Pictorial rabbit size chart

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
What I am looking for is not a dead rabbit size chart (though that could be helpful for selling raw food) BUT more what I am looking for is a pictorial chart that shows gradual sizes up from the dwarf breeds up through the giant breeds.

So that people can better picture what a two pound rabbit might be like and then a 3 lb up to a 20 lb rabbit.

I've had a LOT of confused rabbit people contacting me lately asking why a mini rex is not a dwarf breed but a small breed and what's the difference and I would like to either have a link on my site that I can direct them to OR...
be able to have a picture or five on my site to actually show them the differences. It's hard to show on camera since rarely are pictures taken with the same size object next to a mature version of that rabbit.

Can anyone help???

Thanks.

Something kind of like this, but for rabbit breeds?

I have seen nicer charts comparing horse breeds example: "Shire, Arab, Hackney" silhouettes overlaid on each other.
I imagine with rabbit breeds that'd be a nice, and yes, very helpful, chart.

ladysown":1t23i34c said:
why a mini rex is not a dwarf breed but a small breed and what's the difference

I was always told mini rex were a dwarf breed, as they have the dwarf gene. Like whereas polish are very small they dont have the dwarf gene, they are just a small breed

But agreed something like this would be a help!

Hm, I can only line up what I have...
Hoping to get LH though.
Would a drawing help?

I can do Rex vs mini Rex, Silver Fox, Angora, Woolies and the Hollands, with a measuring tape back ground. I am forever trying to explain to the people the difference between Rex and Mini Rex.

cool. That would be neat to have. :)

I'm going to see about setting up three of my rabbits against each other to show size differences. But I don't know that they will cooperate. :)

I think it's an excellent idea!

I would love to try creating something like this, if you don't mind :) My art senses are tingling!

I envision something like the chart DumansArk posted, with one breed representing each size group. Each one could be a different solid color, yet clearly recognizable by the breed shape.

Which breeds do you think would be best to use to compare against?

comparative sizes in what would be helpful to me since these are predominately what is found around here
.... Flemish giant, English Lop, New Zealand, harlequin, velveteen lop (yes, not a recognized variety), mini lop, mini rex, himilayan, holland lop, dwarf hotot, polish, netherland dwarf

around here the hotots are all bigger than the polish but I think they are supposed to be around the same size. The mini lops are all fair bigger than the hollands as well.

Others may have different ideas.

I would be appreciative of your efforts. :)

image.php

Still a rough draft, however, what do you guys think?

Should weights be added to the table as well? Any other breeds?

wonderful. that will certainly help explain size differences. :) and weights would be good.<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:30 am __________<br /><br />though query.... aren't english lop bigger than NZ?

Adding in weights, I will! XD

Lol, I had some serious contemplating to do when it came to order placement of the new Zealand and the English lop....It ultimately came down to weight over body size, with minimum weight for English lops being 10.5lbs and New Zealands having a max weight of 12lbs.

Mind you, this is just what I personally thought would work best, however if you'd like them to be switched in the chart, I can do that :D

I think the body 'shape' between English Lop and NZ is accentuated by the placement it has right now-- putting it up one spot may dimish the effect..

Frosted Rabbits":3fwwymi1 said:
I think the body 'shape' between English Lop and NZ is accentuated by the placement it has right now-- putting it up one spot may dimish the effect..
I agree, the set up you have right now looks the best proportionately.
Also could you add an angora/wool breed?

Back