Pure Alfalfa Pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PulpFaction":202z8vw9 said:
Returning to this, I've been feeding alfalfa pellets. The rabbits weren't impressed. I think a lot of it has to do with the large diameter the pellets came in, but if I held off on their next feeding until they finished it, they seemed to get used to it pretty quickly and I think they're getting better nutrition from them than the alfalfa hay. I'm not sure why that is, but the pellets vs. hay is the only thing that's changed and their condition has improved a lot. Go figure. I'm very surprised to say it, but I like the pellets.

That is because: Pelleted rabbit feed is a complete and nutritionally balanced diet.
All your rabbit may require is a handful or two of grass-hay two or three times per week.
I feed hay in a hay-rack, never tossed on the cage floor. Water grass-hay and a good quality
pelleted rabbit feed is all any rabbit requires for a nutritionally balanced diet.
Any extra treats you add may offset that balance. Treats should be used sparingly
as rabbits have a sweet-tooth so too many treats may lead to problems down the line.
I'm GUILTY! As i add Sweet-feed, BOSS and rolled oats to my 18% pelleted feed.
I just eyeball the additives and have had no problems thus far.
If your feed is working, I suggest that you stay as you are.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Uh, Ottersatin, just a word of explanation in case you missed the beginning of this thread. What we have been discussing here are PURE alfalfa pellets as an alternative to alfalfa hay... not a "complete" pelleted rabbit feed. Sometimes it is difficult to find good quality alfalfa hay when you need it and we've been looking at PURE alfalfa pellets as a possible alternative, along with grass hay, grains and greens.

Thanks for the timely update, Rachel. Our good alfalfa hay has pretty much run out and I'm having trouble locating more at this time of year. Still have grass hay, but it doesn't have enough protein. Might have to give the alfalfa pellets or cubes a try to get the buns through until the greens start.

OOOPS,
Sorry, I guess if my post is out of place and has no meaning
you can just delete it or place it where it might fit.
I still believe the information I posted is accurate and correct.

Sorry about that,
I just never heard of: Pure Alfalfa Pellets.
I suppose that's because I am a Pelleted rabbit feed user from
the very beginning to now! I don't know if I will start feeding
a grain mix in the future but one never knows, what with prices of
everything jumping .25 .30 or more steps up with every purchase
you make on any given day. I just would require too many feed barrels
to accommodate such a system. Like I said, you never know what tomorrow may bring.
One of the reasons I find this forum so enlightening.

I have a suggestion about WHY it may be that the pelleted alfalfa may be putting more condition on the rabbits--I think that the process of pelleting it means that all the little leaves stay with the pellets, but when I have fed alfalfa hay in the past they end up on the floor under the cages.

If you were feeding hay in a colony setting it would all get eaten, but if you have wire floors, the rabbits get a disproportionate amount of stems...I keep toying with the idea of making a giant j-feeder shaped hay rack that would catch the leaves before they are lost...But I don't feed alfalfa very often since it is costly here, where it must be shipped in.

eco2pia":2tijeul8 said:
I have a suggestion about WHY it may be that the pelleted alfalfa may be putting more condition on the rabbits--I think that the process of pelleting it means that all the little leaves stay with the pellets, but when I have fed alfalfa hay in the past they end up on the floor under the cages.

If you were feeding hay in a colony setting it would all get eaten, but if you have wire floors, the rabbits get a disproportionate amount of stems...I keep toying with the idea of making a giant j-feeder shaped hay rack that would catch the leaves before they are lost...But I don't feed alfalfa very often since it is costly here, where it must be shipped in.

I think you're right on. The colony rabbits that were eating the alfalfa hay had much better condition. I have struggled to find a similarly effective way to get the good stuff to the caged rabbits. The best I found was to shake each flake well before I put it into the cage, and then add the leaves to the cage cup with grains. This wasn't very reliable or consistent, though.

Maggie- try the cubes--depending on the number of rabbits, if they dont like them hard and dry, soak a couple-- Also, Lucerne farms makes a'forage feed' product i like- it is hay, chopped up, sold in bales like sawdust and peat.. I get a timothy Alfalfa blend- there is a plain timothy, see if there is plain alfalfa--

Latest posts

Back