pen or cage size for NZ rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goatiegirl

Reaction score
I would like to make pens for my future meat rabbits. I have so many ideas and questions running around in my head about how to do it. But I think I should just start with a basic cage set up for the 2 does and 1 buck. (Later I'd like to try colony raising.)

How much space does each rabbit need? I heard 1 sq ft per pound of rabbit. Is that a good rule of thumb?

My husband and son are getting into welding so we now have a MIG welder and he is going to buy a cutting torch and other goodies. What should I make the cages out of? I heard chicken wire is bad, so I won't do that. Where do you get your materials from? We have a Tractor Supply where I got my goat fencing from but I don't know if they carry smaller square holes of fencing.

How many cages do I need? I'm guessing 1 for the buck and 1 for each doe. And then a grown out pen for the weaned kits. How big should a grow out pen been and how many kits to be in there?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to do it right :)

welcome to rabbittalk. 1/2"x1" wire for the floors and 1"x2" wire for the sides is what i use. Some folks like to use the 1/2"x 1" around the bottoms of the sides as baby savers though i have never had a problem. most tractor supply stores can get this wire. Cage clips for assembly and door latches can be obtained from bass equipment company or Klubertanz equipment co. Wire can also be ordered from these companys but shipping costs usually are too high. good luck

Willies has it right on the wire- and Tractor Supply usually has both sizes.

Something I have learned from our cage building- those wires are not welder friendly. It can be done, but takes a steady hand and a LOT of practice. You will burn through the wire if it's touched. Most people don't weld their cages, they cut the wire and clip the pieces together. We are welding only because we are using a metal frame.

As far as cage sizes- I go big, but a lot of folks do 3'x2' or 3'x30" and most do 18" high, I believe. Some make the buck cages a little smaller. I don't know about grow out cage size for meat rabbits, but I'm sure someone with more experience will reply.

Our Tractor Supply doesn't carry very heavy gauge cage wire. I got mine at Lowe's in the garden section.

I would not buy the wire from TSC, it is usually GBW and 16g or less. You want 14g GAW, 1/2" x 1" for floor and 1" x 2" for sides and top. Babysaver wire is a MUST for doe cages. 36" x 30" x 18" for does with litters and 30" x 30" or 30" x 24" for bucks, open does and grow outs. As was mentioned, you don't want to weld this wire, it will destroy the galvanization. Use Jclips or C-Rings instead.

We have lots of snakes and raccoons here so I went with half inch by inch for all my cages. So far the only snake that has gotten in got in through an open j-feeder.

36 inch by 30 inch by 18 is the size I do but be sure to make your doors MUCH bigger than you think you need and I hinge mine to fall down and out of my way.

Also try to have your feeders and waterers all in the same place in each cage, it makes it easier to care for them all.

And I usually just leave my kits in with the doe for 8 weeks and then butcher them and breed her. Any time I build a grow out cage I just stuff it full of new breeding stock! :oops:

Latest posts

Back