seeds contain 30% of a fixed oil containing the fatty acids: oleic, 18.99%; linoleic, 33.72%; linolenic, 32.95%; palmitic, 5.23%; stearic, 2.1 8%; arachidic, 1.05%. It is an edible oil and can be used as a lubricant.

Leaves: Fig leaves are used for fodder in India. They are plucked after the fruit harvest. Analyses show: moisture, 67.6%; protein, 4.3%; fat, 1.7%; crude fiber, 4.7%; ash, 5.3%; N-free extract, 16.4%; pentosans, 3.6%; carotene on a dry weight basis, 0.002%. Also present are bergaptene, stigmasterol, sitosterol, and tyrosine.

In southern France, there is some use of fig leaves as a source of perfume material called "fig-leaf absolute"—a dark-green to brownish-green, semi-solid mass or thick liquid of herbaceous-woody-mossy odor, employed in creating woodland scents.

Latex: The latex contains caoutchouc (2.4%), resin, albumin, cerin, sugar and malic acid, rennin, proteolytic enzymes, diastase, esterase, lipase, catalase, and peroxidase. It is collected at its peak of activity in early morning, dried and powdered for use in coagulating milk to make cheese and junket. From it can be isolated the protein-digesting enzyme ficin which is used for tenderizing meat, rendering fat, and clarifying beverages.

In tropical America, the latex is often used for washing dishes, pots and pans. It was an ingredient in some of the early commercial detergents for household use but was abandoned after many reports of irritated or inflamed hands in housewives.

Medicinal Uses: The latex is widely applied on warts, skin ulcers and sores, and taken as a purgative and vermifuge, but with considerable risk. In Latin America, figs are much employed as folk remedies. A decoction of the fruits is gargled to relieve sore throat; figs boiled in milk are repeatedly packed against swollen gums; the fruits are much used as poultices on tumors and other abnormal growths. The leaf decoction is taken as a remedy for diabetes and calcifications in the kidneys and liver. Fresh and dried figs have long been appreciated for their laxative action.

Food Value Per 100 g of Edible Portion*

Fresh Dried
Calories 80 274
Moisture 77.5-86.8g 23.0g
Protein 1.2-1.3g 4.3g
Fat 0.14-0.30g 1.3g
Carbohydrates 17.1-20.3g 69.1g
Fiber 1.2-2.2 g 5.6 g
Ash 0.48 0.85 g 2.3 g
Calcium 35-78.2 mg 126 mg
Phosphorus 22-32.9 mg 77 mg
Iron 0.6-4.09 mg 3.0 mg
Sodium 2.0 mg 34 mg
Potassium 194 mg 640 mg
Carotene 0.013-0.195 mg —
as Vitamin A 20-270 I.U. 80 I.U.
Thiamine 0.034-0.06 mg 0.10 mg
Riboflavin 0.053-0.079 mg 0.10 mg
Niacin 0.32-0.412 mg 0.7 mg
Ascorbic Acid 12.2-17.6 mg 0 mg
Citric Acid 0.10-0.44 mg

Note: There are small amounts of malic, boric and oxalic acids.

You really need the botanical name of the kind of fig you have to do a proper search, but the latex sounds as though it would rule the leaves and twigs out as bunny food.

Grape vines and leaves are safe but I find the rabbits will only eat the young, tender ones. Once they lose that bronze sheen they turn up their twitchy little noses and say EWWWWWW.

Thanks Maggie- I was thinking much the same re: latex. I should know better than to use the common name, and not only because you mentioned that before! <sheepish grin> Latin, Latin, LATIN!

I found a yummy looking weed while I was scavengeing around today, But i'm not sure what it is! Does anyone know what it is, and if it's safe for bunnys?

The whole plant
jj4j8w.jpg

osetjl.jpg

The flower
2w7l5ah.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Jana15":3azpyh0b said:
I found a yummy looking weed while I was scavengeing around today, But i'm not sure what it is! Does anyone know what it is, and if it's safe for bunnys?

The whole plant
jj4j8w.jpg

osetjl.jpg

The flower
2w7l5ah.jpg

Thanks in advance :)
The leaf and flower shape look like chicory but the yellow color throws me off. Chicory flowers are normally blue.

Latest posts

Back