Punnett Squares

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKirst

Reaction score
I decided to try the punnett squares for John and Jill to see what comes up in their babies.

I'm still not understanding it right I believe. So if John is at-B-C-D-E- and Jill is aaB-C-D-ee on the punnett square are the babies -a (because not otter (?)) BB CC DD Ee or would it be -e ?

I seen on a website black rabbits are aa-B-C-D-E- ... so what would Jill and John's babies be ?

Here is John and Jill's punnett square .. am I doing this right ? Thanks in advance. :oops:

punnett.JPG

Lets see if I can help.

They are ata so they are agouti not self.
They are BB so Black no chocolate.
They are CC so full color, not chinchilla.
They are DD so full strength of color. So no dilute.
They are Ee so full extension of color.

So black agouti. :)<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 pm __________<br /><br />This website will help you read your punnitt square once you put it on paper. Hope it helps.
http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/colorgenes.php

Small "a" denotes self not agouti.. Are you talking about the rabbits in your avatar or others, because you have Jill as tort and John as an Otter. John's "a" locci are known because he is an otter so he carries TWO small "a"s; at least one will have the attached "t" maybe both, but not likely if one of his parents was a self and not otter.The brown rabbit in your avatar looks to be agouti so she has a capital "A" not 2 small "a"s.Her second loci may be unknown if you also don't know what her parents are.Also, the rabbit in the avatar is agouti,you have it as non extension which would be a red rabbit, not chestnut. However; going by what you have written on the square you will get dense(black based)selfs and otters.You will also get torts and most likely Tort-otters, because that is how Jill is written. There are however many unknowns there such as whether there is dilute in the D loci,whether John has two non-extension or only one in the E loci. This is why its better to list at least the parents of the two that are being bred in order to get a better picture of what may crop up in a litter! The punnet square is set up correctly and all but I for some reason thought you may be talking about the rabbits in your avatar, if thats not the case then I apologize for all the extra info!! :)

See I am way off. lol Oh well I tried.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm __________<br /><br />I just realized where I went wrong. ata tan gene.... AKA Otter!!!

Devon's Mom Lauren":2mdelpho said:
Small "a" denotes self not agouti.. Are you talking about the rabbits in your avatar or others, because you have Jill as tort and John as an Otter. John's "a" locci are known because he is an otter so he carries TWO small "a"s; at least one will have the attached "t" maybe both, but not likely if one of his parents was a self and not otter.The brown rabbit in your avatar looks to be agouti so she has a capital "A" not 2 small "a"s.Her second loci may be unknown if you also don't know what her parents are.Also, the rabbit in the avatar is agouti,you have it as non extension which would be a red rabbit, not chestnut. However; going by what you have written on the square you will get dense(black based)selfs and otters.You will also get torts and most likely Tort-otters, because that is how Jill is written. There are however many unknowns there such as whether there is dilute in the D loci,whether John has two non-extension or only one in the E loci. This is why its better to list at least the parents of the two that are being bred in order to get a better picture of what may crop up in a litter! The punnet square is set up correctly and all but I for some reason thought you may be talking about the rabbits in your avatar, if thats not the case then I apologize for all the extra info!! :)

This here is a picture of John and Jill (minus Jean the Charlie) I'm assuming John is a Black Otter at-B-C-D-E- rexrex and Jill is a Black Tort aaB-C-D-ee non rex. Both parents are unknown. I'm starting from scratch a 4 generation pedigree. I'd like to eventually get (from John and Jill's babies and then their babies and then their babies etc.) to only give me solid black rex fur with genotype to match (4 generations starting with John and Jill's 2nd or 3rd generation). If that's possible. Still learning here.

IMG_20120909_091459-1.jpg

I need to change my avatar alot of people think that's Jill I noticed. It's not, that's Jane. lol I don't have Jane anymore.

So then John carries two small "a" with at least one being "at" ? Ok, I changed the punnett square. Is this right now considering the parents of John and Jill are unknown ? So then the babies are black self and not black agouti ?

punnett2.JPG

Would the babies be ataBBCCDDEe ? ;) or aaBBCCDDEe ?

Thanks for helping me with this. :p

Black otter and You will also get torts and most likely Tort-otters, as was stated by Devon's mom Lauren.
There is no Agouti. I mixed up agouti and otter. I don't believe you will get self because Otter is dominate over self and so is tort. IF I am correct that is. I am still learning and haven't looked at genetics lately. lol I am a little uncertain how the tort works.

tm_bunnyloft":3v09eeqd said:
Black otter and You will also get torts and most likely Tort-otters, as was stated by Devon's mom Lauren.
There is no Agouti. I mixed up agouti and otter. I don't believe you will get self because Otter is dominate over self and so is tort. IF I am correct that is. I am still learning and haven't looked at genetics lately. lol I am a little uncertain how the tort works.

if you have ata and aa, you can get aa and that is a self, aaB_C_D_ is black. a is the self gene, tort is black non extension, and all of my otters are heterozygous for black, so I get black kits from otter breedings all of the time. You may not even get any torts the first time around, there is always the possibility that the otter only has EE, or will give the E, so no tort kits.

Oh well, I guess its back to genetics class for me. lol

By the way, MKirst don't listen to me. I'm just learning the genetics myself and thought if fun to see if I could figure it out. Guess not. lol

tm_bunnyloft":11aqpszi said:
Oh well, I guess its back to genetics class for me. lol

By the way, MKirst don't listen to me. I'm just learning the genetics myself and thought if fun to see if I could figure it out. Guess not. lol

Pretty close. I was a pysch major, biopsych, so this is right up my alley, unless you start talking about steel genes.

Ok thanks, so then John and Jill's babies are aaB-C-D-E- like all solid black rabbits ? This is so confusing, why would anyone go to the trouble of a punnett square if all solid black rabbits are aaB-C-D-E- ? :?

Dont forget you can get ata which is otter.<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:27 pm __________<br /><br />And since you don't know what there backgrounds carry there could be some surprises in there too. :)

Maybe I should just ask this ... what do I put on the 4 babies pedigree records going by the punnett square of Jill and John what is known ? Jill and John's 4 babies are solid black. I'll make a new thread and post updates pictures.

On the pedigree you will list their name, color, tattoo, date of birth, and the following that apply: legs, grand champion number, registration number, and anything else you want to add. The parents need name, tattoo, color, sr weight, legs if any, reg # if applicable, and grand champ # if applicable.

You do not need to do a Punnitt square for your pedigree. If they are self black then list them as black. :)

Ya, I did the punnett square for my learning records to help me with my 4 generation breeding program as I go along. More like a visual learning. Although I did add a spot on the pedigree records for genotype. Hence my question.

I'll just put on the 4 babies pedigree records going by the punnett square of Jill and John what I think. Honest guess at best. ;)

Thanks for the help.

Ah I see. I am just learning to. I had a pretty good handle on it and then haven't done any genetics for a while and need to refresh on it I see. Good luck learning it. It is pretty cool stuff. :)

MKirst":2v0eompa said:
Ya, I did the punnett square for my learning records to help me with my 4 generation breeding program as I go along. More like a visual learning. Although I did add a spot on the pedigree records for genotype. Hence my question.

I'll just put on the 4 babies pedigree records going by the punnett square of Jill and John what I think. Honest guess at best. ;)

Thanks for the help.

if all 4 are black, then all you can put is aaB_C_D_E_, you only have genotype for their visible phenotype.

Next time around, you could get otter, REW or tort. You never know. I had a castor, when paired with a broken black twice, only gave me black and broken black. Go figure.

One thing you will know about the genotype is that they WILL be all carrying non extension... so Ee. However if you do happen to get torts then you can add in "e" on the otter's genotype! Same with if any dilutes show up then you can go back and add one dilute d to each of the parents.:)

Back