Punnett Squares

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to do the punnet squares for my for little ones. Amazing from a Tort and Broken, the babies all came out solid. White and Chocolate. Thought the chocolate babies would be shaded, but have turned a solid coloring when fully furred.

Karen

Thank you for the replies on these Punnett Squares. I read a bunch of websites that say newbies should do the punnett squares and fill them in to get the correct genotype for any unknown breeding pairs. Jill and John are my only breeding pair at the moment. The 3 pedigree prego does (Starlight had 4 babies and they died the 2 others CupCake and Splash no prego) I didn't breed them yet and Jean I think isn't even a female now that she's getting older (I'll have to post a picture of he/she on here - maybe someone can tell me for sure). :x Jack is Opal and Jean is Frosty Point/Ermine(?) (charlie) with unknown parents. Jack and Jean were my second breeding pair, but like I said, I think Jean is a buck too.

So, Jill and John are my only breeding pair I'm working with right now. Although I did think about breeding all 3 pedigree does (black, castor and broken tort) to Jack just to see what he produces with those colors. (like a test run) Help me fill in his punnett square of unknowns. I can always freezer camp those. :eek:

Because John, Jill, Jack and Jean all have unknown genotypes, I wanted to do the punnett squares to figure them all out. Like a project. Starting with John and Jill.

So what do I have to breed John to fill in all his unknowns on the punnett square, anyone know ? John is my favorite of all 7 of my rabbits, he's like King here so I would at least like to decode his whole genotype, if possible.

Thanks Devon's Mom Lauren for your info, I was in hopes someone would mention filling in John or Jill's unknowns. :)

In order to fill in the gaps, you will need to do quite a bit of breeding. With John being an otter, you would need to breed him to a chocolate, something dilute, something REW or with REW to see what else is on the B_C_D_ locus.
I have had this grouping for a year, several litters from each, and still I cannot fill out the complete list of unknowns, even with pedigrees. I fill out what I can with successive breedings. I had a castor that produced a chocolate with the previous breeder, but with four successive breedings, even being bred back to her son, I never got a chocolate. That certainly tells me the others don't carry chocolate, but didn't prove she did.

Back