Quaker Oats? How much is safe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtower

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with a variety of "treats" for my Florida White rabbits. I provide high-quality timothy hay at all times, timothy pellets for the senior buck and alfalfa pellets for the junior doe and bred does. I also add Duramycin to their water (1 tsp/gallon) one day a week. (Read about this in Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits.)

In the evening I've been giving one Carrot Slim, Alfalfa Slim or Corn Slim as a treat and because I think it will help keep their teeth healthier.

Each time I feed I've been placing just a pinch of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats on top of their pellets in the feeder. They all LOVE those oats. As soon as I drop them in each rabbit immediately puts its front paws on top of the edge of the feeder and digs in. They don't even look up until all the oats are gone.

But I don't want to overdo! Not sure how much is safe.

What are the benefits and risks of feeding Old Fashioned Oats? Is it okay to provide a few at each feeding?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Rolled Oats are GREAT for Rabbits!
e an excellent first feed for Kits. Oats will put on Flesh, NOT fat!
Many breeders have known for a long time that Rolled oats will
help to fill out a Rabbit and add it as atop dressing to the Feed!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Extremely safe. Whole oats can be feed as an only feed for growouts with the addition of something to provide vitamin A. It is higher in fat than pellets so if your feeding to a buck or nonbreeding doe watch their weight.

Good info! I have a doe that was too big when I got her, but now is on the thin side since she has kindled and is feeding 5 kits - not sure the BOSS I have is any good anymore so I was trying to decide what else to supplement with that I have on hand. Oats it is!

Rolled Oats are GREAT for Rabbits!
e an excellent first feed for Kits. Oats will put on Flesh, NOT fat!

Extremely safe. Whole oats can be feed as an only feed for growouts with the addition of something to provide vitamin A.

All great information. Especially since I'm growing meat rabbits for our own use!

Will be fun to see how the kits from my two new litters (hopefully... Due in 5 days!) take to them as they begin to try solid foods.

It's the only thing all four of my rabbits will eat right out of my hand. Think I'll continue to use it as a "limited" treat for all my rabbits.

Thanks for the info!

Oats are my go to food when I have an animal that needs a bit of flesh, weaning transition for kits or for some reason is sick and goes off feed.

Latest posts

Back