Popple Watch Begins... Final Count

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanrose

Reaction score
I have 5 does due in the next 10 days.. Gave the first 3 girls their nest boxes yesterday once I got back from my trip. Day 27 for 2, day 25 for another. This morning one had nested, destroyed it, and pulled a bit of fur. The other doe was laying there looking miserable, and the 3rd who is a first timer and due later had built a beautiful nest. I had been doubting she was pregnant, since I bought her bred but maybe I was wrong (I always put a box in regardless). Meanwhile the 2 girls due on the 10th are busy giving me the evil eye and picking at their food.

I have a love/hate relationship with Popple Watching.. And I have never had this many does due at once. I go from worrying I won't get any babies, to worrying I'll end up with 50 fuzzy babies. Who else is on popple watch thins week?

Final Count:

10 REW
7 Black
6 Tort/Fawn/Red (jury still out on colors)
1 chocolate
1 agouti
----
Total:25. 100% live births - we'll see if I lose any this week.

Next round of does are due the 10- 13. I have four litters on the ground now. After my fiasco last week, three of the six kits survived from that litter, and 8 of the 10 from the other. I've got three more does due the end of April.

Girls are still staring at me while I stare at them. Well, one is looking uncomfortable, but the others aren't. Sigh. I need to put boxes in with the other girls tomorrow, I gave them both some hay to play with tonight. Neither is eating except for their supplement. The other girls started eating today, maybe babies are moving down.. Or wishful thinking.

__________ Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 am __________

Stormed ALL night. Princessa started nesting, in front of her box (seriously??) but I got up this morning to 7 FAT babies, active, warm babies. She was a little miffed when I took them out to count them. I'll move the nest into something containable and leave her alone. At first glance it looks like 6 REW and 1 chocolate, unless I missed some color on a pink baby (possible). Considering this is her first litter in 11 months, not too shabby. Lizzie is just hanging out. I think she's having a smaller litter than the last time, at least she doesn't feel as full. Of course the other night I dreamed she had 22, all different colors too - broken, REW, black, agouti..<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:16 pm __________<br /><br />I was WAY wrong on colors - we have reds, maybe a fawn 1 REW, and a chocolate agouti. No wonder I was wrong, it's hard to concentrate with a fire breathing dragon mama bunny guarding the nest. But she's a good mom and has tons of milk - not sure if it's my supplementing or just her. Once Lizzie finally pops that should tell me more. She is still just hanging out. So is the new doe, due tomorrow. I can feel babies bouncing in both of them though.

2013-04-06

The REW is on the right in this photo, and the other on top is the MAYBE fawn (maybe red?)

Finally!!!

What a nice litter! I can't wait to see what colors they are. :p

:congratulations:

Thanks, I do love that litter :). They're doing really well.

Lizzie had 3 this morning, I thought she was carrying a smaller litter, and she went 2 days over with them. Not sure if it's due to the fact it is a REALLY tight linebreeding (she the product of a 1/2 brother/1/2 sister breeding, and I bred her BACK to her double grandsire as a test), or if it was just timing. They are BIG babies, no surprise there with just a few. However, she didn't cover them up well and they were a bit chilled. I warmed them up, and returned them, adding one from Princessa's litter as well. I probably should have added 2, and evened them out completely but Princessa has so much milk I figured one extra won't hurt her.

No other nesting yet, though one doe is due today.

Congratulations on the beautiful popples!

I just came back in from staring, ahhm, checking, topping food, and did the staring trying to guess how many. I see movement in my beveran doe, she was sleeping on her side and you could see movement in there, so cool!

Sabrina had her litter this AM - sometime between midnight and 5:00 AM. She built a pretty good nest, and pulled plenty of hair for a first time mom. There are 9 or 10 in there! Seriously. I think I counted 6 or 7 REWs and 3 blacks. But it was early and she was honking, squeaking and overall freaking out so I made it short and I haven't bothered them the rest of the day. They're small, but looked good. I'll get a 100% accurate count tomorrow morning after she has a chance to calm down a little bit. Right now she's eating romaine lettuce and acting a little bit happier. Still have 2 more girls to go, I think I felt movement in both, so we'll see. I'm hoping one has a smaller litter so I can move a few over from Sabrina, that is going to be a handful to raise for a first litter.

2013-04-10_15-09-09_367.jpg

Princessa's reds/fawns

2013-04-10_15-08-46_676.jpg

Another one.

2013-04-10_15-07-05_555.jpg

Lizzie's REWs, Black, and Princessa's chocolate<br /><br />__________ Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 pm __________<br /><br />Chica had 3, 3 blacks and an agouti. Cute little babies, and I should be able to move some of Sabrina's babies over there to lighten her load! One more girl due any time... I can feel babies moving around, just waiting to see what she's got in there :).

My last girl poppled tonight, a very small litter, just 2. Looks like a REW and a red(?)

I put 2 of Sabrina's in there with her, and she freaked out, and started charging the new kits. For the record, 2 other litters have fosters of one sort or another.. So, I took them out, (uninjured) put them back and wished them luck. Sabrina is a big girl so hopefully feeding 8 will be ok. I fostered 2 of her REWs earlier to another litter.

Pearl otherwise seems calm with her 2, she carefully reinspected her nest and adjusted the babies. At least she doesn't mind ME in the cage (she's the only one, but has always been my most friendly sweet girl, she loves people..) I'll be up to check them once more, and make sure they're warm but they were well fed and snuggled in.

So the final count is 25:

10 REW
7 Black
6 Tort/fawn/red (not sure which colors I have yet)
1 Chocolate
1 Agouti.

I've started emailing people on my waiting list to let them know, and now the fun part begins. Though I'll be happy when the litters are all furred out. I think I worry too much :) More pictures tomorrow..

Latest posts

Back