Price?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
I (finally) found an angora rabbit breeder within a few miles of me. She wants about $80 for a weaned kit. Pedigreed English Angora. This seems like a high price... I know it depends on location as well, but what are regular prices like for a pedigreed weaned English Angora?

Folks seem to charge whatever the
purchaser will allow. Though it does seem quite high
it may not really be. Many charge exorbitant prices
according the the lineage of the pedigree.
This being known: I believe that you are purchasing the Rabbit,
not the pedigree. Have someone experienced with/in the breed go with you
if at all possible. If the rabbit fits your needs/requirements
it may well be worth the price. DO NOT purchase anything
that you feel is not worthy of the price being charged.
Only you can be the judge of that.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Is this for a show animal? I mean..are you looking to show? Is the kits parent (at least one of them) being shown and doing well? Any Grand Champions or at least legs?

There are some breeders who charge upwards of $200 or $300 for a Senior, and $100 or more for a junior. (personally, I think it's nuts). I also know some who charge $25 for a kit from good parents. :shrug:

If this is the only breeder around with any kind of record, then $80 probably isn't that steep. I don't know how many breeders you have there. If she's only a few miles from you, AND you like the kit (and it's free from DQs)...it might be worth the money. Only you know how much you want the kit.

She uses them for wool, so she breeds for good wool quality...I want them for wool too, so i think she would have what i want...but bringing someone else who knows more than me is a good idea. Thanks.

It sounds like a fair price for an animal that will provide you with many years of a valuable renewable resource.

Angoras take a lot of time and care to produce. If the animals are efficient producers of good quality wool, $80 might even be a bargain.

I agree that if they are nice animals that $80 is probably a fair price, depending on what you are looking for. I used to raise English and there is easily 10X the care required to raise one English Angora vs. any of the other breeds I have worked with. Additionally, breeding stock costs a lot more typically to begin with (at least in my region). They are a wonderful breed and nice wool is dreamy, but I have to repeat what everyone else has already said: only you can be the judge on whether the bunny and the price will work for you. :)

Best of luck,

Lauren

I have 2 English Angoras and I paid $100 each for them. $80 is a good price. I know when I have English Angora babies my prices will also start at $100 unless there is an DQ then it will be a little cheeper.

I just found someone near Hamilton Ontario that is charging $150-$175 for show quality stock...makes $80 look a lot better :)

80$ is cheap. You don't find them here for less than 100. More often than not 125-150$. I have an EA buck I bought with one testicle, and I was hard pressed to walk away with him for $40.

Heck, I don't sell my tans for less than $100 each under most circumstances. If you like the rabbit, buy it.

Back