Pregnacy Test? Is there a way to KNOW...?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucesquatch

Reaction score
I have read Storey's Guide to Rabbits and been on several blogs (this being the only one that let me register, Thanks!) and I have heard that the question of a mating sticking is really just guess work.

I am at my third try at a 'day 31' and both excited and nervous...I am rethinking all that 'making like bunny rabbits' talk...so far they are just hopping around and eating my food.

That is not what I expected...thoughts?

How old is she, did you check her color, did you palpate at 14 days, did you watch the mating to be sure it took place, did you do follow up matings?
Also, are you mating the same buck to a different doe? Is the other doe taking, if not, it could be the buck is sterile.

I agree that more information would help... Age of doe, previous breedings if any, age of buck. Did you witness the breedings and did the buck fall off? Did the doe lift her hindquarters for him or plant her bunny-butt to the floor?

Day 31 is the average length of gestation, but she could kindle anytime in the next five days... Does often run late. So don't take out the nest box!

You do have to make sure that they "tie", which is what my boyfriend calls it, apparently that's what they call it in the dog world, and calling it that has kind of stuck.

This is my method, and it has served me well. Breed, breed again the next day, and breed again the third day. Count down four weeks then go backwards two days. Put the box in that day. Pray real hard and hope to God she's pregnant, but don't give up hope until the 35th day after the third breeding. If you're lucky like me, you'll find good friends who are good palpaters, or depending on your breed, your does will really show that big baby belly. My Checkereds do, and back when I had Britannias they really showed a lot.

We usually breed twice within 12 hours, with (hopefully) three "successes" each breeding.

Never tried an EPT with them, though. :lol:

The doe is about 7 months old, first time out for her, but the buck is about a 1 1/2 yrs and we did the one hour a day for two days in a row and (for lack of a better term) we watched for it...alas

I did not notice lifting of the hind quarters or her bearing down to the floor either...although I have an older doe that we have tried a few times and she grabs the floor like there's a tornado...she will be our first pot of "prude stew"...

Today is day 31...and the box is in. She is normally very friendly (a family favorite), but has become more skiddish since we bred her (evidence?) so I have not felt her belly (is it too late or dangerous at this point?).

This is my first jump into starting to act like, sort of, like, a farmer...sort of...I started with buns because it sounded like they would do all the 'work'...and yet...

brucesquatch":jk3noin1 said:
The doe is about 7 months old, first time out for her, but the buck is about a 1 1/2 yrs and we did the one hour a day for two days in a row and (for lack of a better term) we watched for it...alas

I did not notice lifting of the hind quarters or her bearing down to the floor either...although I have an older doe that we have tried a few times and she grabs the floor like there's a tornado...she will be our first pot of "prude stew"...

Today is day 31...and the box is in. She is normally very friendly (a family favorite), but has become more skiddish since we bred her (evidence?) so I have not felt her belly (is it too late or dangerous at this point?).

This is my first jump into starting to act like, sort of, like, a farmer...sort of...I started with buns because it sounded like they would do all the 'work'...and yet...

Yep, they don't really "breed like rabbits" sometimes... :evil: Hang in there, it does get easier...or at least more familiar.

Mine never "breed like rabbits", so don't feel bad. I jump through all sorts of hoops to get them bred and then still hope and wait for who knows what ending, lol.
I breed 2x a day for 3 days, usually will leave the doe in the bucks cage if I'm out in the yard doing something. Force matings, pinned down w/a string on their tails. Even if the perfect color, they never freaking lift! I only had one lift, she was with my SF who failed, then forced w/the Cali and when I took the string off her and he went for her again, then she lifted. >.< Never before or since, I don't get it. All get fed great, none are fat, they get tons of hay and grasses, even time out of their cages, nice airy setup, little to no stress, blah. All equals me stressing and doing nearly all the work!

Rabbits are an easy farm animal because of size, little food/$ needed and their cages. Once you get a horse or sheep/goat, if it aint an easy keeper/air fern and you have little land, all your money will go into food and you'll end up broke. :/
Luckily, my sheep and horses eat only grass until Feb-April, then they get hay, though the sheep will not eat it. :D

I'm not much for palpation, but at 20 something days, you should be able to put your hand under her, cup her belly and feel the babies moving.

brucesquatch":31j6nq22 said:
I have an older doe that we have tried a few times and she grabs the floor like there's a tornado...she will be our first pot of "prude stew"...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

brucesquatch":4m38rxqv said:

The buck will fall off, and usually the buck and/or the doe will grunt or squeal when they tie. If they're just humping, that's like the human equivilent of dry humping with pants on.

umm, rabbits do not 'tie'-- they are stimulation ovulators, so there must be some 'play' involved to trigger the release of the ova.

Frosted Rabbits":7cbjc97z said:
umm, rabbits do not 'tie'-- they are stimulation ovulators, so there must be some 'play' involved to trigger the release of the ova.

Tie as in connect. They can hump all day long, but if they don't connect, as in penis actually inserting and the buck finishing, there won't be any babies. We call it tying at our house, I know its not the actual correct term but that's what we've been calling it.

Once upon a time they would inject human urine into a rabbit and if the rabit died the woman was pregnant (or the other way round, I forget) Maybe we could take rabbit urine and UMMM Never mind. Bad idea. :shock: :twisted:

Everything here is fertile. My four month old has been pressing her butt against the cage, rolling on the floor, trying to attract the buck next to her. A real hot mama, to say the least,

hoodat":38j2ktuj said:
Maybe we could take rabbit urine and UMMM Never mind. Bad idea. :shock: :twisted:

:lol: Priceless!

Someone specific in mind?

hoodat":24rt48kk said:
Once upon a time they would inject human urine into a rabbit and if the rabit died the woman was pregnant (or the other way round, I forget) Maybe we could take rabbit urine and UMMM Never mind. Bad idea. :shock: :twisted:

I thought the rabbit "died" because they had to kill it to open it up and look at the ovaries. The hCg in the urine did something to the rabbits ovaries that told them whether or not a woman was pregnant. We are better off nowadays. Much easier to just pee on a stick...don't you think? :roll:

Latest posts

Back