Pen G or LA200 dose on a 6 pound rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
Anyone know the correct dose, number of doses, doses per day, etc in CC/ML for a rabbit using Pen G?

I have a rabbit that is sick. And I'd rather try treating her than culling her.

Also can I give her Power Punch? I use it for goats, but I was thinking a few drops might help her up her energy. I didn't realize she was sick but she's lost about half her body weight.

__________ Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:03 pm __________

I also have LA200 if that's better.

Dayna, what are the symptoms, apart from weight loss? Pen G can be very useful for abscesses and other bacterial infections, but it can also make some conditions worse.

Meantime, I'll try to locate the dosage we used on Alice when she had an abscess. She was about 6 pounds.

MaggieJ":1gzhkp1o said:
Thanks, OAF! Far better to use a source like that than my hazy recollections of a dosage that may not have been correct in the first place.

I have terrible short term memory, so I never rely on it! :lol:

Her dewlap is all crusty and gross also all greenish yuck on the outsides of her mouth. I have no idea if it's the dreaded P or something else. I've not seen any sneezing, she's not overheated. She has lost about 3 pounds though! Poop looks normal, no matting on front legs.

I took photos I'll be able to upload them in a couple hours when I get home.

I've used LA200 on my buns before. Had a random sneeze with no snot or any other issues. Never found out what it was, but it cleared it up immediately. That being said, LA 200 supposedly is useless for P if that ends up being what your doe has.

I dosed my buns at 0.1cc/ml per pound body weight once a day. I think I read somewhere to do it for 12 days, but since antibiotics are usually harsh for rabbits and since the sneeze went away after the first dose, I only continued treatment for 7 days. Haven't had a reoccurance either.

Wow... I have no idea what that could be, Dayna! :eek:

I have used 1/4 cc PenG once/day for 7 days. I have used this on 4 - 6lb rabbits. I found a dosage such-and-such per kg, and did some math to arrive at that dosage.

That said, I found several regimens for the stuff, and finally just picked one. :(

I felt around in her mouth and looked at her teeth. All seemed well... I'm so confused. She seems to have a fever (she feels hot to the touch) can I give her asprin?

No, no smell. I got her to eat a bit of carrot and fed her some power punch. She's not wanting to eat, but I think that's the fever? I felt around in her mouth a lot (she's very lethargic so she let me) and I didn't feel any bumps, hot spots, ick, nothing.

I have nothing to add to this, but did have a question. Where do you guys get your Penicillin from? Do you get it from a livestock vet, or is it available OTC through lifestock/farm supply shops?

dayna":33aoncq3 said:
I felt around in her mouth and looked at her teeth. All seemed well... I'm so confused. She seems to have a fever (she feels hot to the touch) can I give her asprin?
You can give her aspirin. The 81mg chewable is the easiest. I read that you can give up to 2 of those tablets per day. I halved them to give them to Pinto, and gave him 1/2 twice a day.

Someone was warning not to give aspirin to rabbits, but it's rather common... and it is basically an extracted and standardized form of the active ingredient in willow bark.

That looks like "wet dewlap". It is caused by the pseudomonas bacteria.

http://www.vetnext.com/search.php?s=aan ... 8318%20280

Barbi Brown treats it with either vinegar or Vanodine applied twice daily for one week.

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/meds.htm<br /><br />__________ Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:00 am __________<br /><br />Pseudomonas can also cause infections in people.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/pseu ... c-overview

It can cause a fever as well. The fact that your rabbit has a fever suggests that the infection is not topical but systemic. :( I doubt that Penicillin will help, as it is resistant to many antibiotics, and is a common cause of infection in hospitals.

Well crap on the dewlap thing. I did give her a dose of LA200 yesterday.

I gave her 1/2 cc according to this page: http://www.zinnsrabbitfarm.com/rabbit_health.htm It was really the only helpful dosing I could find where someone actually gave the dose they talked about.

So she had that and the 1/2 cc power punch yesterday. I did wipe off her face, but didn't use vinegar. I'll do that today as suggested. I assume it can't hurt her.

She was more alert today and asked for pets. So I assume something made her feel at least a little better. I'll go read up on that dewlap thing now.

Latest posts

Back