Prefix Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I was reaching in for check on Astolat, my "I'm evil and likely preggo" doe.... She bit my hand pretty hard and got some blood,but not too bad. Due to kindle on the 27th.Assuming she does,my question though is:if I bought her bred will any offspring of hers I deem show quality be under her previous breeders prefix or my prefix? (Haven't even decided on a good prefix...guess PEACH is cute and short and to the point). I don't want to step on any toes just starting out!

Depends on the breeder. The kit mine got back from me will have her prefix, the rest will have mine. I knew this because she didn't list this litter as being born to her on her website, which is what she does with all of her litters.

I have always gone on the assumption that the person owning the doe on the date she was bred ... is the breeder. and have used either Their prefix or at the least... their name on the rabbit.
When We own the doe at the time of breeding we use our prefix. jmo of course.

I would get in touch with the breeder who sold her to you.
Come to a unified decision as you may want to deal with
that breeder in the future. Not a good idea to burn bridges
before you have crossed them.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

If I buy a rabbit, any pedigree, registration, etc. is normally left with the previous owner's name on the paperwork. Any rabbit born out of that rabbit is mine and thus has my name on it. This helps me in future generations to decipher which rabbits were born under my ownership and which were purchased.

Also, if the previous breeder did not take the time to earmark the rabbit, I normally put its name (or some abbreviation of it) into the ear.

I agree with Dennis. Just call her and ask. That way, you avoid any misunderstandings.

I put no prefix on rabbits I name that I did not breed myself including pedigrees with no name from breeders that would normally have a prefix. I've occasionally bought multiple related rabbits and been given one pedigree and an ear number and birthdate of the others scribbled on the back or a pedigree of a littermate cause they didn't have that specific rabbit's pedigree on them, sent the wrong one, whatever... so had to name them myself. The next generation from my buck and doe or if I breed my doe by payment to another breeder's buck would get my prefix. So there is one generation on many of my pedigrees that has no prefix at the spot where the line changed hands.

I agree with RandomRabbit. The person who decides which animals to pair up is the breeder. If you buy a bred doe, you own the litter, but you can not claim to be the breeder, because there was no intellectual thought process involved on your part.

I bought a breeding pair from Vulture Pine Farms, so their names are Vulture Pine Raisen and Vulture Pine Bride as an example. Their kits however, born in my barn AND because I chose the rabbits from the 100 or so they had for sale will have the prefix 'Farmhouse' for example Farmhouse Stitch or Farmhouse Chickpea. If I had purchase the doe already bred I would have given the kits the names Vulture Pine Stitch or Vulture Pine Chickpea. Hope that helps.

What if you got them from just a small breeder, no rabbitry name, would you use the owner's name or w/e name they gave the rabbit and then the name you give it?

ChickiesnBunnies":1zycnwng said:
What if you got them from just a small breeder, no rabbitry name, would you use the owner's name or w/e name they gave the rabbit and then the name you give it?

That is what i do... i would use the person's last neme "Thompson's Razamataz" as an example. and, yes, even if i don't particularly like the name they gave... that is what i use.

What about when you see rabbits that are named like..."Vulture Pine's Bride of Farmhouse Rabbits" where it shows both? Which one is the breeder and which one is the owner?

OneAcreFarm":smzxrm5w said:
What about when you see rabbits that are named like..."Vulture Pine's Bride of Farmhouse Rabbits" where it shows both? Which one is the breeder and which one is the owner?

That one... i couldn't begin to guess. Personally... i do not do that. But everyone has their own thoughts on it.

My breeding... my names. Someone else did the breeding... their name or something that reflects the original breeder.

I have a doe I named Miyuki because they didn't give me her pedigree just her birthdate and ear tag on her sister's pedigree since he didn't know I wanted 2 does and didn't bring it so I gave her what name I wanted. I'm sure no one cares. Her sire line is Jonesy's and her dam's line is Zimdar's. From her I just sold Kai Kousou carrying my prefix by Swenson's D25 which is the same people I got the 2 doe's from. I also had Ashige from them and made many Kai mini rex from him because they sent me his sister's pedigree by mistake and never his name so I named him with no prefix. Most breeders wouldn't care but I could use their last name like they did on the buck's pedigree if I really wanted to be correct. It's just rather long and they didn't care enough to send me a name so I figured it didn't matter.

My thought is that the prefix should be attributed to the person who bred the rabbit, not a subsequent owner of said rabbit or offspring. If I bought a bred rabbit and kits were born in my barn, they would carry the original breeders prefix. If I bought a pair and bred them myself, the kits would carry my prefix.

Thank you for posting because I have two rabbits that I traded for and I did not breed. They were not marked but I have pedigrees. We agreed to mark them with a C for his first name and # ,but I had to mark them. I only had the letters C and R since that is what I bought for my kit to mark mine Currituck Rabbitry . Wasn't I lucky that his name starts with C.
Now I know to name them after his rabbitry on the papers. Thanks.

Rabbits are shown with tattoo numbers and the "prefix" never enters into it. Anything born in your own barn can be named/tattoo'd as you see fit. Some rabbits' pedigrees are all only tattoo numbers/letters anyways. A rabbit that wins at a show is only identified by its breed age,colour/markings and sex plus the owner's name at the time of the win and the rabbit's personal name never enters into that.

I mark my rabbits to refelct certain items-- generally, a rabbit I buy has "P" as part of it's ear tatt if it did not come tatted for example, the three boys I got from Skysthelimit are "BR"(her rabbitry)a number, then "P" then the name that goes on the pedigree I make out for my records uses Her rabbitry abbreviation, BR's Jack Daniels. Any offspring I get from these rabbits will have FA as their prefix and in their ear tatts.

Latest posts

Back