Pen G or LA200 dose on a 6 pound rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If she's more alert and asking for pets, I'd seriously consider continuing the LA200 regimen. Maybe it's some other infection, and the wet dewlap is a by-product of her not feeling well. It could be Pseudomonas, and she could have systemic something else.

I'd be thinking about continuing the LA200, and doing the vinegar thing on her dewlap.

:clover:

That's a good idea, Miss M, since it seems to be helping. :)

Good luck, Dayna!

I don't know the dosage for LA200... I'll see if I can find it.<br /><br />__________ Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:48 pm __________<br /><br />Okay, so LA200 is oxytetracycline, 200mg/ml.

Dosage according to Medirabbit:

Subcutaneously or intramuscular: 15mg/kg 1 - 3 times a day
Oral: 50mg/kg twice a day

I read elsewhere that it should not be given orally, as calcium in the digestive tract inactivates the drug. Besides, I'm sure it would upset gut flora worse that way, I'm sure.

I finally found one place that says duration. It is supposed to be given every day for 14 days.

6 pound rabbit is 2 3/4 kg.

Last series of penicillin here was in 2018. Here's the blog page about it: March 22nd, 2018 Hillside Farm Hawaii News Penicillin Treatments While doing research to figure out what to give them, there were several types of penicillin mentioned in the various websites as well as a fairly broad range of dosage. A lot of it had to do with the length of treatment, too. Smaller doses in close together days or larger doses more days apart. The end dosage was about 1.5 cc, if I remember correctly, but that was only good for the situation here which was doses a week apart and treating syphilis. It's probably different for your bunnies. Fortunately, if there's one species that has been studied for drug use, it's bunnies. Well, lab rats, too, I'd suspect. And, I'm not a veterinary and don't even play one on TV so my info isn't professional.

He sure is, our one and only dustbunny! He was already perking up last night, he came up and stood up to beg like he has been doing for years. 😊 Thank you for your well wishes!View attachment 29467
Just last night:)
Glad he's feeling better. He certainly is a sweet venerable old gentleman! :D

Latest posts

Back