Pretty color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
But I have no idea what to call it! They are NZ/Champagne mixes. The sire is a NZ/Champagne mix. The dam is NZW.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 1,153
Agouti, red (?), and is that a blue-eyed white? Where in the world did he get blue eyes?

I'll have to go back out and check. I never noticed. But since REWs can't really get "red eye" with photos, it's probably blue eye.

__________ Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:08 pm __________

The agouti was the color I didn't know.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:51 am __________<br /><br />Yes, there are two blue eyed whites in that litter. Both the sire and dam have brown eyes but I don't have pedigrees for them. These are meat mutts so it's not a big deal to me one way or the other.

This is a Question! Blue eyes are attached to the Vienna gene, only?

The agouti's are chestnut. The pretty fawn one is non extension agouti, and both parents have to carry one vienna gene each to make a BEW. Non-extension most likely came out of the NZ side. BUT the vienna gene is weird... wonder if they are descended from Beverens?

Wow, all I knew about genetics was from a kid's book I had 40 years ago that explained recessive genes via cat-fur colors. I recall spending a week trying to figure out how likely it was to get a black kitten from white parents, LOL (answer, not very)! Oh and my dad getting a little cranky because he expected all my kids to look like "us" (all dark-haired and all but one brown eyed) because the dark features are "dominant"; I had 3 kids, all with blue/green/grey eyes and blonde hair! It's cool to me how nature does what it does, and we keep trying to figure out how. And now I am getting an itch to see if any of my mutt bunnies will produce BEW's, as my first babies produced one of the REW's from dark eyed parents. I don't really like the red eyes, though the bunny is very cute otherwise, guess I watched too many horror and SF films in my youth :p

The two agoutis are called Chestnut, the other could be referred to as a variety of different names, depending on the breed. In Palominos, its Golden, in Flemish Giants, its Fawn...but I'd call it Golden.

Definitely a pretty color. It's amazing as I learn, that the same color is called something different in other breeds. I like the term Golden.

The others look really good too! Congratulations on your meat mutts.

Karen

There are also two greys in that litter that look like the mother, who I think is Am Chin.

You could probably get top dollar for your blew eyed white. People seem to have a problem with red eyes for some reason :lol:

Pretty litter, love that golden color!

GBov":2puowswm said:
You could probably get top dollar for your blew eyed white. People seem to have a problem with red eyes for some reason :lol:

That's what I was thinking! You might consider advertising those.

I really had to talk myself into Californians and NZW -- I wanted more meat but I don't want to look at those red eyes!

-Wendy

I had 2 little mini rex does that color, a judge called them fawn, not a recognized color in that breed. They look like pale reds.
81ac4a12.jpg

Here are the two greys and the other fawn/golden

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,050
I love them too. We kept one of the Chin mix does from the first litter and just bred her yesterday. I want to keep one from each litter because the dam is such a good mom.

GBov":3op7bzqk said:
People seem to have a problem with red eyes for some reason :lol:

I have this amusing potential buyer who *loves* red eyes, but wants some body color too. In fact, she keeps looking at my broken kits (whose eyes are just opening), hoping they'll have red eyes. I told her I'm pretty sure they don't come in that color :lol:

Love chins too. My chin doe has yet to produce a useful kit in the two litters she's had :(

I have an aversion to REW's, I usually cull them. I have only kept one because she's an otter underneath.

Latest posts

Back