Pregnancy tests

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems how much of US medicine was built in a lab and tried on rabbits first (medirabbit), do you think the logic would stand that a person could use a dollar store pregnancy test on rabbit urine to prove pregnancy??

Just a thought, because for those of us that suck at palpitating and don't want to wait a month to see if was a false pregnancy or not, this would rock.

Very interesting... perhaps you and some other breeders on here could get together and do a study. Each buying some tests, testing does that are not bred, does that are, and a buck or two. You could even test bred does at different points... see how many days it takes before it registers, if it registers.

:)

I've got a few does that only pee over a certain area of their pans. I'd place a cup there, keep an eye for when they pee, and when they do hurry up, and stick the stick in. Haha, I remember when you called me, and we were talking about this. I have to go to town this weekend. I may just pick up a few $1 pee sticks, and try it out on my pregnant does! :lol:

A few people here tried it on sheep/goats and dogs, it doesn`t work and they got all kinds of false results. Itis because of the difference in hormon levels in women and animals.

karenl":1aus51t8 said:
How do you get a rabbit to pee on a stick? :)
Get cleaned up. Put on your very best clothes and pin the stick to your shirt. Now... stand in front of the cage. Guaranteed to work.
Oh, and it helps to pretend that you're late for an appointment and don't have time to change. ;)

As long as the surface the pee went onto is relatively clean you can collect with a dropper or something to apply to the stick. Ovulation and pregnancy tests can be bought incredibly cheap in bulk off amazon. Cents per stick. It might have higher odds of working on a rabbit than animals that have a heat cycle but I don't know exactly. I'd lean more towards guessing it's too inaccurate.

That would be so cool if it works! I can't test because I only breed rabbits one at a time every few months, so not enough to compare, but I would be really curious as to the results!

Zass":13ot9ctd said:
I'll give it a go. :)

Please let us know how it works!!!! :popcorn: :bunnyhop:

karebru":1j7tt976 said:
karenl":1j7tt976 said:
How do you get a rabbit to pee on a stick? :)
Get cleaned up. Put on your very best clothes and pin the stick to your shirt. Now... stand in front of the cage. Guaranteed to work.
Oh, and it helps to pretend that you're late for an appointment and don't have time to change. ;)

Bahahahahahaaaaaaaaa! :lol:

Miss M":17dcd1wp said:
Very interesting... perhaps you and some other breeders on here could get together and do a study. Each buying some tests, testing does that are not bred, does that are, and a buck or two. You could even test bred does at different points... see how many days it takes before it registers, if it registers.

:)
I would be totally down to start something like that! It would be interesting to test out different brands of test and see if any actually work. I mean if you wait about a week or two I'd say it would work if it's the same hormone..

Interesting question. After quickly reading up on this my guesses are:

It probably won't work. Even if hormone levels are similar I expect the antibodies used in the test will be too specific to detect non-human hormones. In this case the control part of the test will fail, so if the control part works that is a promising sign.

Rabbits are more closely related to humans than sheep, goats or dogs are, so it might work with rabbits even if it doesn't work for those animals.

The day to test on should be adjusted for the change of species but the way you run the test should not change. In particular, waiting longer for a result wont help, it will just make the test less reliable.

It is probably not worth testing before day 8. By about day 20 hormone levels have probably stopped rising and levelled off, so if you can't detect a pregnancy by then the test probably isn't working.

Related links:
How home pregnancy tests work

A list of home tests and their claimed sensitivities.

Using rabbits to test for pregnancy in humans

Timings in rabbit pregnancy:
http://placentation.ucsd.edu/rabbitfs.htm
http://m.reproduction-online.org/conten ... d=22580370

The scientific way to collect rabbit pee
"The rabbits were kept in specially constructed metabolism cages equipped. with wire-screened floors permitting the urine to drop onto galvanized iron funnels emptying into collection bottles."

Good luck.

I can't see how it would work.

Pregnancy tests detect a hormone called "Human chorionic gonadotrophin", and in levels that vary - cheaper tests only detect higher levels. You pay for the increase in sensitivity. It's not actually a true/false test, even though the results look that way. It's an If hcg levels are over X, then true, if hcg levels are under X, then false.

Latest posts

Back