Questionable Spots on Liver

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Broodcoop,

I think part of the misunderstanding here is that pharmaceutical meds are rarely suggested here on RT, so your reaction seemed a bit strong. The goal for the majority here is to raise meat free of drugs, and most of us try to treat herbally or simply cull affected animals.

However, when breeders have lost significant numbers of animals to something that becomes epidemic in their rabbitries, they may be more proactive in the usage of medications if they see the same symptoms appear at a later date or in another herd.

The same goes for culling at the first sign of snot. Some will have cultures done to determine the cause (Pasteurella, Bordetella, etc.) and treat if it is something other than Pasteurella. My protocol is to cull any animal with snot- I don't want animals susceptible to any respiratory illness, whether it is possible to treat it or not.

Unless you have experienced the devastation of an enormous loss of animals it can be hard to understand such an approach.

BroodCoop":1bg73uja said:
What did I say that was hyperbolic? Exactly?
Unless you actually mean all these statements literally...

You are going to poison all of your rabbits based on this?

Poison the rabbits, condemn and kill the chickens, and dance under a full moon.

Dance under a full moon and celebrate more new cages with wood under the floor to trap the droppings.

Please discuss your "factual evidence" with trained professionals before you post it as accepted fact.

Buy your poisoned meat at the corporate supermarket.

If your ego and emotions are the subject here then another professional should be consulted for those issues. Please leave that aside.

Speculation based on anecdotes is not factual information.
(okay, that one's not hyperbolic, just a complete mischaracterization.)

A veterinarian would NEVER make a diagnosis based on those pictures ... but someone on the internet did.

Was that abrasive?
(not hyperbolic, but provocative.)

From http://grammar.about.com/od/fh/g/hyperboleterm.htm :

Hyperbole

Definition:

A figure of speech (a form of irony) in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect; an extravagant statement. Adjective: hyperbolic. Contrast with understatement.

Etymology:
From the Greek, "excess"

Unless you actually mean that medication is necessarily poison, that medicating the rabbits will kill chickens, that dancing under a full moon is helpful, that professionals are the only ones who can determine what is and is not a fact, and that Ladysown may be an emotionally unstable egomaniac, then I think "hyperbolic" fits.

How might you be able to express basically what you wanted to say in a way that is acceptable here?

Maybe something like this:

"Are you sure that you need to medicate your whole herd? I believe that most if not all rabbits carry coccidia anyway. Perhaps you should consult a veterinarian for confirmation that it is coccidiosis first, as I don't think the pictures are enough to determine that that's what it is. Drug resistance is epidemic, and medicating unnecessarily or with the incorrect medication just contributes to this problem."

Does that basically sum up what you've been saying?

If you choose to participate in a thread that strikes you as progressing irrationally, that's fine. Just please do so in a manner that is in keeping with this forum.

This conversation is like a organic gardner vs. a synthetic gardener. I understand both sides of the dispute (if there is one :roll: ) both "may" fix the problem BUT I think it is personal choice. I use a bat to kill rabbits, and don't hang them I see no reason too, yet others choose other methods...their choice! Thank goodness we have choices in life...you have both made yours lets move on. :D

Bowbuild

Probably all rabbits and certainly almost all rabbits carry coccidia. The notion that it can spread like wildfire is a fallacy. How can it spread to rabbits that already have it?
Coccidia can and does spread like wildfire.

Coccidia is a very opportunistic parasite. It lies and waits for any stress (such as weaning, new home, travel, overcrowding, extreme temps) or illness in it's host. Coccidia then blooms/multiples rapidly shedding occytes/eggs in the host's feces. Coccidia affects most young mammals (rabbit/puppy/kitten/goats/calves)they can quickly go downhill with a coccidia bloom, dehydrate and die without treatment.

BroodCoop":1rqq0jq1 said:
Fear, superstition, ignorance and pharmaceuticals are a bad mix.
I have to wonder exactly what you are saying here.

What Cathyd said about coccidia is not fear, superstition, ignorance, or pharmaceuticals.

It elaborates on how rabbits can carry coccidia, but be disease-free, until something stresses them. Then the coccidia seize the opportunity to rapidly multiply and cause disease in the host. The feces, full of oocytes, can then cause infection in other healthy rabbits. Perhaps in a run they share. Or the infected rabbit doesn't clean itself well, climbs over its littermates, who then groom themselves and ingest an infectious load.

Voila, coccidia spreading.

I am locking this thread for now. At least until morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back