Pressure cooked rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
I don't think there is a recipe out there that can go wrong if you pressure cook the rabbit. I really think you could put the rabbit + whatever else you wanted to cook in the pressure cooker, let it do it's thing and then have the best meal ever in 10 minutes.I've tried skimping on all the other stuff in a recipe and just putting the bare minimum in with the rabbit just to see if it would come out tasting good and it never fails. There, sitting in my pressure cooker is edible gold.

Oh, right, this is the recipe section. Here is a recipe then.

1 rabbit
1 pressure cooker
anything else, (bacon, sausage, carrots, potatoes, green beans, peas) really anything else

Good luck and experiment.

It only takes 10 minutes? :shock: Who knew?

We don't use a microwave, so cooking takes a while here at Chez MSD.

Do you add any liquid?<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 am __________<br /><br />Whole rabbit, quartered, deboned?

Oh yeah, sorry, I did forget you do HAVE to add liquid and it can't just be oil. That liquid can be anything though. I've done it with just 2 cups of water. You can do it with beer, wine, water, BBQ and you don't need much at all since you also have the liquid from whatever else you put in there.

I personally like red wine, a bit of water and some vinegar or just vinegar, a small bit of water and bbq sauce.

As for whether the rabbit needs to be whole, quartered or deboned - I have tried all but the deboned.

Whole and quartered both work out the same. After 10 minutes the rabbit is so tender and soft and juicy that I just scrape it apart with two forks working in different directions. I take the bones out with a pair of tongs and continue or if I don't feel like removing the bones I just tell people to be prepared. I would very much like to try deboned as you wouldn't have to remove it from the bone but it really all comes out the same since the rabbit is so tender by the time its done. It doesn't even matter if it is a fryer or an old mean doe that you wanted to kill for months but couldn't because you were trying to give her a chance. Mmmmmmmm.

We had rabbit yesterday and guess what I'm going to cook today. RABBIT!!! Although I should probably take it easy on the rabbit since I don't have any litters do in the foreseeable future :( Rabbit rations.<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 pm __________<br /><br />Sorry, I also forgot. Yesterday I made a bit of gravy on the side as the rabbit was being cooked and, after the rabbit was done, I stirred the gravy in with it. Tasted delicious too!

Bone in meat tastes better, so unless you are doing a fancy rolled loaf like that guy with the deboning video makes, I would stick with bone in. Plus, it is so easy to remove the meat from a cooked rabbit.

Great idea! My Mother-in-Law bought me an electric pressure cooker for Christmas some years ago. I'll have to dust it off and give this a try. It should be tender as all-get-out.

I want my wife to really love rabbit the first time she tastes it. This might just do the trick. She just gave me the go ahead to raise meat rabbits 2 weeks ago and I want her to be as hooked on it as I am. :)

TMTex":1kq387ee said:
Great idea! My Mother-in-Law bought me an electric pressure cooker for Christmas some years ago. I'll have to dust it off and give this a try. It should be tender as all-get-out.

I want my wife to really love rabbit the first time she tastes it. This might just do the trick. She just gave me the go ahead to raise meat rabbits 2 weeks ago and I want her to be as hooked on it as I am. :)

I guarrentee this WILL probablydo the trick. I really wish that I had done this for my wifes first rabbit meal but instead I opted for frying which is much more difficult imho.

MamaSheepdog":1kq387ee said:
Bone in meat tastes better, so unless you are doing a fancy rolled loaf like that guy with the deboning video makes, I would stick with bone in. Plus, it is so easy to remove the meat from a cooked rabbit.

The only time that I have completely deboned the rabbit after pressure cooking, (normally I get too lazy and quit half way through,) is when I made rabbit pie and that was because the pie didn't need bones sticking out of it lol. :sick:

TMTex":397ncu3o said:

Pressure cooker or Crock Pot for sure...I suggest this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maltese-rabbit-stew/

Sure fire winner!

I tried that one OAF and to be honest....it was delicious. If you want to impress your wife and get her to love rabbit that one is good.

Mmm, apple juice does sound like it would taste very nice. How much do you put in with the rabbit and what does the taste come out as? More sweet and clean?

Pressure cooker? 10 minutes????

I've pressure-cooked other meats... why haven't I thought of doing it with rabbit? :p

I have GOT to try this!

I am about to make my first attempt at pressure cooked rabbit. I promised to bring rabbit enchiladas to a potluck we are having this week, so figured I may as well make a few trays and freeze them so we have some premade dinners for when we are feeling lazy. ;)

So... I am planning on putting two or three fryers in there- two of them weigh 5lbs exactly (together) and the other is 2lbs 6oz. Do I need to cook them for more than 10 minutes? Should I add enough liquid to cover them or just a couple of inches worth?

With the pressure cooker I was using I just needed to put in about 1 1/2" - 2" of water (or whatever you are wanting to cook it with) and just left it in for about 15 min. The 15 minutes started AFTER the button had popped or if you have a jiggly top then the 15 min start after the top starts to jiggle. Also just wanted to mention that it's not going to hurt if you keep it in longer. Just means the bones are going to be soft enough to chew.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

Well, I'm not sure exactly how long I actually cooked it... I had the flame pretty high until the weight started to rock, then reduced the heat, walked away for a couple of minutes, and upon my return the thing had stopped rocking. Repeat scenario another time or two... :oops:

No matter, though. It got cooked and came off the bone easily. :)

I added the bones back to the broth and pressure cooked that at 15lbs for about 6 minutes. I'm just going to use the broth for my Spanish rice, so the time didn't really matter- I just wanted the added flavor of the bones.

Enchilada assembly will commence tomorrow. :D

Well, we didn't get to the enchiladas today, as Hubs was home sick... but I promise I will take pics of the process and post in the recipe thread. :) It is ridiculously easy, though, so I doubt all of that is necessary... but torturing y'all with pics will make it all worthwhile, I'm sure. :twisted:

The broth turned out a rich, dark amber color. I added about half to the beans I am making, and will add the remainder to the Spanish rice. Rabbit broth makes everything taste so-o-o much better, but this is the first time I have used it for the beans. I'll let you know how they turn out. :)

Enchiladas are not a common sight in BFN Canada. I have no idea what's involved, you could tell me I need to hop on one foot through the entire process and I'd probably believe you.

Uh oh, I just reread what I wrote. I see some serious chain yanking in my future *sigh*

Hi all, I am new to the rabbit raising and cooking. I would really like a good rabbit and dumpling recipe for my electric pressure cooker. Any ideas, should I just find a chicken one and adjust? Thanks!

Back